Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mid life crisis Cali Swamper!

wildslammer22

wildslammer22

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hello all. I take ownership of my dream Cali this week. A T6 Ocean with full swamper mods. I’ve previously been a frequent Campervan renter and love wild camping with my partner and our dog. I’m exited for more adventures on and off the beaten track and I look forward to tapping into the wisdom of this group.

Help me decide the best colour combo for a Pure Grey Swamper look. swamper.jpg

Hmm, depending on the accents on your van (ie assuming you don’t have the chrome pack) but I’m liking those bronze ones!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's a Coast Edition so very little chrome. Here is a pic from the retailer showing the Sand AT2's on the front and Granite on the rear. I'm with you, the Sand does go well.

wheels.jpg

Do they do a matt black option? The black ones shown have a little too much shine for me. Of the choices shown, I’m inclined to agree the bronze looks best, but matt black and gray is a bad-a$$ combination.

Do they do a matt black option? The black ones shown have a little too much shine for me. Of the choices shown, I’m inclined to agree the bronze looks best, but matt black and gray is a bad-a$$ combination.
Its more of satin finish. Def not gloss.
wheel3.jpg

I have matt black on my deep black/indium grey two tone so I’m inclined to agree! I think the sand/bronze work really well with the pure grey though.

PS pure grey is a great colour for the Cali, if I were buying a new 6.1 that’s what I would have.

I like it too but a California in Pure Grey is not available in the UK.

It would look good with the Sports Pack.

I’ts a shame VW haven’t offered a different metallic grey over the last 8 years. Having had Indium a couple of times, I really regretted ordering it the 2nd time around.

What tyres are you going for?
Shortlisted
Falken Wildpeak Trail A/T
Michelin Crossclimate 2

If the Michelin Latitude Cross had 3 peaks rating that would be my top pick. I'm hoping they come out with something new in 2024 that addresses this.

Tyres seem a bit of a minefield to me, was looking at the General AT3s the other day but want to work out what alloys I’ll buy first and then move on to the tyres.

My van’s Fortana Red, toyed with the idea of black and sand and also gun metal grey but think I’ve settled on black, looks pretty nice in the pic at the bottom (think that one’s running Fuel Zephyrs with BFG KO2s and been raised a bit). Just need to pick between all these now, I like them all!

IMG_1837.jpeg

IMG_1839.jpeg

IMG_1844.jpeg

IMG_1847.jpeg

IMG_1851.jpeg

IMG_1836.jpeg

IMG_1833.png

Last edited:
Tyres seem a bit of a minefield to me, was looking at the General AT3s the other day but want to work out what alloys I’ll buy first and then move on to the tyres.

My van’s Fortana Red, toyed with the idea of black and sand and also gun metal grey but think I’ve settled on black, looks pretty nice in the pic at the bottom (think that one’s running Fuel Zephyrs with BFG KO2s and been raised a bit). Just need to pick between all these now, I like them all!

View attachment 117368

View attachment 117369

View attachment 117370

View attachment 117371

View attachment 117372

View attachment 117373

View attachment 117374
Looks lifted and for anyone wanting to keep the height below 2m, not really an option. Shame though as it does look mutz nutz.

I’d personally go for either the 1st wheel photo above - all look good but these look to be the easiest to clean! :D

Grey van near me had the Bronze coloured wheels (not swamper) and looked good to my eye.

If Davenports on the Cali I'd just have those redone in your colour choice and save the cost of new rims,

Grey van near me had the Bronze coloured wheels (not swamper) and looked good to my eye.

If Davenports on the Cali I'd just have those redone in your colour choice and save the cost of new rims,
Mine are diamond cut 17" Aracaju's. The offset isn't ideal for the look I want and I don't want the hassle of spacers. My Coast is a keeper so happy to invest a little to get the look and performance I want.

Mine are diamond cut 17" Aracaju's. The offset isn't ideal for the look I want and I don't want the hassle of spacers. My Coast is a keeper so happy to invest a little to get the look and performance I want.
Reducing the offset will alter steering geometry and chuck more dirt down the van sides, add on parts are available to help with that issue - more cost but gets the look.

The black wheel flares on Jimmy's red Cali look really cool. Slap on a set of mud guards and that should reduce the mud slinging towards the bodywork. With that setup I'll likely go satin black.

The black wheel flares on Jimmy's red Cali look really cool. Slap on a set of mud guards and that should reduce the mud slinging towards the bodywork. With that setup I'll likely go satin black.

That’s the set up I have and I’m not getting any problems with mud on side of the van when on road.

That’s the set up I have and I’m not getting any problems with mud on side of the van when on road.

Where did you purchase your flares and a DIY job?

I like it too but a California in Pure Grey is not available in the UK.

It would look good with the Sports Pack.

I’ts a shame VW haven’t offered a different metallic grey over the last 8 years. Having had Indium a couple of times, I really regretted ordering it the 2nd time around.
It’s why I went Ascot Grey in the end. Indium just looks a bit ho hum.

I’m sure there are just as many who feel the same about Ascot Grey.