Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Interesting Knaus 6.1 Conversion

B

Barry Chuckle

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
I found this online, really quirky MH based on 6.1. Looks interesting but clearly these aren't selling if they're offering £17k off list o_O

I found this online, really quirky MH based on 6.1. Looks interesting but clearly these aren't selling if they're offering £17k off list o_O

Haha, Classic! 4 berth…. 2 safety belts! Really? Other than that a good (ish) idea….sort of smaller Great White but in beige :D

Just found a review of this posted in the past 24 hours, looks a fascinating option. Perhaps wished I'd looked at this before ordering a Crafter based conversion....

We had a really good look over one at the NEC last November - our friends that we went with git very close to buying one. A really nice conversion.

Shower is genius. All these vlog reviews need to learn the art of edit!

Modifying millennial speak TLDW

This could have possibly been a contender for me had I known about it when changing from the Cali, it's narrower than most motorhomes. But £88k to £70k brand new is a panic discount so clearly these are not selling and I can't quite see why that is?

I wonder if left hand drive and only 2 seat belts is putting off customers.
It does limit the appeal for families and those who plan to do most of the driving in the UK.
Doesn't LHD impact on insurance premiums as well?

I wonder if left hand drive and only 2 seat belts is putting off customers.
It does limit the appeal for families and those who plan to do most of the driving in the UK.
Doesn't LHD impact on insurance premiums as well?
You can get a RHD version in the UK but ists more expensive.

Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should. The best of no worlds unfortunately this one.

they've been very clever to hide the fact its LHD in the text.

Probably why its so cheap. The RHD version is 10 grand more.
Ah right certainly fooled me, that's surely misrepresentation the pictures show it as RHD. Thanks Mr Burns you've solved that little mystery!!

Seems clear enough…….. you may have seen or read what you ‘wanted’ to see? Easily done and yes LHD new vans are not an everyday thing in UK

IMG_1270.jpeg

IMG_1271.jpeg

Last edited:
Ah right certainly fooled me, that's surely misrepresentation the pictures show it as RHD.
The gallery pictures give two views from the back of the van which clearly show which side the steering wheel is on, but they have definitely avoided mentioning LHD in the blurb.

they've been very clever to hide the fact its LHD in the text.

Probably why its so cheap. The RHD version is 10 grand more.
It looks like the advert might have changed. They now appear to have 6 six for sale on their website all now RHD - there are two layouts, one with side facing sofas, one with a forward facing half dinette with an extra pair of seatbelts. If you want to carry 4 it's pretty obvious you won't want the side facing sofas.

So now we've established its RHD & has 4 belts & 4 beds, what's wrong with it?

It looks like the advert might have changed. They now appear to have 6 six for sale on their website all now RHD - there are two layouts, one with side facing sofas, one with a forward facing half dinette with an extra pair of seatbelts. If you want to carry 4 it's pretty obvious you won't want the side facing sofas.

So now we've established its RHD & has 4 belts & 4 beds, what's wrong with it?
Nothing really, I looked at it (purely out of interest) when ABAB did a review on the two models, the MQ and the LT, which have the two layouts mentioned.

Both the MQ and LT on the Premium Motorhomes site that are at <70k are LHD, which you can see from the photos, and it does tell you in the text (but not prominently).

The RHD models are another 10 grand more, but you do seem to get a lot for your money, and if you want the Transporter base and something bigger than a Cali or LWB conversion then it looks a good shout. Plus I'm led to believe Knaus is a quality brand, although I haven't been in one personally.

Personally, it's not for me, I'm not wedded to VW as a brand (although I obviously love the Cali) and if (fingers crossed) I get the funds together to upgrade the van in a few years, I don't think I'd go for a 6m long mini motorhome without an oven.

I agree with Mr B, this does look a very compelling proposition. It's pretty unique and a fixed bed in a VW base with toilet and shower make it even more desirable at around 80k!

I've just seen one of these, german registered, on a campsite in Beaune. It does look nice, but I think if I was going to move away from my t6.1, I would probably go for a Crafter conversion of some kind.

BTW - it's definitely a lot wider than a normal T6.1.

Back