Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Beach

S

scale700

VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
I test drove a brand new beach on Tuesday, it was the two seat/storage box version (which is what I am in the market for ideally) and 150ps 6 speed manual. I thought it was a very nice drive indeed but I also thought it was pretty noisy inside, surprisingly so, quite a few rattles and a fair amount of road noise. To be honest I was expecting better, especially considering the price. I was quite disappointed by it.
I had an SE a couple of years ago and I remember that being a lot quieter, of course there's more equipment fitted to an SE/ocean which may potentially absorb some noise but this has put me off a bit.
I had read somewhere that the level of trim was different between an SE and a beach, although I don't know how accurate that is, but this beach was very van-like in terms of noise level compared to my old SE.
Anyhow I'm test driving a brand new Ocean later and I can't wait to hear if there is a difference.

Hi - i have the same 150 manual Beach with standard 16 wheels - it depends what you are used to, but i cant believe i am driving a van and find it surprisingly refined and smooth. I was thinking i might have to sacrifice a bit of smooth / noise to drive this jack of all trades, but apart from a jiggly ride over rutted tracks / roads its very fine. As you say when you get a bit of carpet down and few bits / bobs around it makes the difference.

I find it insanely quiet. Test drove new T5SE demo and engine was noisier.
Even compared to Honda CRV which I drive it is way less noise inside.
Got comfort dash and acoustics package though. Dash has influence as well, higher quality softer materials.

I suggest something was not correctly placed ?
I have had well specced T 5 for over 9 years now, 5 in total.
I sold my wifes 2011 T5.1 Caravelle Executive last September which we had from new as we thought we could live with only 1 T5 in the family.
I bought a new T6 Beach 150 Dsg approx 5 weks ago and it is much much quiter and refined than her Caravelle and my T5.1 Kombi which has been completely sound deadened using Dynamat and then carpeted.

Well I must admit the I found the Ocean to be be a quieter ride. There was a rattle from somewhere in the cupboard but I'm talking about general road noise. The whole thing felt more refined. The door cards are different, more plush. The ones in the beach are the same as in the commercial van, or at least this was certainly the case in the previous generation which leads me to think there may be some truth in the suggestion that there is a difference in the trim/insulation level.
I like the beach, I like the simplicity of it and that's why I've been looking at one over another SE but it seems that they have just put a pop-top on a basic transporter and charge a fortune for it. A low mileage used SE seems like better value for money.
Maybe I'm being super fussy but I think if you are spending that much cash you're allowed to be!
I still can't make my mind up though.

'it seems that they have just put a pop-top on a basic transporter and charge a fortune for it.'

I think you've already made your mind up. :)
If that's what it felt like for you I don't think you'll want to buy that. Go for the ocean.

There are some differences. One is a converted transporter/ shuttle by trim. Ones a converted caravelle.
Both very good for sound imo. My T5 SE is super quiet compared to other vehicles, again imo. Mainly due to common rail fuelling :)

If you found a T6 Beach noisy & unrefined you should double-check your expectations (or drive one back-to-back with a Transporter).

Mine is eerily quiet & just some wind noise around the A-pillars / mirrors - I'm personally staggered by how refined VW can make it. YMMV.

It seems you already have decided. Good luck, but if you are that sensitive to rattle from a brand new empty vehicle, wait until you load an oceans kitchen full of kitchen stuff, it will rattle you crazy.
Or are you intending on driving empty all the time with that?
I dont think it is VW's thought with the Ocean vs Beach.
Maybe consider something else completely than a VW camper?

I bought my t6 beach without driving one , and was pleasantly surprised on how quiet it was compared to my old t5 van, my current Hyundai van, or my other normal cars. Haven't driven it back to back with the ocean as I didn't want an ocean, but you can cruise at a good speed on the motorway and still hear the kids arguing in the back (unfortunately). The only real noise I've noticed is a rattle from the awning when I have the drivers window open but this may be the awning not being retracted enough, I haven't had a look at it yet. Overall it's much smoother and quieter than any other "van" I've driven and a lot more pleasant to drive than other large motorhomes ived used.

It seems you already have decided. Good luck, but if you are that sensitive to rattle from a brand new empty vehicle, wait until you load an oceans kitchen full of kitchen stuff, it will rattle you crazy.
Or are you intending on driving empty all the time with that?
I dont think it is VW's thought with the Ocean vs Beach.
Maybe consider something else completely than a VW camper?
I would suggest the kitchen hasn't been packed correctly. My SE is fully packed, apart from water and I use it as a daily driver and the roads around home are rougher than some off-road tracks. No rattles from the kitchen or any other storage as long as the potholes are less than 6" in depth, or 15 cms. On the motorway there is more noise from the radio than anything else.

Back