Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is your California selling?

Like marmite - I hate it but wife loves it........... I'm afraid I didn't like the look of your wheels and that's what put me off others - I still like original wheels but that's just me. The new one I'm getting has the woodstock wheels which I wasn't sure about at first but they've now grown on me :)
Ha yeah exactly. Those aftermarket wheels you don’t like would sell for about a grand off the van though and my sale includes the original Woodstocks. Ten minutes with a tyre fitter to put the Woodies back on and bosh, you’ve got £1,000 cashback by selling the other ones. I’m lazy so I’m still holding out hope someone will like them but if not I’ll have to do that myself.

Not a Cali, but sold the Hymer Free last month. Had it 22 months from new and 27,000 miles and sold for 4k less than I paid for it. Having said that, I only had two enquiries and one of them bought it, advertised in a Hymer group on Facebook.

There is still very limited supply and a new one would be almost £100k (which is nuts).

The new one is coming from a German Hymer dealer as there is much more choice and its almost 20% cheaper (even after import costs) than buying from an overpriced UK dealer.
Will you have to pay VAT at 20% though now being outside the EU, thats my understanding?

Before it was just the normal import fee etc, but now the VAT is involved its made EU vans just as pricey

Yeah I'm planning on taking some new pics over the weekend, maybe that'll help. I haven't got around to putting it on autotrader yet either, I'll do that if I still haven't had any luck in the next week or so.

I reckon the biggest reason is that mine has aftermarket wheels on it which is probably quite off-putting for some. If it comes to it I'll swap them back over but I've priced it such that whoever buys it will get both sets and can make a fair chunk of change off the set they don't want (assuming they don't rotate them for summer and winter use). We'll see I guess!

When we sold our Beach we purchased a new DM mile set of 16” alloys + tyres for £130 off the T5 forum. Then kept the old 17” alloys from the Beach for the Joker , then sold the 16” steels from the Joker for £110 last weekend ( to a bloke who had part ex’d his van, but was keeping his old alloys).

Good bit of recycling for all parties!

Many potential buyers might be holding back to see if the multivan is s better option . If I was in the market for my first camper and had done my research, I would hold on.
I think this is the sensible option, if the reviews of the new Cali aren't great you can always revert to buying a nearly new 6.1 at that point. However if you buy a 6.1 now and the motoring press are raving about the new Cali you'll end up losing a fair bit of money to swap at that point.

A general observation. From what I’ve seen, prices are softer across the board on all campers.
The higher end might resist a bit, but it will trickle up.
My neighbour and friend just paid £22k for a low milage (60k) 2015 T5.1 140 manual, 2 berth, no pop top based on a high line.
I couldn’t believe it, in really good condition. Last year, nearer £27 or £28k.
But having looked around, Transporters of all types are looking more reasonably priced. Stuff that was £14k now nearer £11k etc.
I think, similar to after the financial crash and house prices, people have spaffed a shed load of money on something that’s lost money and don’t want to take the hit. House prices stayed high because people couldn’t take the hit. However, we have a housing shortage.
Following Covid, everybody wanted a camper, prices and supply went up, soon, some of that supply will be coming back on to the market as people decide they’d rather go to Benidorm or Dubai or wherever people go and prices will drop further. That will have to trickle up.
The last 5 years have not been normal. The market will adjust.
If I had a £65k van up for sale I’d give it until mid June and then discount and be prepared to haggle. Or be prepared to keep it for a year and see what’s happening.
It’s all about managing your risk and pride. No strategy is guaranteed to be right.

A general observation. From what I’ve seen, prices are softer across the board on all campers.
My neighbour and friend just paid £22k for a low milage (60k) 2015 T5.1 140 manual, 2 berth, no pop top based on a high line.
But having looked around, Transporters of all types are looking more reasonably priced. Stuff that was £14k now nearer £11k etc.
I think, similar to after the financial crash and house prices, people have spaffed a shed load of money on something that’s lost money and don’t want to take the hit. House prices stayed high because people couldn’t take the hit. However, we have a housing shortage.
Following Covid, everybody wanted a camper, prices and supply went up, soon, some of that supply will be coming back on to the market as people decide they’d rather go to Benidorm or Dubai or wherever people go and prices will drop further. That will have to trickle up.
If I had a £65k van up for sale I’d give it until mid June and then discount and be prepared to haggle. Or be prepared to keep it for a year and see what’s happening.
It’s all about managing your risk and pride. No strategy is guaranteed to be right.
Couldn't put it any better myself think you've hit the nail right on the head there.....

Don’t forget to add the #vanlife is getting a bit tiresome.
With any look they’ll all p155off and we can just get back to rocking up, find a pitch or somewhere to park without interference…

With any look they’ll all p155off and we can just get back to rocking up, find a pitch or somewhere to park without interference…

As someone that also lives in Devon, I concur. Also, having to get up far too early to get near an uncrowded wave these days. Back in the day I could arrive in my T2, park up and no one batted an eye.
Whinging old git these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly as my T5 was 2007 Leisuredrive conversion that sold for £21k - £1k more than I paid 9 years ago - it had 84k miles and only 2 of us owned it and kept it impecable condition.

Ha yeah exactly. Those aftermarket wheels you don’t like would sell for about a grand off the van though and my sale includes the original Woodstocks. Ten minutes with a tyre fitter to put the Woodies back on and bosh, you’ve got £1,000 cashback by selling the other ones. I’m lazy so I’m still holding out hope someone will like them but if not I’ll have to do that myself.
Do you have any pictures you have of your van when you picked it up, are you not able to add a few of them so people can see what it looks like with standard wheels and you save the faff of having to swap them for pictures?

Are you getting much interest? I even left my ad on Autotrader for weeks after I traded it to see if there was any interest in mine but none whatsoever. Hopefully you've got a solid trade in to fall back on if it doesn't sell and you can enjoy trips in your cali if it doesn't sell win/win !!!!!!!

Does 15 watchers on eBay and 2 enquiries count as interest? :D

I do indeed and anything I can get on top of the P/Ex value is a bonus to be honest. My Grand won’t even be in build for another few weeks so I have time :)

Do you have any pictures you have of your van when you picked it up, are you not able to add a few of them so people can see what it looks like with standard wheels and you save the faff of having to swap them for pictures?

Not everyone likes big wheels, it can put some off viewing especially if they have a similar van more local to them.

I would change the wheels for ‘standard’,
and post with new photos. Our local tyre place charge £20 for swapping all 4.

We have sold all our past vans on Facebook marketplace to the first viewer, so worth a try. long weekend with families camping in colder conditions is a good time to sell!

All heading out to the middle of nowhere to buy rundown cottages in Scotland/Ireland etc now. They seem to copy my every move.
Kinging it are great though hope there project goes well.

All heading out to the middle of nowhere to buy rundown cottages in Scotland/Ireland etc now. They seem to copy my every move.
Kinging it are great though hope there project goes well.
Campervibe have just done exactly that. Bought a cottage in Ireland.5 year exile there and they can apply for Irish Residency which opens up the rest of Europe and none of the Schengen Shenanigans. Brilliant.

As someone that also lives in Devon, I concur. Also, having to get up far too early to get near an uncrowded wave these days. Back in the day I could arrive in my T2, park up and no one batted an eye.
Whinging old git these days.

Ohhh don’t…..
I remember parking at Wolly or Croyde, either along the promenade or beach carpark. There would only be a handful of vans, all surfers. I met some great people over the years, shared waves and felt a true community spirit. Wish I could turn the clocks back.

Will you have to pay VAT at 20% though now being outside the EU, thats my understanding?

Before it was just the normal import fee etc, but now the VAT is involved its made EU vans just as pricey
You pay 19% German VAT then 20% UK VAT. German VAT then refunded. Only applies to new vans (can be nearly new as long as less than 6000km I believe).

Used vehicles are subject to both German and UK VAT so less attractive. Rules differ for much older vehicles.

There is no import duty.

Ohhh don’t…..
I remember parking at Wolly or Croyde, either along the promenade or beach carpark. There would only be a handful of vans, all surfers. I met some great people over the years, shared waves and felt a true community spirit. Wish I could turn the clocks back.
Can you describe what it’s like now?

Ohhh don’t…..

Me too. It’s still mostly friendly in the water and car parks, but, I baulk at having to cough up a tenner for 3 hours at saunton, but pay it (old surfers don’t die, they just buy longboards and go to Saunton).
Come the revolution they’ll be freedom for all, apart from the places I want less crowded.

Can you describe what it’s like now?

Anti-social, less friendly and a bit ugly.
Locals didn’t mind a couple of surfers sleeping the night, knowing they left places clean, tidy quiet and unspoilt. Vans were basic. It was a certain type of individual that slept in a tin shack, it didn’t appeal to the masses.
Surfers were there for the waves, sunset sessions and early bird.

Most had moved on by breakfast…

I can offer a potential (private) buyer's perspective. Its really tough to call at the moment. There are lots out there which are just not selling and that is a strong disincentive to taking the plunge because I fear that I will face a big loss in depreciation. I would also say that a lot of private for sales have what seem to be very unrealistic prices. If I can go to my local dealer and get a 2022 Ocean with 14k miles on it for about £60k (assuming a bit or wriggle room on negotiation), why would I spend out £50k for a 2018 Ocean with 40k miles on it ... and face all the risks of a private purchase, lack or warranty on what then a 6 year old vehicle.

I can offer a potential (private) buyer's perspective. Its really tough to call at the moment. There are lots out there which are just not selling and that is a strong disincentive to taking the plunge because I fear that I will face a big loss in depreciation. I would also say that a lot of private for sales have what seem to be very unrealistic prices. If I can go to my local dealer and get a 2022 Ocean with 14k miles on it for about £60k (assuming a bit or wriggle room on negotiation), why would I spend out £50k for a 2018 Ocean with 40k miles on it ... and face all the risks of a private purchase, lack or warranty on what then a 6 year old vehicle.
If I were looking, I think £60k for a 2022 Ocean is ok from a dealer, but yes, £50k for a 2018 privately, I would probably avoid. Will be interesting to see what happens to prices in the run up to summer holidays and of course the pricing of the new Multivan based California. DtD discounts for Multivan are currently only about 5% so much less than on the T6.1.

I would expect to easily obtain a 2022 Ocean for 60k in the current market. There are some 2023 Oceans on Autotrader with just a few thousand miles on the clock for around £62k within a few weeks of them not selling you could probably get those for 60k!

Back