Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is privacy glass a 'Must have'?

blakeley

blakeley

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
I had my Cali up for sale and most people lost interest when I said it did not have privacy, I told them you can retro fit but still never heard back from them.

Maybe a bit of advice for people who are ordering brand new - get privacy even if you dont need it!

Yes it can be retrofitted. I haven't got it on mine don't think it's nessacery just pull the blinds down.

Saw a few vans without privacy at COTF this weekend and it does look a bit like a goldfish bowl, expecially when they had their lights on inside

I was on one of the West of Scotland islands a couple of years ago and a brand new bright red (hire) Cali pitched up next to us. It simply didn't look right with normal glass. I wouldn't have expected it. Weird.

I had my Cali up for sale and most people lost interest when I said it did not have privacy, I told them you can retro fit but still never heard back from them.

Maybe a bit of advice for people who are ordering brand new - get privacy even if you dont need it!

If you think it is putting people off buying it, why don't you have the windows tinted?

/\

+1 :thumb

I had mine retro fitted, circa £300 by the same place that does my Local VW dealer retro privacy.

Looks better, better for security and more private - great for a quick change into cycling gear :thumb

20150614_175510.jpg Had mine done by a local firm great job much more privacy and looks great

Did they laminate it ?
Or took the windows out and colored them in a bath?

Limo film on the inside probably been on 12 months or so no problem with it what so ever

I'm a bit confused by this privacy glass. I read somewhere (don't remember where) that you couldn't have privacy with double glazing. (I must say, I'd rather have double glazing, even though it's only the tailgate and the two aft side windows.)

Ours is double glazed but the glass aft of the front doors is darker, but not as dark as the photos above. So what have we got?

I don't think lack of privacy glass would put me off buying.

I'm a bit confused by this privacy glass. I read somewhere (don't remember where) that you couldn't have privacy with double glazing. (I must say, I'd rather have double glazing, even though it's only the tailgate and the two aft side windows.)

Ours is double glazed but the glass aft of the front doors is darker, but not as dark as the photos above. So what have we got?

I don't think lack of privacy glass would put me off buying.

the double glazed privacy glass that's comes from VW is 'subtle.'
the film that can be applied by a third party to make privacy glass can be 'subtle' too but range to 'drug dealer' :D

mine's 'subtle' but i wouldn't have minded 'drug dealer' at all :cool:

We bought our van second hand, & chose one without privacy glass so we could get a clear uncoloured view out of the windows when we're sitting inside. I don't put the lights on without closing the blinds (I shouldn't think privacy glass works with the lights on, does it?) I can see that privacy glass might offer some advantages, but I like the view out better.

We had a Vw Kombi with "dark" privacy tint on the side windows when you were looking out it always looked like it was gloomy and about to start raining we much prefer the " subtle" tint on our SE. Dark tint would stop me from buying!

We had a Vw Kombi with "dark" privacy tint on the side windows when you were looking out it always looked like it was gloomy and about to start raining we much prefer the " subtle" tint on our SE. Dark tint would stop me from buying!

but think of the nice surprise when you emerge into what you expect to be gloom only to discover it's a wonderful sunny day :shocked

Back