Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

hi
I have never had any problems with discolouring or staining, as long as you put it on evenly. Spray on, then use a brush or sponge to spread it evenly and wipe off any excess and let dry. Making sure you cover every part of the bellow,

Job done!

A bellow fit for purpose! :))
Thanks for the explanation

Nothing to do with this thread!
But can you tell me if Tesco’s are doing any discounts on whiskey?????
:-000
Funny you should ask :) I did notice some good deals in the Tesco local to me - but the clever money still shops at Aldi of course.

I spoke with Adrian at VW today for the first time about my leaking 04S and can advise -

- at present he says they only a few reported cases of 04S leaking.
- as they have so few official reports 04S are seen as the solution at present, though he understands that may change with weight of evidence
- I need to go to a van centre for test and report ( my video / photos are not evidence )
- he suggested not to waterproof unless I have in writing from VW technical that it will not affect warranty

Would urge anyone with issue to register it with dealer AND VW executive office as others have already said.

Thanks this..1 goes211
cant he ask VW technical and they state their position

Thanks this..1 goes211
For me the best solution for those of us with leaking bellows and who are willing to try using a sealer, would be as follows:

• Customer sends clear photographic or video evidence to VW Exec. Office that there is a problem with leaks, along with vehicle registration number.
  • VW Exec. Office approves the use of waterproofing sealer in writing on a specific case by case basis.
  • VW Exec Office also confirm in writing that any subsequent warranty claim on the bellows will still be honoured after application of the waterproofing.
This would :
  • Avoid the customer wasting time taking their van to a VW Van Centre for testing which will only confirm what the customer has already proved.
  • Potentially negate the need for replacing the bellows, saving VW considerable warranty expense and also saving the customer time, cost and inconvenience in not having the van for several days.
  • Be better for VW than issuing a blanket "OK to use waterproofing sealer" statement which may be detrimental to perfectly functioning bellows (unlikely, but it mitigates their risk). If the customer's bellows are leaking already then VW have nothing to lose approving the use of a waterproofer.
  • Provide affected customers with a quick and easy workaround for the coming months, whilst VW gather wider feedback on the reliability of the 04S A bellows design.
  • Avoid a game of ping pong between the VW Exec Office and the Supplying Dealer's Technical/Warranty support operation, with the customer being the ball getting bounced between one and the other.
Of course, in the risk averse Corporate world we live in, the above would be too simple.

They could even specify the use of Fabsil or Aqua Tex only, as both seem to have been used successfully by members on the forum with no adverse effects reported.

Thanks this..1 goes211
That would be too simple

To be fair I tend to play the ball not the man. Adrian seems fairly straight up but technical need to approve and confirm. If that means a trip to VW van centre so be it.

It sure how much you can see but there is a distinct puddle in the corner… I don’t seem to be able to attach the video which shows it more clearly….

Our bellows is 04S dated 13/12/23

Reported to dealer today but not heard back yet

IMG_7504.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, we already know @markbrown83 reported previously.…
I emailed exec office to the address that's stated in this thread but never received a reply. Not sure if they looked up the case number and saw that I was rejecting the vehicle.

That being said, I know the service department at my dealership reported it to vw as they tried to get me in for a water test and replacement. That being said, the service guy said that they have ordered new bellows, but refused to install them as they were dated earlier than the leaking ones already installed in the van.

It sure how much you can see but there is a distinct puddle in the corner… I don’t seem to be able to attach the video which shows it more clearly….

Our bellows is 04S dated 13/12/23

Reported to dealer today but not heard back yet

View attachment 121032
Yup, had the same thing. Over the course of one evening I had to mop it up 2 - 3 times.

I emailed exec office to the address that's stated in this thread but never received a reply. Not sure if they looked up the case number and saw that I was rejecting the vehicle.

That being said, I know the service department at my dealership reported it to vw as they tried to get me in for a water test and replacement. That being said, the service guy said that they have ordered new bellows, but refused to install them as they were dated earlier than the leaking ones already installed in the van.
Have you any ideas what you fancy next or has this experience put you off Campers for good?

Yup, had the same thing. Over the course of one evening I had to mop it up 2 - 3 times.
I had new style bellows fitted to a 22 plate Coast. Same problem. I have been advised VW EO that only a few 04s problems to date. I purchased a topper but when fitted I noticed there is a 1cm discrepancy on passenger to drivers side. Topper therefore drops too low to secure it to the rail. Returned topper. (Checked and it was symmetrical). Faulty roof and bellows. Been offered my deposit back by VW and the Financial Ombudsman. Had hassle with the van for 2 years. Dealer offering no other solution. If I get my deposit and start again I lose out financially. The previous 22 bellows also leaked through front zips in the rain.

I had a call from Adrian on Monday after reporting my 04S 13/12/23 leaking bellow. I had already informed my dealership on 12/03/24 after testing them and found Leakes from both left and right front vertical seams. My California will be into the dealership for inspection on 08/04/24.

Have you any ideas what you fancy next or has this experience put you off Campers for good?
We aren't rushing into anything that's for sure.

I'm 99% sure we won't be going for a pop top again. I think we'll end up going for a bigger van if / when we get one.

@Barry Chuckle are you just trading in for a normal van or are you getting an earlier Cali?

Last edited:
I’m sure that this Easter weekend and following week will introduce this ‘Avenue of pleasure‘ to some new Cali owners who may have effected bellows and that will produce more reports back to dealers & VW, who are not even signed up to this forum. I do think the numbers will stack up with VW eventually with our unstable weather. If it was wall to wall sunshine this summer, that we would all love, these issues with individual Cali’s just won’t be identified , owners wouldn’t worry but neither will VW Know or feel responsible to do something about it. TBH we are strong with our collective ‘voice’ so keep raising issues when they happen - my Cali order has just been locked in with code 20 with a build week in May. I accept there will not be an OS5 but I’m comforted by the fact that if my OS4 does not come up to expectations, I am not the only one and will speak out.

…a shame I can’t swop over my OS2 bellows from current van but that’s the way it is…I just have to see the bigger picture

I spoke with Adrian today. He said that without more evidence this may just be seen as one off faulty goods that would be replaced like for like under warranty. At the moment for VW it’s about whether he’s actually right (I suspect not), and if not then that enough people actually come forward with the issue to be able to demonstrate there is a design issue still. He’s openly says he doesn’t know enough right now, but he’s encouraging us to get our van into the dealer for dealer testing. I’m reluctant to do that right now as I don’t completely trust the dealer test. If it’s treated under their own test criteria they could easily claim it’s passed having not tested that thoroughly enough.

Last edited:
I have had a go at creating a poll specifically to gather data on the 04S A bellow failure rate.

It can be found in the Polls section of the forum.

If your Cali has 04S A bellows fitted, please can you take time to take part in the poll, even if you do not have any leaks or if you have attempted a DIY waterproofing fix.

Thanks.

I have had a go at creating a poll specifically to gather data on the 04S A bellow failure rate.

It can be found in the Polls section of the forum.

If your Cali has 04S A bellows fitted, please can you take time to take part in the poll, even if you do not have any leaks or if you have attempted a DIY waterproofing fix.

Thanks.
What's 04S A. I'm not sure the A has any relevance. The VW stance is 04S manufactured after 9th November are the latest version. Nothing else.

I spoke with Adrian today. He said that without more evidence this may just be seen as one of here faulty goods that would be replaced like for like under warranty. At the moment for VW it’s about whether he’s actually right (I suspect not), and if not then that enough people actually come forward with the issue to be able to demonstrate there is a design issue still. He’s openly says he doesn’t know enough right now, but he’s encouraging us to get our van into the dealer for dealer testing. I’m reluctant to do that right now as I don’t completely trust the dealer test. If it’s treated under their own test criteria they could easily claim it’s passed having not tested that thoroughly enough.

There is no substitute for real world testing. A person with a hose for 20 mins won’t cut it. Prior to any VW test, documented test criteria and process should be requested to ensure consistency and how this replicates real world conditions.

Last edited:
Back