Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Lower bed board cushion

marshian70

marshian70

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Advice please
With the bed board (that divides the boot area) in the higher position, the bed is not flat when using the cushion that sits on top of it.
I'm thinking of doing away with the cushion and using a thick mattress topper. Has anyone else done this? What did you use?
Cheers

Advice please
With the bed board (that divides the boot area) in the higher position, the bed is not flat when using the cushion that sits on top of it.
I'm thinking of doing away with the cushion and using a thick mattress topper. Has anyone else done this? What did you use?
Cheers
First let us know what kind of cushion ( matrass ) came with your SE , the single or the foldable?
Depending on that you have to change the hight of the bed bord( metal grill)

First let us know what kind of cushion ( matrass ) came with your SE , the single or the foldable?
Depending on that you have to change the hight of the bed bord( metal grill)
Just a single cushion that covers the board at the rear

Just a single cushion that covers the board at the rear
In an SE ( not the beach) i think the shelf must be in high position with the single cushion....no?

For a flat bed the shelf has to be in the low position. I see that Brandrup produce an Iextend pad to go with the ixtend folding bed that appears to allow use of the bed shelf in the high position.
I wonder if anyone has one of these, or if there is a cheaper alternative?

I had a VW comfort mattress that had a built in Thicker bed board cushion.

I have done away with it, raised the rear shelf to its higher position and use an oversized single airbed that fits almost perfectly.

bed.jpg

Hi Folks,

Not a plug as such, more of a helping hand, but we could make you a thinner cushion for the parcel shelf quite easily, just let me know how thick this would need to be. I have the other dimensions, Also if this is something that a few people would require I could add it to our website ;)

Cheers
Nick

Hi Folks,

Not a plug as such, more of a helping hand, but we could make you a thinner cushion for the parcel shelf quite easily, just let me know how thick this would need to be. I have the other dimensions, Also if this is something that a few people would require I could add it to our website ;)

Cheers
Nick
Now thats not a bad idea. Would need to be the same dimensions as the Brandrup iExtend. Will try and find out

Hi Folks,

Cheers
Nick
Hi Nick, it needs to be 25mm thick, otherwise the same size as the regular parcel shelf cushion. That and one of your memory foam toppers should do the job nicely. Please let me know how much you could produce one for? Many thanks

Cheers Ross,
As per my email, we'll get you one made up today in the waterproof fabric and see how you get on
;)

We use the Brandrup topper which allows you to have the rear shelf in the higher position. Very important for us because this allows the upright storage of bottles of wine in our B&Q "natural grey" storage boxes (Granny Jen will appreciate that!). Yes it is expensive and firm to sleep on, but we find it very comfortable. On the other hand, the VW comfort mattress requires you to have the shelf in the lower position hence loss of height in storage space underneath. Yes it is softer and squidgy at the head end but this area is mostly covered by your pillow anyway.

Just tried out our replacement rear shelf cushion especially made by Nick at Comfortz Leisure - it allows the rear shelf to be kept in the higher position. Along with the Comfortz topper first impressions are very good. Thanks Nick!

I am just waking up to this discussion! So sounds a great idea to have the rear shelf in the upper position and get better access to the lower storage area. We currently have the vw comfort mattress with the zonesleep on top. It looks as if we need to swap the comfort mattress for a similar but equal thickness topper. Is the iExtend topper a trifold equal thickness mattress? Both Comfortz and Brandrup seem to describe a pad to go on the parcel shelf...but why would this be required since the shelf (in upper position) is already level with the folded down seats?

I am just waking up to this discussion! So sounds a great idea to have the rear shelf in the upper position and get better access to the lower storage area. We currently have the vw comfort mattress with the zonesleep on top. It looks as if we need to swap the comfort mattress for a similar but equal thickness topper. Is the iExtend topper a trifold equal thickness mattress? Both Comfortz and Brandrup seem to describe a pad to go on the parcel shelf...but why would this be required since the shelf (in upper position) is already level with the folded down seats?
Larkrise
I thought mine was level too until I measured it. On mine, the shelf in the upper position is actually 25mm lower than the seat/bed. I assume this is the same for all as the IExtend pad does exactly the same thing i.e. it deals with the small differential in height from board to bed. The topper or whatever you use on top then has a flat surface. Comfortz much better price than the Iextend pad though.
Cheers, Ross

Oh I see, they looked about level, but hadn't noticed a slight difference. So I guess the perfect solution would be a single comfort style mattress but with a smaller 'over the shelf' section than the standard comfort mattress. The solution described here then ( and sounds ok) is a pad to take up the small height difference and a Comfortz or more expensive Brandrup trifold mattress- have I got this right?

Oh I see, they looked about level, but hadn't noticed a slight difference. So I guess the perfect solution would be a single comfort style mattress but with a smaller 'over the shelf' section than the standard comfort mattress. The solution described here then ( and sounds ok) is a pad to take up the small height difference and a Comfortz or more expensive Brandrup trifold mattress- have I got this right?
That's it, yes!

Took some pitures of the matrass that came whit my Cali , i usually d'ont have it with me , we mostly sleep in the top , and if i need to sleep downstairs just put some xtra fleece blankets on top of the shelf to make it softer.
The matrass is pretty good , but takes a lot of space just sitting on top of the rear shelf if not used frequently
If i know up front the weather is gonna be not that good and theres a big chance of sleeping downstaires , i trow it in , that case i leave my lafuma foldable chairs at home....

image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Can I ask ...

Mr Hotel california ...

Can you give me a nice name to use? I love your posts but to keep replying so impersonally ...

Ok, just me, but I'm a warm and fuzzy person that loves to know people by their first names :rolleyes:

Can I ask ...

Mr Hotel california ...

Can you give me a nice name to use? I love your posts but to keep replying so impersonally ...

Ok, just me, but I'm a warm and fuzzy person that loves to know people by their first names :rolleyes:

My first name is Wim , not common for you guys i guess:happy
Do like Mr . Hotel California....

Wim, you must be flemish/dutch/flambard

Wim, you must be flemish/dutch/flambard
Flambart?

Flemisch indeed , but you prob knew in the BIG of Belgium there are three languages....Dutch-French-German , but you hear a lot of Arabic also:Nailbiting

Flambard ... French Flemish, normally associated around the Hondschoote /Dunkirk area.

The Flambards were very influential in 16th - 17thC Renaissance England, but especially in the banking and finance community.

Back