Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New 10 spoke alloy worming already

Betty67

Betty67

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Bought these from vw sept lat year so fitted 8 months, just don a spring wash and found 1 alloy showing multiple worming/ corrosion and a small amount on second non on others no curling or other damage at all. Has anyone bought these and found fault will be going into be soon as the should be covered under warranty but not sure how much wriggling they will. Any advice would be helpful, and yes I do know why I should not buy diamond cut alloys! Now

IMG_5065.jpeg

IMG_5067.jpeg

IMG_5066.jpeg

Most of the marks on those look like the lacquer has been chipped by stones, gritting lorries etc

Most of the marks on those look like the lacquer has been chipped by stones, gritting lorries etc
Agreed. Its does seem to be directional affecting the leading edge principally. Starts there and the extends once the protective lacquer has be compromised. A weakness in the design for sure. Wheels are always going to come in contact with stones and road debris.

Good result for you! I wonder when the manufacturers will are up to the fact this style of wheel is really not fit for purpose?

I did ask if all wheels could be returned and new set of non diamond cut ones chosen, this was a ask too far, worth a try!

Reopening as the 2 new ones fitted in july are now worse than before, strange to 2 original ones not replaced are still fine!
Lets see what happens this time?

Reopening as the 2 new ones fitted in july are now worse than before, strange to 2 original ones not replaced are still fine!
Lets see what happens this time?
Had similar with a previous set of Toluca alloys, both near side corroded within a year despite regular washing etc., both off side no problems - warranty guy at the dealer said it was usual to see that, he reckoned it was down to the road camber with the near side being far more routinely exposed to standing water, salt, debris etc. than the off side. Made some sense, might be an explanation depending on which of your wheels are affected.

Had similar with a previous set of Toluca alloys, both near side corroded within a year despite regular washing etc., both off side no problems - warranty guy at the dealer said it was usual to see that, he reckoned it was down to the road camber with the near side being far more routinely exposed to standing water, salt, debris etc. than the off side. Made some sense, might be an explanation depending on which of your wheels are affected.
Mine are offside only, if i cannot get replaced might get them powder coated

Mine are offside only, if i cannot get replaced might get them powder coated
Offside are likely more susceptible to rock impacts kicked up by passing vehicles. It seams there has to be an initial impact event allowing the water etc to get behind the protective gloss layer.

Offside are likely more susceptible to rock impacts kicked up by passing vehicles. It seams there has to be an initial impact event allowing the water etc to get behind the protective gloss layer.
This is not limitet to 1/2 places but all over the 2 wheels, cannot feel or see ant break in lacquer

This is not limitet to 1/2 places but all over the 2 wheels, cannot feel or see ant break in lacquer
We’ve had a Golf and a Polo that had very bad worming. They were both out of warranty when it started (just). My view is that a road wheel should stand up to the job they’re intended for, to run on normal road, and not roads brushed clean of road grit !

Back