Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mobility scooter charger

RinaRayDubDog

RinaRayDubDog

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi. The OM has a mobility scooter and we were wondering if we could use the inverter in our 2019 Cali Ocean to charge it if not on EHU. Or do I buy another inverter to charge whilst driving? Thanks

IMG_6562.jpeg

If it does draw 2.5 Amps at 240V, then that equates to 600 Watts. I believe the 240V socket under the driver's seat is only rated to 300 Watts.

That being said, if the output is only 24V DC at 2 Amps = 48 Watts, it must run very hot to lose the 550 Watts in transforming the voltage!!

Last edited:
If it does draw 2.5 Amps at 240V, then that equates to 600 Watts. I believe the 240V socket under the driver's seat is only rated to 300 Watts.

That being said, if the output is only 24V DC at 2 Amps = 48 Watts, it must run very hot to lose the 550 Watts in transforming the voltage!!
Thanks so another inverter is recommended?

Thank you. So a different inverter is needed

I would say so unless you have a safe way of measuring how many amps the charger draws in reality. Do you have, or know anyone who has a Tapo P110 energy monitoring plug, or similar?

as @lohr500 pointed out the numbers don't add up properly. I'd give it a go and see what happens. The advice to try measure the input current is also good.

The onboard inverter is nowhere near powerful enough I'm afraid. It's for charging laptops basically.

if the output is only 50 watts (as stated on the charger), the input will be about 60 watts to compensate for conversion losses. That will work on the cali.

if the output is only 50 watts (as stated on the charger), the input will be about 60 watts to compensate for conversion losses. That will work on the cali.
That's the Charger Output. The Input to the dedicated charger is 240v x 2.5 amps = 600w.

That's the Charger Output. The Input to the dedicated charger is 240v x 2.5 amps = 600w.
Regulations tells to mention the absolute maximum inrush current to use for fuse calculation. It will under no circumstance draw this amount of power for more than a few milliseconds. Like Yossarian said, if you have 600watt going in and only 60 watt going out, the difference (540 watt) is dissipated into heat. That is as much as a small electric fan heater.

I would say so unless you have a safe way of measuring how many amps the charger draws in reality. Do you have, or know anyone who has a Tapo P110 energy monitoring plug, or similar?
Sorry no idea

Regulations tells to mention the absolute maximum inrush current to use for fuse calculation. It will under no circumstance draw this amount of power for more than a few milliseconds. Like Yossarian said, if you have 600watt going in and only 60 watt going out, the difference (540 watt) is dissipated into heat. That is as much as a small electric fan heater.
So that’s a no?

Back