Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Kitchen or not !?

also worth mentioning is that the beach only has 1 leisure battery vs 2 in the Ocean. If you want to spend anytime not on hook up then you will need a proper compressor fridge which are not cheap as that will last a couple of days on 1 leisure battery. A 'coolbox' will last a few hours on a 12v battery only.
Ocean will manage 3-5 days on battery alone with built-in fridge on.

Easily solved with a couple of solar panels + decent compressor fridge (Dometic CFX35)

Does the Beach have a factory fitted night heater? I would not consider one without this option. The next would be.. does it have CarPlay as it was an option pre T6.1.
Both are possible as retro fits

edit factory heater is available to retro fit , also Planer Heater similar but cheaper as a retro fit,

Thank you, that’s what we are thinking. We bbq a lot and already have cooking equipment. But yes the sink and cupboards seem good.
It will be used as every car too.
The problem we have is the ocean is 14 plate but with less miles and 37k and beach is 67 plate with 10,000 more miles T6 but 38k.
At those miles both are hardly run in , the engine & running gear are designed for high mileage commercial use.
Is the 14 plate T5.1 a 180 BI turbo ? Check here and the T6 forum for discussion on potential serious engine wear issues - DYOR

are both DSG gear box ? Box requires maintenance at 40k miles (£300-£400) , both should have good service history, check road tax cost 67 plate Beach may be significantly cheaper per year ! DYOR

Photos when you’ve done the deal pls

good luck , you’ll love both

Well, we went for a 2.5 tdi se 08 with full kitchen ! Was very pleased as fair price but now panicking (haven’t official signed) but we remember at campervan show other week. One company told us to avoid that year n engine! Have you heard of common problems ?

Post #29
Is the 14 plate T5.1 a 180 BI turbo ? Check here and the T6 forum for discussion on potential serious engine wear issues - DYOR

An Ocean can do everything that a well equipped Beach can do, EXCEPT carry 7 people with all of their hiking/skiing equipment, or 5 people and up to 9 bikes. As that is about 50% of my usage of the van (the rest is 1 or 2 person off grid camping) the choice was obvious. My Cali is my only vehicle. Ask yourself how often it would be useful to carry more than 4 people in a 5 meter 3 ton vehicle and you’ll have your answer.2A931F99-33CD-4ABE-8049-6763EAC03DF2.jpeg31B9E2E0-1CB6-4928-B3ED-0388AC576FE7.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi all we are going to re look at two Californias we have put despite down on both.
One is 2.0 tdi blue motion tech beach
Other is
an ocean with kitchen.
Well mainly be camping at camps site for for fews as got two children under 3.

My question is how useful is the kitchen in the calis if already at camping site. (We have three camping stoves already)

Thank you Kim :)
Go for the kitchen. Good for overnight stops, wet weather, days out and so on. It's really well designed. Nothing to stop you cooking outside when on a site in fine weather. Bonne chance.

I have a beach and two kids of 8 and 9. I sometimes wish I had an ocean but the extra space and a gap between them when driving is worth a trade off.
So if its two people I'd go ocean for 4 the beach. You'll be living outside as much as possible anyway and it makes a better city driver too. I really wish I had a heater in it. If that's an option get it.

STOP. STOP. ENOUGH.

It’s all been said a gazillion times. There is no winner. The OP has committed to a , errrr , not a beach, the other one.

STOP. STOP. ENOUGH.

It’s all been said a gazillion times. There is no winner. The OP has committed to a , errrr , not a beach, the other one.
Ok, don’t reply if it bothers you. New to group so never seen discussion on this.

Had both.
The Ocean is the clear winner by a country mile.

THE END

Ok, don’t reply if it bothers you. New to group so never seen discussion on this.
@heathensofmerica , please don't get worked up about a bit of a banter the evening of a long weekend. That was a very tongue in cheek comment and people who've been here long enough will understand that

Enjoy whatever you plan to get!

Even after a 1000 pages, there will be only one ... Oops!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Thanks all very helpful
It's not about the vehicle per se. When fully loaded both will have the same room. BUT both will require a kitchen of some sort, unless you will never cook on site. So it's, internal kitchen, boot slide out kitchen, kitchen pod that can be used inside or an external kitchen in a driveway awning. On a warm sunny summers day it doesn't matter but on a stormy winters day with horizontal rain which would you prefer?

@heathensofmerica , please don't get worked up about a bit of a banter the evening of a long weekend. That was a very tongue in cheek comment and people who've been here long enough will understand that

Enjoy whatever you plan to get!

Even after a 1000 pages, there will be only one ... Oops!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
I’m not worked up :) just thought was strange comment!
Everyone else prob thinking same but just commented advise ‍♀️

Well, we went for a 2.5 tdi se 08 with full kitchen ! Was very pleased as fair price but now panicking (haven’t official signed) but we remember at campervan show other week. One company told us to avoid that year n engine! Have you heard of common problems ?
Been running mine for 16 years have always been serviced by main dealer done 60,000
miles only problem was a driveshaft and just had a new exhaust

If they told you to avoid the 2.5 lump in the pre 2010s they were idiots. I sure they were referring to the 180hp 2 litre in the post 2010s who's issues are well discussed here.