Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ireland holiday

Multi1100

Multi1100

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hello all, we have planned a vacation in Ireland this year. Just booked the ferry to Harwich on 6th of June. We will arrive in the early evening and booked a first stop on The Shottisham Campsite St Margarets House Hollesley Road Shottisham which should not be too far from Harwich and will spend the fist night there.
Next day make the crossing to Holyhead to get the ferry to Ireland. Some questions with which maybe some of you could be of help;
  • Is crossing the UK from Shottisham to Holyhead do-able in one day? For km's sake I think it can, but I do not know how traffic will be on that route, any experiences?
  • Should we make a reservation for the ferry from Holyhead to Ireland?
  • Any other information will be greatly appreciated. (such as things to must see In Ireland, routes etc.) Off course part of the Wild Atlantic way.
On our way back (having the daytime ferry from Harwich on June 27th) we like to pass Wales. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

As an amateur nature photographer and as an ex-merchant marine officer (long time ago, the 70's and 80's) I would also very much welcome some info about possibilities of going on a whale watch tour. Would be excited to see and photograph one or two. Nowadays there are more whales than back then.
Thanks!

Hey
Definitely book the ferry ! It gets busy and there is little to be gained not booking in my view. Irish Ferries and Stena Line both service the route and are similar in price.

I would definitely recommend the East Kerry and Weat Cork coastline. Kinsale, clonakilty, Kenmare are all great. And Killarney is a great town that is very welcoming.

Remember to try the soda bread, don’t worry about the weather and enjoy !

If you need a stopover in Dublin, I would recommend Camac Valley. It has continental-style pitches with 5ft tall box hedging between pitches - quite unexpected for a campsite that is a 20 minute drive from the city centre.

It depends on your ability to keep moving (2 drivers?) and time of your Ireland sailing. In theory the car journey takes 6 hours, but take regard that some of the roads you will travel on get busy with commuter traffic. You will travel on a Friday, and roads get busy from 7am to 10am and again around 2pm through to 7pm with commuters. The M11, A14 and M6 (especially around Birmingham) on your route get really busy. Realistically if allow about 60 to 90 minutes for bad traffic, and arrive at the port maybe an hour before sailing, plus stops. So maybe 6 hours becomes 9 to 10 hours?

The crossing to Ireland is busy in summer, so I would book it. If you think you need a stopover before the Irish sailing there’s a good site in Anglesey around 35 minutes from the port - Penrhos Caravan Club.

In good traffic Harwich to M6 junction 15 takes about 4 hours with a loo stop. Junction 15 to Holyhead is about 3 hours.
As already stated, the route can get badly snarled up with traffic and there are few alternative routes other than A14 / M6, maybe A14 / M1 / A50 to avoid Birmingham.
So, very doable but tiring for one driver.

It depends on your ability to keep moving (2 drivers?) and time of your Ireland sailing. In theory the car journey takes 6 hours, but take regard that some of the roads you will travel on get busy with commuter traffic. You will travel on a Friday, and roads get busy from 7am to 10am and again around 2pm through to 7pm with commuters. The M11, A14 and M6 (especially around Birmingham) on your route get really busy. Realistically if allow about 60 to 90 minutes for bad traffic, and arrive at the port maybe an hour before sailing, plus stops. So maybe 6 hours becomes 9 to 10 hours?

The crossing to Ireland is busy in summer, so I would book it. If you think you need a stopover before the Irish sailing there’s a good site in Anglesey around 35 minutes from the port - Penrhos Caravan Club.
At the Penrhos site at the moment….lovely wardens, very newly refurbished facilities and one of the best views from a dog walking field with the mountains in the distance …just be careful on the bridle path from the site…wife fractured knee on the first evening hear…staying so she can have it recast at Bangor hospital which is excellent!!!!

IMG_4440.jpeg

IMG_4441.jpeg

Hi all, thanks for the tips! (have not been on the forum for some time) We will definitely go to Kinsale Clonakilty and Killarney (Cill Airne ;-) ). Almost last week to get the final preparation done.
Thanks again!

Hi all, thanks for the tips! (have not been on the forum for some time) We will definitely go to Kinsale Clonakilty and Killarney (Cill Airne ;-) ). Almost last week to get the final preparation done.
Thanks again!
Please report back how you found your route and places you stayed !

Back