Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

Even with non stress testing rain showers there was a single dribble from the front horizontal seam IMG_7448.jpeg

We will probably have to go through the, yes they are definitely 05S being fitted and you get 04S installed for a couple of months.

Here’s the label as promised

I find it surprising that the first we hear of the 05S revision is after they've entered supply channels, been delivered to a dealer and fitted to a customers van!

Call me naïve, but if the EO are dealing with the issue shouldn't they (along with the dealer network via bulletins) have been informed and been able to offer some hope and timelines to potential resolution? If they aren't in the loop I find it pretty astonishing.

My 04S haven't leaked yet (minimal testing) but Aquatex ordered (decision yet to be made, but would be better to treat whilst clean) and also considering purchase of a comfortz wrap (but cost and extra bulk a negative to this solution).

Sent from my HD1903 using Tapatalk

Great to hear an 05S has appeared. I hope it passes the people’s QC.

I find it surprising that the first we hear of the 05S revision is after they've entered supply channels, been delivered to a dealer and fitted to a customers van!

Call me naïve, but if the EO are dealing with the issue shouldn't they (along with the dealer network via bulletins) have been informed and been able to offer some hope and timelines to potential resolution? If they aren't in the loop I find it pretty astonishing.

My 04S haven't leaked yet (minimal testing) but Aquatex ordered (decision yet to be made, but would be better to treat whilst clean) and also considering purchase of a comfortz wrap (but cost and extra bulk a negative to this solution).

Yes especially as the label indicates these were manufactured on 12/3/24…all those people in discussion recently with VWEO with Adrians regular phone calls , now replaced by Rhiannon..all saying there’s still not a fix…when VW Germany have clearly had the manufacturers working on this with the version 5 upgrade for weeks, if not months. It may have had an influence on those who have rejected their van to quickly re order before the barn doors shut? The proof will be in the pudding when these are real life tested but looks promising. I’m hoping that at the factory the memo has got around to only fit 05S as timing wise for my order they are probably being fitted today!?

My next call with Adrian/Rhiannon is scheduled for wednesday. I will be asking what the story is with the 05S version that has now surfaced.

Yesterday evening we had thunderstorms in North Yorkshire with a massive amount of rainfall and some strongish winds. I raised the roof to give it another test in preparation for my call.

Some of you will be aware I followed the lead of one or two others and applied two coats of Aquatex to the seams and stitching on my bellows several weeks ago. Despite the torrential downpour yesterday evening, not a drop of water found its way through the bellows in any of the areas where there were bad leaks prior to using Aquatex. The rain was drumming on the front and one side face of the bellows so this was a pretty severe test.

My plan on the call will be to :
  • Get an update on if Aquaseal has been approved on a case by case basis for affected vans.
  • Try to find out if the EO knows anything about the latest 05S version and what their latest findings/conclusions on the issue are.
  • Seek recompense for the topper I purchased to give extra protection in bad weather.
As I have temporarily or perhaps even permanently stopped any leaks, I am not in any rush to get the bellows replaced. I would like to see evidence that any new design (05S, or whatever) has been real life tested and proves to be reliable. If the answer is 05S, then it could take a few months for a sufficient number of replacements and newly manufactured vans to be in circulation and used in anger.

I have spoke to Adrian this morning as he is back, he has not heard anything regarding the 05s! So still no idea what's going on going forward very confusing

My next call with Adrian/Rhiannon is scheduled for wednesday. I will be asking what the story is with the 05S version that has now surfaced.

Yesterday evening we had thunderstorms in North Yorkshire with a massive amount of rainfall and some strongish winds. I raised the roof to give it another test in preparation for my call.

Some of you will be aware I followed the lead of one or two others and applied two coats of Aquatex to the seams and stitching on my bellows several weeks ago. Despite the torrential downpour yesterday evening, not a drop of water found its way through the bellows in any of the areas where there were bad leaks prior to using Aquatex. The rain was drumming on the front and one side face of the bellows so this was a pretty severe test.

My plan on the call will be to :
  • Get an update on if Aquaseal has been approved on a case by case basis for affected vans.
  • Try to find out if the EO knows anything about the latest 05S version and what their latest findings/conclusions on the issue are.
  • Seek recompense for the topper I purchased to give extra protection in bad weather.
As I have temporarily or perhaps even permanently stopped any leaks, I am not in any rush to get the bellows replaced. I would like to see evidence that any new design (05S, or whatever) has been real life tested and proves to be reliable. If the answer is 05S, then it could take a few months for a sufficient number of replacements and newly manufactured vans to be in circulation and used in anger.
Will be interested to hear how you get on. I received a flat no on the use of Aquatex.

As an aside, do you have a recommendation for a North Yorks dealer for servicing, repairs etc? Leeds is my closest but seen a few examples of really negative feedback.

Will be interested to hear how you get on. I received a flat no on the use of Aquatex.

As an aside, do you have a recommendation for a North Yorks dealer for servicing, repairs etc? Leeds is my closest but seen a few examples of really negative feedback.
We collected our Ocean in March from Breeze in Poole.
No recommendations for servicing as we've not yet needed to have any work done.

I'll be interested to get any suggestions as well because sooner or later we are going to need a reliable dealership. Bradford or Leeds would be the closest for us.

I think if we needed anything specific to the Ocean, I might be tempted to try Liverpool as they seem to sell a lot of Californias. If it's just a routine service, then I guess a regular van centre should be OK so long as they look after the vehicle with respect and don't treat it like a 200k+ miles delivery van!!

We collected our Ocean in March from Breeze in Poole.
No recommendations for servicing as we've not yet needed to have any work done.

I'll be interested to get any suggestions as well because sooner or later we are going to need a reliable dealership. Bradford or Leeds would be the closest for us.

I think if we needed anything specific to the Ocean, I might be tempted to try Liverpool as they seem to sell a lot of Californias. If it's just a routine service, then I guess a regular van centre should be OK so long as they look after the vehicle with respect and don't treat it like a 200k+ miles delivery van!!
We may be in a similar part of the world as well as in a similar situation.

Let’s compare notes again should the time ever come to get the bellows replaced!

I'm in exactly the same position, only 2 weeks old and haven't had the chance to rain test yet,
ordering Aquatex and possibly a wrap soon, but now reluctant to apply Aquatex knowing there is 05S bellows soon available if ours leak.

Last edited:
I'm in exactly the same position, only 2 weeks old and haven't had the chance to rain test yet,
ordering Aquatex and possibly a wrap soon, but now reluctant to apply Aquatex knowing there is 05S bellows soon available if ours leak.
What does your tag say? Is yours a 042?

I hope VW don’t play hardball with those who applied Aquatex and its ilk and want warranty replacement to 05S. Part of the process is for dealer to demonstrate leaking which isn’t going to be possible. Or do those owners not care to upgrade or be prepared to pay out of pocket?

I hope VW don’t play hardball with those who applied Aquatex and its ilk and want warranty replacement to 05S. Part of the process is for dealer to demonstrate leaking which isn’t going to be possible. Or do those owners not care to upgrade or be prepared to pay out of pocket?
I took the conscious decision to use Fabsil and Aquatex, knowing it would probably invalidate the warranty. If it works, I’ll keep the bellows. If it doesn’t, I’ll wait until If a definitive watertight bellows emerges (05S ??), then have a heavy discussion with VW to get the new one under warranty. If that fails, then I have factored in buying a replacement.

However, early signs on mine, and several others, show that Aquatex in particular, does the job well. As many attest here, having a bellows replaced can lead to a lengthy wait for the van’s return and possible damage to the paintwork etc. And I’ve got a topper as backup.

None of this is a recommendation - people will make their own decision according to their circumstances

I took the conscious decision to use Fabsil and Aquatex, knowing it would probably invalidate the warranty. If it works, I’ll keep the bellows. If it doesn’t, I’ll wait until If a definitive watertight bellows emerges (05S ??), then have a heavy discussion with VW to get the new one under warranty. If that fails, then I have factored in buying a replacement.

However, early signs on mine, and several others, show that Aquatex in particular, does the job well. As many attest here, having a bellows replaced can lead to a lengthy wait for the van’s return and possible damage to the paintwork etc. And I’ve got a topper as backup.

None of this is a recommendation - people will make their own decision according to their circumstances
Surly you could just not tell them you have applied this they would never know would they?.

Surly you could just not tell them you have applied this they would never know would they?.
No but the bellows won’t fail the high tech and strictly regulated dealer leak test. Then it’ll be a case of computer says no. I would be having my discussions with breeze. By now the techs could do the job with their eyes closed so I have little concern paint will be damaged.

I contacted Breeze as soon as I discovered the leaking, providing several time stamped photographs taken on different occasions when the bellows were leaking.

Breeze were very understanding and got the VW EO involved. Adrian saw the photos and acknowledged that my bellow leaked.

At the time, Adrian could offer no guarantee that a replacement set would be leak free. I was one of the earliest group of people reporting issues with post 11th November 04S bellows.

Since I raised the problem it has become evident that the issue is not isolated and many other owners with newer 04S bellows are having exactly the same leaks from the same places. Even recent replacement 04S bellows have been reported to leak.

With no solution from VW on the table at the time, Aquatex seemed like a sensible and reasonable way forward and so far it has proved to be very effective.

The bottom line for me is that if my bellows stay leak free then I won't be pushing for a replacement.

If they start leaking at some point within the warranty period and an annual application of Aquatex doesn't stop the leaks then I will push for a warranty replacement, referring VW back to the original case notes. At that point, if VW reject a warranty replacement then I am quite happy to dig my heels in and get the Motor Ombudsman and/or the Small Claims Court involved.

I feel sure that anyone adjudicating on the case would say that in the absence of a solution from the manufacturer (other than rejecting the whole vehicle) I acted in a reasonable manner to rectify the bellows which as supplied were not fit for purpose.

Only time will tell !!!!

I contacted Breeze as soon as I discovered the leaking, providing several time stamped photographs taken on different occasions when the bellows were leaking.

Breeze were very understanding and got the VW EO involved. Adrian saw the photos and acknowledged that my bellow leaked.

At the time, Adrian could offer no guarantee that a replacement set would be leak free. I was one of the earliest group of people reporting issues with post 11th November 04S bellows.

Since I raised the problem it has become evident that the issue is not isolated and many other owners with newer 04S bellows are having exactly the same leaks from the same places. Even recent replacement 04S bellows have been reported to leak.

With no solution from VW on the table at the time, Aquatex seemed like a sensible and reasonable way forward and so far it has proved to be very effective.

The bottom line for me is that if my bellows stay leak free then I won't be pushing for a replacement.

If they start leaking at some point within the warranty period and an annual application of Aquatex doesn't stop the leaks then I will push for a warranty replacement, referring VW back to the original case notes. At that point, if VW reject a warranty replacement then I am quite happy to dig my heels in and get the Motor Ombudsman and/or the Small Claims Court involved.

I feel sure that anyone adjudicating on the case would say that in the absence of a solution from the manufacturer (other than rejecting the whole vehicle) I acted in a reasonable manner to rectify the bellows which as supplied were not fit for purpose.

Only time will tell !!!!
Sounds like a valid way forward. I really hope VW don’t let any of these cases get to litigation stage. After this debacle VE should be offering every owner affected some good will gesture like warranty extension.

11.03. Afraid hasn’t heard of 05S

16.15 Adrian confirms 05S exist

Adrian is getting his info from this thread , look forward to my next call with him :cool:

Back