Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is this an awesome idea or a dumb idea?

T

turnitdown

Vehicle
Looking to buy
I spend most of my time overseas for work, and perhaps 50 nights a year in Edinburgh (also for work), usually 3 to 5 nights at a time. Currently I rent out my flat in Edinburgh and just stay in hotels, as this makes far more financial sense than keeping my flat empty 300+ days of the year. I'm a previous VW Beach owner, however, and I am trying to think through the pros and cons of getting a VW Beach or Ocean and using that as my Edinburgh base.

Most of my time in Edinburgh is low season, so I can usually get a cheap hotel or airbnb room for about £60 a night, so perhaps £3000 to £3500 a year (currently, this will go up with inflation presumably). These are pretty downmarket places not super convenient for work (the price would double for that). They're fine, but the main thing I miss is a sense of familiarity, of 'arriving home', if you know what I mean. It's always some new cheap hotel in some new location, whatever I can find for the dates I need. I have no cooking facilities, just a kettle for instant coffee.

The thing is, my workplace is generously provisioned with showers, and wild/stealth camping is very easy in Edinburgh, either right in the city or in beautiful location just outside. Using a VW California as 'home' in Edinburgh would be worse in some ways (smaller, would have to shower at work), but also better in some ways (a sense of home/familiarity/arrival, ability to store basic toiletries, ability to make proper coffee and cook a simple meal if I wanted). I should also say I have a great office space in Edinburgh and typically am in the office 9am-8pm during my short visits, so only need a place to sleep and have morning coffee for the most part.

Thinking just about the frequent brief stays in Edinburgh, I suspect the hotel wins - it's a bit cheaper (for now - not sure how prices of hotels will go up over the next 5 to 10 years), and all things considered a bit easier/convenient. However, I realise with a California I could also (i) get out of Edinburgh to the beach and hills for walks, etc., on my short visits, which I would really enjoy, and (ii) bring my kids every summer for, say, a 2 or 3 week holiday, either touring around the UK or heading to a different European country every summer (they are currently both under 10, so presumably we could do this every year for the next 10 years or so).

I realise I'd have to sort out where to keep the van, insurance issues, etc. Setting those issues aside, does anyone have feedback on this idea? Or has someone been in a similar situation, and if so what did you do and what was your experience?

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Another option would be if you can make peace with sharing it you could offset the cost implications with approaching a local firm that could rent it out for you when you aren't using it.

A quick Google search seems like firms already offer the service. https://indiecampers.co.uk/rent-out-my-campervan

I'm sure you could find a good local one that could manage storage for you of you built a relationship with them.

Thanks @temporarysecretary. I did wonder about renting it out, especially as I would mostly use it low season, from September through April (other than a summer trip with the kids). I had assumed I would have to self-manage the rentals though which seems impossible from overseas.

@CraigD thanks. I have owned a Beach before and used it for stealth camping so have some sense of what that's like. Trying a rental might be a good idea to get a sense of just how much hassle showering at work is. On the other hand the main things I'm interested in the VW for (sense of home/arrival/familiarity + benefit of summer trips with kids) wouldn't be tested by a rental for one of my Edinburgh trips.

For accommodation purposes I'd have thought that going up a size in to Grand type vehicle or even a Motorhome would be more practical with walk about space and toilet/shower.

The unpredictable weather now would tend to make your current method the most liveable option with hiring a mobile unit as required. No capital outlay.

If you're using it as a "home" you're going to be lacking some fundamental functions a bigger place, even an Air BnB, will potentially have. A Cali in nicer weather and occasional use won't feel confined, but in the depths of winter when it's lashing it down and if you're stealth camping (so won't want the roof popped) it might seem awfully claustrophobic.

Could you hire one for a week to try out your idea and see how you get on?

Thanks. Yeah, I guess I was thinking that currently I never use the hotel room for anything other than sleeping, e.g., I arrive about 9pm and leave about 8am. (I have a large, private office at my workplace.) I will look into renting for my next trip in May.

It will be tough and gritty and not as easy as you think. Have you considered renting out your flat but holding back a bedroom for when in Edinburgh, then virtually 'flat share' for those 50 days?

My daughter lives in Edinburgh and I would not want to keep a van there for long periods unattended (or any big city for that matter).

I think you will find that insurance will also raise it's ugly head too.

Thanks. I have considered just keeping a bedroom, but that would be about 12 x £700 so pretty pricey (I guess not quite 12 x £700, since that would be a loss of gross income rather than net income).

Yeah, am thinking about the insurance issue. I would probably keep the van in a secure storage facility.

I spend most of my time overseas for work, and perhaps 50 nights a year in Edinburgh (also for work), usually 3 to 5 nights at a time. Currently I rent out my flat in Edinburgh and just stay in hotels, as this makes far more financial sense than keeping my flat empty 300+ days of the year. I'm a previous VW Beach owner, however, and I am trying to think through the pros and cons of getting a VW Beach or Ocean and using that as my Edinburgh base.

Most of my time in Edinburgh is low season, so I can usually get a cheap hotel or airbnb room for about £60 a night, so perhaps £3000 to £3500 a year (currently, this will go up with inflation presumably). These are pretty downmarket places not super convenient for work (the price would double for that). They're fine, but the main thing I miss is a sense of familiarity, of 'arriving home', if you know what I mean. It's always some new cheap hotel in some new location, whatever I can find for the dates I need. I have no cooking facilities, just a kettle for instant coffee.

The thing is, my workplace is generously provisioned with showers, and wild/stealth camping is very easy in Edinburgh, either right in the city or in beautiful location just outside. Using a VW California as 'home' in Edinburgh would be worse in some ways (smaller, would have to shower at work), but also better in some ways (a sense of home/familiarity/arrival, ability to store basic toiletries, ability to make proper coffee and cook a simple meal if I wanted). I should also say I have a great office space in Edinburgh and typically am in the office 9am-8pm during my short visits, so only need a place to sleep and have morning coffee for the most part.

Thinking just about the frequent brief stays in Edinburgh, I suspect the hotel wins - it's a bit cheaper (for now - not sure how prices of hotels will go up over the next 5 to 10 years), and all things considered a bit easier/convenient. However, I realise with a California I could also (i) get out of Edinburgh to the beach and hills for walks, etc., on my short visits, which I would really enjoy, and (ii) bring my kids every summer for, say, a 2 or 3 week holiday, either touring around the UK or heading to a different European country every summer (they are currently both under 10, so presumably we could do this every year for the next 10 years or so).

I realise I'd have to sort out where to keep the van, insurance issues, etc. Setting those issues aside, does anyone have feedback on this idea? Or has someone been in a similar situation, and if so what did you do and what was your experience?
Interesting situation. Living in a camper for a longer time is no problem and great fun even, if you do not have to. If you get to travel and enjoy time off, it's brilliant. That said, I wouldn't make the choice to do so for day to day life. However, in the situation you describe, you are already -not- living in your appartment, but in hotels. And a Cali could bring you the feeling of coming home/ being home. Also, if at times the Cali feels small you can always go out to a restaurant or stay in a hotel for a night or two to 'get away'.

If you can work out the storage, I think it would be a great option. What you are paying in hotels would cover a good part of the Cali costs with the added benefit of having transport, getting away at weekends and the annual holiday. If the weather is truly awful you could always get an hotel for a night or two. Just make sure you get one with a night heater.

Find a better job?

I stay in a camper 2-4 nights a week when I am working in London. I did this initially in a California, both wild camping and in sites.

Struggled after a while in the Cali, esp wild camping, so moved to a 5.4m Hymer Free 540. Having a ooo and shower was a game changer - I tend to use sites as only £25 a night and much less stressful. If I have to be away from home I really don’t like staying in random hotels and they’re ridiculously expensive in London now.
Having cooking facilities also much better than buying ready made crao all the time.

I’m without a van for the next few weeks until the new one arrives so I’m going have to endure a travellodge or similar…

I looked at van storage around Edinburgh a while back and a decent insurance company acceptable one was £50 per month and had a waiting list.

I stay in a camper 2-4 nights a week when I am working in London. I did this initially in a California, both wild camping and in sites.

Struggled after a while in the Cali, esp wild camping, so moved to a 5.4m Hymer Free 540. Having a ooo and shower was a game changer - I tend to use sites as only £25 a night and much less stressful. If I have to be away from home I really don’t like staying in random hotels and they’re ridiculously expensive in London now.
Having cooking facilities also much better than buying ready made crao all the time.

I’m without a van for the next few weeks until the new one arrives so I’m going have to endure a travellodge or similar…
This is what I’d have thought too. Maybe a GC is what you need?

This is what I’d have thought too. Maybe a GC is what you need?
I was thinking this would pretty much rule out stealth camping and not be as good for general day trip driving, that kind of thing. I can see it would be much more comfortable though to have a loo and shower on board. I should look into it.

@HowieDog , were your 2-4 days stays in London every week (or most weeks)? For me it would be 3-5 nights on average once a month, which might make it easier.

@ThomasHJ , @scottk Thanks. Yeah, I guess there are two issues, one is the overall comfort/benefit of the campervan vs a hotel, the other is the financial comparison. Regarding the latter, I'm not entirely sure how it breaks. Running costs of the van, including depreciation, insurance, service and storage (secure place close to airport, which is ideal) is probably £5k a year? Does that seem right (storage is £600ish)? Maybe £6k?

Regarding a hotel, these days I can usually get away with £60 a night, which would total only £3k/year at 50 nights. But that can really jump at times. E.g. I have to spend 5 nights at the end of May and the absolutely cheapest place I can find that is not a hostel is £120 a night. And over 5-10 years inflation could really drive all of that up.

I think the math breaks in favour of the hotel, even with inflation, although using the van for a couple of weeks every summer for a euro-road-trip with the kids would change that.

I was thinking this would pretty much rule out stealth camping and not be as good for general day trip driving, that kind of thing. I can see it would be much more comfortable though to have a loo and shower on board. I should look into it.

@HowieDog , were your 2-4 days stays in London every week (or most weeks)? For me it would be 3-5 nights on average once a month, which might make it easier.

@ThomasHJ , @scottk Thanks. Yeah, I guess there are two issues, one is the overall comfort/benefit of the campervan vs a hotel, the other is the financial comparison. Regarding the latter, I'm not entirely sure how it breaks. Running costs of the van, including depreciation, insurance, service and storage (secure place close to airport, which is ideal) is probably £5k a year? Does that seem right (storage is £600ish)? Maybe £6k?

Regarding a hotel, these days I can usually get away with £60 a night, which would total only £3k/year at 50 nights. But that can really jump at times. E.g. I have to spend 5 nights at the end of May and the absolutely cheapest place I can find that is not a hostel is £120 a night. And over 5-10 years inflation could really drive all of that up.

I think the math breaks in favour of the hotel, even with inflation, although using the van for a couple of weeks every summer for a euro-road-trip with the kids would change that.
And do not forget that it is not merely a comparison of cost. You are the only one who knows what your financial situation is, but I'm just trying to say;

Owning a camper(van), for most people is not the smardest financial choice. But from a happiness-perspective, well.... that's a whole different thing.

Yeah, thanks. Am definitely not thinking of this only from a financial point of view. It's more like: Look, I'm already blowing at least £3k a year to stay in grotty hotels, to feel homeless, to spend countless hours looking for decent hotel prices, to stress about last minute changes to my travel dates that make pre-booking hotels difficult, to play bingo surprise showing up at a cheap hotel to see how grim this one is, etc.. For not that much more I could have an awesome van that gave a familiar sense of place, that I could come home to, that reduced some comfort (smaller, no shower) but offered others (don't have to drink instant coffee, can park overnight much closer to work (where there is a shower) than where my dodgy hotels are located, and that enables some awesome stuff, e.g., short drives out to the beaches of East Lothian and the Pentlands, the odd night Munroing in the highlands when I have a bit more time, and then an annual trip with my kids for a couple of weeks, which feels like something that is itself priceless. (We would do something else if we didn't do that annual trip, but depending on how annoying/fun it is to travel in Europe in the summer in a camper van, which I don't have any experience of, this option could be particular good vs alternatives.)

I definitely enjoy sleeping in a camper van, I know that from experience. I'm unsure how gritty it would be, to use a word mentioned in this thread. I suspect it could be a bit gritty on the work trips, although I could park for free a 20 minute walk from work, have 24 hr access to the building, and have showers there, so maybe not that bad.

I definitely get excited thinking about a van again but don't know if I'm delusional about how annoying it would be at times.

Yeah, thanks. Am definitely not thinking of this only from a financial point of view. It's more like: Look, I'm already blowing at least £3k a year to stay in grotty hotels, to feel homeless, to spend countless hours looking for decent hotel prices, to stress about last minute changes to my travel dates that make pre-booking hotels difficult, to play bingo surprise showing up at a cheap hotel to see how grim this one is, etc.. For not that much more I could have an awesome van that gave a familiar sense of place, that I could come home to, that reduced some comfort (smaller, no shower) but offered others (don't have to drink instant coffee, can park overnight much closer to work (where there is a shower) than where my dodgy hotels are located, and that enables some awesome stuff, e.g., short drives out to the beaches of East Lothian and the Pentlands, the odd night Munroing in the highlands when I have a bit more time, and then an annual trip with my kids for a couple of weeks, which feels like something that is itself priceless. (We would do something else if we didn't do that annual trip, but depending on how annoying/fun it is to travel in Europe in the summer in a camper van, which I don't have any experience of, this option could be particular good vs alternatives.)

I definitely enjoy sleeping in a camper van, I know that from experience. I'm unsure how gritty it would be, to use a word mentioned in this thread. I suspect it could be a bit gritty on the work trips, although I could park for free a 20 minute walk from work, have 24 hr access to the building, and have showers there, so maybe not that bad.

I definitely get excited thinking about a van again but don't know if I'm delusional about how annoying it would be at times.
Don't forget to factor in the mechanical aspects of the van. Being stored for weeks at a time, mechanical/electronic faults , short trips in a diesel vehicle not good, servicing/warranty repairs etc: because when you arrive at the airport you want to get in the van and drive away and that may not be possible.

Something else; how are you going to access water in the van? The water tank only holds 20-odd litres (30 nominally I think?) and unless you're boiling it you might not want to be drinking that for days on end. Factor in washing up etc. (remember, no hot water, so kettle on the hob to get hot washing water) and your water supply will diminish quickly.

Are there any campsites in/near Edinburgh you could use as a base? Perhaps if you know you'll be spending lots of nights there you could negotiate a cheaper rate?

Have you considered having a caravan stored locally? Some sites have seasonal storage and pull out the van for you. Not a CMHC site unfortunately in Edinburgh but it is a nice site if you do get a camper van.

Initial set up cost would be high, to buy the van and where do you park it securely when not in use, but is workable and gives you a place to call home. Could also use van for holidays. Also need to factor in van maintenance and depreciation.

It’ll depend on your personality. But for me, I’d vote for awesome idea. Not necessarily cheaper as you mentioned. But so much better from a happiness point of view.

Last year, when we started our house renovation as a moment’s notice due to our builder having a last-minute availability for us in between two other projects, I lived in our California for 6 weeks in March and April in Ireland. Sometimes sleeping in town near the house, sometimes going spending the night by the sea or in the mountains nearby. It was amazing. Even now, I frequently go away to sleep in the van for one night mid-week somewhere near the house by the sea or in a park to get away from it all and reset.

Having the van as your a personal space instead of always staying in a different cheap hotel will definitely be a big relief. Being able to go sleep in nature when you want is just pure luxury compared to a cheap hotel. The sort of stuff most people can’t experience at all (assuming you love camping and nature - many don’t actually enjoy this so much).

RE: van size. For full-time vanlife, the small size would get tiresome quite quickly for sure I imagine. Given that you’d be only using it for a few days at a time a couple of month a year total, and with access to showers at work, I don’t see this as an issue at all. It’s plenty big for one person.

The small size means you can park in any car-size parking space and can go under any 2m high barrier. In Ireland, it means I could go sleep anywhere. With a higher van, many of the best seaside spots and some of the best mountain spot I stay at would be unavailable. But then, things might be different around Edinburgh.

RE: water issue that someone mentioned. Don’t think there’s an issue there. I keep this in the boot: https://www.omearacamping.com/product/10-ltr-water-container/ You can fill it at any tap and use it to fill the van’s water tank. I don’t drink from the tap - I have a separate drinking water bottle in the kitchen cupboard.

Given that you won’t have easy access to a chemical toilet disposal point, using a dry/compostable toilet like a Trelino is handier (https://www.trelino.com/collections...MI7Z6ersHchQMVNo9QBh09RQahEAAYASAAEgK1O_D_BwE - there are much cheaper options available. The Trelino just looks nice like a nice storage box with a wooden lid instead of looking like a plastic toilet). No chemicals. The pee just goes in a pee bottle.

If you’ll be using the van a few days here and there throughout the year, I imagine that the (valid) concern of leaving it sitting for extended periods of time don’t apply. Assuming you’ll take it for a drive everytime you stay there.

A few things to consider:
- when raining hard or very windy, it gets very noisy in the van (and the van can shake in strong wind). It can make getting a good sleep hard depending on how sensitive you are to noise and movement. Not much of an issue I imagine but worth noting.
- as others mentioned: where will you keep the van when you’re away?

Last edited:
Back