Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Keeping it California - Last Chance to VOTE

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I've posted before. Best of both worlds. Keep the valuable information and let the arguments/bitchiness continue elsewhere, out of sight and out of mind.

Why not, when a sensible thread descends into out and out chaos, copy the whole thread to the 3 Cocks section but leave a copy of the original thread, minus the discriminatory / derogatory posts in the original Forum, but Locked to further posts with a statement as to why it has been moved.
This way the useful information in the thread is preserved for all and those who wish to use the thread for their own gratification can do so, out of sight and out of mind in the 3 Cocks.

Actually I'm not quite clear whether the vote at the top of this thread is an opinion-getter or some kind of referendum.

Jen has explained that the mods aren't in charge of the forum, which I totally get. But the thread was started by Calikev, whose status as 'Admin' I'm unclear of, because I've never understood the ownership and governance structure of the 'club' (/forum) and how decisions if necessary are supposed to be taken.

I forsee ructions if we reach a point where a no-politics rule is introduced on the basis of a poll on this thread. In that case I'd anticipate folks on the 'winning' side saying "that's democracy" while a sizeable minority will resist any attempt to say what may or may not be discussed and someone (the poor mods?) would have to decide what's political? Unworkable, surely.

I think we should wait, with optimism.

All of us, Owners, mods, members, are going through extremely difficult times personally which is sometimes inhibiting calm logic to come to the fore and often emotion to instead take over. Hardly surprising given the times we are living through.

The recent firestorm, and I use recent as I feel we are now back under control, has created a lot of strain in this forum and exposed perhaps changes that due to the size and progression of it may need to be made.

A week is a long time in politics .... er ..... (red card Jen) ...a long time in forum life. I do think this forum will emerge as it always has done, with due concern being given to all views and with tweaks rather than hatchet strokes determining future direction.

This is not just a forum, it is a community, sometimes the head shed says one thing and sometimes we all want another, sometimes we all want something and we just can't have it, sometimes there are deep divisions over issues, but there is a way forward that suits most, never everyone, and like the community this is that way forward will be found.

From my pov it has been quite refreshing to read the passion that some people have for this place. I for one hope that as moderator I can continue to respect that and work with it, not against it by becoming censorial.

I completely support Jen’s last post as the sensible way forward and hope this will prevail. Specifically that the thread be listened to and not just the outcome of a flawed and ill conceived vote, but according to the thread and vote proposals originators comments below, that seems like some adjustment may be necessary

After putting up with numerous threads and posts on coronavirus and politics we think its time to draw the line as this is a vw california forum. There is far too much bickering going on i have set up a poll that will run until next sunday if its yes i will remove all and ban any further post about the subject if its a No i will remove this post and let you carry on.”

With that in mind we might be optimistically hopeful or perhaps better get some more votes against to be on the safe side

Of course it’s not just about yes or no, so hope all the suggestions in the thread be considered for action, and improvement of an already very good forum
Long live the king:cheers

I completely support Jen’s last post as the sensible way forward and hope this will prevail. Specifically that the thread be listened to and not just the outcome of a flawed and ill conceived vote, but according to the thread and vote proposals originators comments below, that seems like some adjustment may be necessary

After putting up with numerous threads and posts on coronavirus and politics we think its time to draw the line as this is a vw california forum. There is far too much bickering going on i have set up a poll that will run until next sunday if its yes i will remove all and ban any further post about the subject if its a No i will remove this post and let you carry on.”

With that in mind we might be optimistically hopeful or perhaps better get some more votes against to be on the safe side

Kevin and Martin (@calikev and @Martin) established this forum about 8 years ago as a forum where members will be heard and almost a breakaway from a forum where moderators were heard first and last. This is why the ethos prevails of free and open speech even if it does sometimes step over vaguely drawn lines.

Both have put their heart and souls into this forum and I think we can be comfortably sure neither will allow actions to happen that could have a huge negative impact on that ethos of free and open discussion whilst also making changes that will reflect the community wishes.

Kevin and Martin (@calikev and @Martin) established this forum about 8 years ago as a forum where members will be heard and almost a breakaway from a forum where moderators were heard first and last. This is why the ethos prevails of free and open speech even if it does sometimes step over vaguely drawn lines.

Both have put their heart and souls into this forum and I think we can be comfortably sure neither will allow actions to happen that could have a huge negative impact on that ethos of free and open discussion whilst also making changes that will reflect the community wishes.
9 yrs ago.

Over 18000 members, 165 online as i type but only 154 votes cast in 5 days. Looks like most people don't have a view on this??

Over 18000 members, 165 online as i type but only 154 votes cast in 5 days. Looks like most people don't have a view on this??
Just goes to show the lack of validity of deciding based on a vote, might as well toss a coin

I'd be interested to know the numbers behind the 18000, how often each visits to view the site and how often each posts comments, if at all. From what I see there are a hardcore that are "active", so I expect the majority of the 18000 haven't logged on the 5 days, so won't be aware of what they are missing!

Can I take my Cali for a drive for 30 miles to look at a lovely view and to contemplate wether to change my vote. I’m sure all the reasonable Cali owners would have an opinion on this.

P.s I’ll also check my eyesight at the same time
30 miles one way or return? 30 miles one way - then yes, you get my vote to drive. Do let us know the result

If you see how many posts there are each day, you will understand why not ever post gets thousands of views.

Ok. From a technical standpoint - the question for the poll has not been framed correctly. It is a lopsided question that does not give the correct choice of options and enable the correct outcomes.

I therefore declare this poll invalid. Can we start another poll please? :D

Ok all, jokes apart, the angst is nothing to do with Politics or Covid. The issue is with people becoming personal and attacking others and becoming uncouth. This can also happen on a general thread, but true, more chance of it happening on a thread to do with politics or when people don't have anything better to do (lockdown).

Leave the forum alone. Things to do with Covid and Politics will die down. Once people start travelling, they will have more stories to tell and more problems to solve ... and all this will go into the background. This is the classic life of a forum and it is best to leave it alone.

Admins, Mods - a humble request - let not the poll alone be a deciding factor. Also consider the comments on this thread before you decide upon any course of action.

Ok. From a technical standpoint - the question for the poll has not been framed correctly. It is a lopsided question that does not give the correct choice of options and enable the correct outcomes.

I therefore declare this poll invalid. Can we start another poll please? :D

Ok all, jokes apart, the angst is nothing to do with Politics or Covid. The issue is with people becoming personal and attacking others and becoming uncouth. This can also happen on a general thread, but true, more chance of it happening on a thread to do with politics or when people don't have anything better to do (lockdown).

Leave the forum alone. Things to do with Covid and Politics will die down. Once people start travelling, they will have more stories to tell and more problems to solve ... and all this will go into the background. This is the classic life of a forum and it is best to leave it alone.

Admins, Mods - a humble request - let not the poll alone be a deciding factor. Also consider the comments on this thread before you decide upon any course of action.

See posts 102 and 105 :)

2011 the club started in a pub car park in Horsham.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Good grief! Out by 13% :confused:

At this rate I will have Waterloo finishing after Crimea started:shocked

So, for those wondering why many haven’t voted... I’m one of those who hasn’t. I don’t have a strong opinion either way, and so was wanting to follow the thread to better understand the arguments before I made a choice. Ultimately I may not vote and go with the majority.
The same happens in the outside world. And I encourage people to vote there. So, I will also vote here before it closed on Sunday. Maybe there will be a rush for online voting before the deadline...

So, for those wondering why many haven’t voted... I’m one of those who hasn’t. I don’t have a strong opinion either way, and so was wanting to follow the thread to better understand the arguments before I made a choice. Ultimately I may not vote and go with the majority.
The same happens in the outside world. And I encourage people to vote there. So, I will also vote here before it closed on Sunday. Maybe there will be a rush for online voting before the deadline...
E5D6E00C-6047-44DF-A7D9-BC5F4646B2A3.gif

What ever happens I just wish that we can lose the pointless displays of aggression and show each other a bit more respect. Remember, it's OK to agree not to agree.

Final point, some seem to be saying that a vote for YES is effectively censorship but you wouldn't join a Politics Forum and expect to discuss VW Californias would you?

Status
Not open for further replies.