Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

It's going to be a bit parky...

Dave_T

Dave_T

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
We're looking to go down to Sussex in Cali this weekend and it looks like it's going to be pretty cold.

Current forcast for friday night/saturday morning is 2 degrees, with a 'feels like' temperature of about 0 degrees. We've got a new Kyham Kamper cozi, which should take some of the chill off & there will be 4 of us in the van, so that'll help.

2 questions:
1. What's the coldest you've camped in?
2. Does anyone know of a good site in west sussex that's open during the winter, preferably with hard standing?

Thanks
Dave

Dave_T said:
2. Does anyone know of a good site in west sussex that's open during the winter, preferably with hard standing?
Where would you like to be near Dave?

Probably somewhere near Gatwick...

Martin said:
John is probably your man for that then, if you want to be VERY near Gatwick then Amberley Fields is a nice site with hard standing and a pub next door, we have stayed there a few times when visiting relatives nearby.

Im staying at Amberley on Saturday night, although I'll be in the castle........... :mrgreen:

BMVS-Camper-Hire said:
Im staying at Amberley on Saturday night, although I'll be in the castle........... :mrgreen:

Very nice, we keep wanting to stay there but they don't take kids under 12.. hopefully next year

We know the head chef, so get looked after rate wise. All three of my kids are under 12, but they are with the grand parents. whoop whoop

Sorry to go O/T

We're away at the mo. first night high up in the Peak District - second night in Blackpool and the last few days on a lovely campsite in the Lakes.

No parking heater - just body heat - good duvet - and a small heater from b and q running off the hook up. Fine, no probs - you get used it. We've been nice and cosy :)

James

Thanks for the feedback... I've just had a look at Amberley on the CC website, and I can't find anything there about a age restriction for children (we'll be taking two under 12's).

Dave_T said:
We're looking to go down to Sussex in Cali this weekend and it looks like it's going to be pretty cold.

Current forcast for friday night/saturday morning is 2 degrees, with a 'feels like' temperature of about 0 degrees. We've got a new Kyham Kamper cozi, which should take some of the chill off & there will be 4 of us in the van, so that'll help.

2 questions:
1. What's the coldest you've camped in?

Thanks
Dave

Hi

I've had the same concerns myself as were due to be camping out this Saturday night after a party at a friends house ( a little urban camping on there drive ) there was going to be four of us but called at let the seconed couple down as last night as I think we would freeze up top as I havent got around to getting a roof cover yet. :?:

Steve

-6 half term beggining of the year in the Forrest of dean wild camp :thumb heater on 2.30 in the morning until 7.00 o'clock in the morning two teenagers up top me wife and dog downstairs
Lovely and cosy battery started on 70% didn't change all night :thumb can't beat it :thumb
Oh forgot to mention no roof cover :rofl

I think the 'no under 12's' rule applies to Amberley Castle (posh hotel), not the campsite being referred to.... :?

MrsShambly said:
I think the 'no under 12's' rule applies to Amberley Castle (posh hotel), not the campsite being referred to.... :?

That is correct, I think the thread got a little confused :?

Amberley Fields Campsite - Any age - No restriction

Amberley Castle Hotel - Over 10's ( they have lowered it :thumb )

Oli, this is all your fault :lol: :lol:

Got it! Thanks for clearing that up... I was a little confused!

Hi Dave,
Great site in West Sussex is Sumners Pond Campsite in Barns Green (Nr. Horsham). Really great site with a number of small fishing lakes, pub over the road and an excellent cafe/restaurant on-site ovelooking the lake; but it is still small enough for a 'homely' family run feel about the it. Just had a state of the art shower block built. Great woodland walks... the list goes on. Couldn't recommend it highly enough.
Hope this helps!
http://www.sumnersponds.co.uk/
Joe

I second that we stayed at sumners pond last hear for the Horsham Cali meet. Great breakfast :thumb

BMVS-Camper-Hire said:
Martin said:
John is probably your man for that then, if you want to be VERY near Gatwick then Amberley Fields is a nice site with hard standing and a pub next door, we have stayed there a few times when visiting relatives nearby.

Very nice. I know the owners ;)

Why do they have to have Guy Fawkes, Bonfire Night, on the 5th November and Halloween on the 31st October. :cool

Are we Masochist in this country as the weather is always pre programed to get really cold around this time of year and boy has it got cold over the last few days. :x

At least I won't be cutting the grass for a while. :D

John

we booked Amberley in the end... before I saw the post about summers pond. That does look really nice.

Amberley was ok though, you get used to the planes after a while!

Temperature was fine in the end. I think it was about 2 degrees in the end, but with the kamper cozi on, it was pretty toasty. We did need the heater on, but we didn't have to leave it on overnight.

Bjohnson said:
BMVS-Camper-Hire said:
Martin said:

Very nice. I know the owners ;)

Scratch that, having checked it looks as though the owners that I knew sold up in 2007 and bought a chateaux in burgundy :crazy

And to be fair it wasn't all that! Rooms are very worn, and in need of a refurb, and my friends dinner came out cold.......and when he complained they just stuck it in the oven for a few minutes!

I wouldn't recommend it....

BMVS-Camper-Hire said:
And to be fair it wasn't all that! Rooms are very worn, and in need of a refurb, and my friends dinner came out cold.......and when he complained they just stuck it in the oven for a few minutes!

I wouldn't recommend it....

Oh dear

Does anyone know if there is going to be another Horsham Cali meet soon?

Back