Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Longevity and repair cost of electric roof

T

turnitdown

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Is there any good data on the expected lifespan of the elevating roof? I'd like to buy an Ocean, but am just wary of that thing down the road, say 10-15 years, if I were to keep the van. I'd prefer a Coast but not terribly easy to find one with the right minimum spec (and impossible to find a new one, of course).

If folks have had failures, what kind of cost was involved and is this a VW-dealer job only or does it use some standard motor that could be replaced elsewhere?

Mine broke after 12 years. It cost me about £100 to fix it myself.

Other options are get an auto electrician to do it with my instructions or take it to Kernow campers.

I think the most common roof problem is the breakdown of the roof sensors. Most problems appear to be on vans 10 yrs plus and can be an expensive fix if using a VW dealer (quotes range from £750 - £3000!). I had 2 replaced at the dealers approx. £780 two yrs ago, replaced 2 myself yesterday for £36. The problem, I feel, is we wait for them to perish before we attempt to replace, by which point it’s expensive. Thinking about it if you get your sensors renewed after 8 yrs before the dreaded fault code 1000 on the control screen appears you could save yourself a lot of hassle. We do it with lots of parts when you think about it.

Looked at buying a new vehicle recently.. few dealers said do not buy an electric roof.. loads issues.

That's an odd thing to say unless they only have Beaches on the forecourt.

They had 1 beach and about 20 oceans. They showed me 3 oceans in the showroom. 2 had sagged. They said problems with the actuator either extending or sagging .. I came in afternoon and apparently the roof had been re extended that morning.

They had 1 beach and about 20 oceans. They showed me 3 oceans in the showroom. 2 had sagged. They said problems with the actuator either extending or sagging .. I came in afternoon and apparently the roof had been re extended that morning.
That's why the roof hydraulics re-pressurise and re-tension the roof automatically. As temperatures rise hydraulic oil expands, excess pressure is relieved and as temperatures drop roof sags and then automatic re-pressurisation and roof re-tensions.

A friend has the elec roof, he said it goes up and down slightly, after asking around I found 2 were the struts failed.

Back