Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Insurance

Admiral Muticar with full business use. Cali portion has been almost same for 3 years - approx £250. Last year Tesla bit went from £700 to £900 (price checked elsewhere and they all wanted £2k! Just for the Tesla!)

Last edited:
Had a great deal with LV over the last two years. This time it was going to almost double. Cast about for a better offer - Comfort, Ripe, Direct Line and Safeguard wouldn't offer cover as we keep the vehicle on the street and it is too valuable. CMC came in just below the LV offer, but in the end we went with Admiral multi car which was much the cheapest overall, and allows business use.
Been with lv for many years Seems LV are doing themselves down mine went from £368 to £745 also increasing excess motorhome & caravan club insurance came in at £379 which is underwritten by AXA.

Heard an interesting piece on the radio this week, from the head of an insurance brokers body, regarding the reasons why premiums are rocketing currently. If I recall right, the main reasons were, vehicle repairs getting more expensive due to cost inflation on parts, labour, and clever cars where windscreens and bumpers are packed with sensors (quoted high end German car bumpers costing £4k); the cost of new cars escalating, which increases costs of replacement and courtesy cars; significant increase in thefts and reduction in theft recoveries; increase in road defect influenced damage repairs (pot holes). He quoted average increases in the 30 to 50% range. WBAC cited far higher increases of 50 - 75%.

I guess that individual underwriters will look at their own books, and I’m wondering if previously good value insurers like LV= are reassessing their risks, waking up to the potential for higher value vehicles to be stolen or written off (or significant repairs)?

The other feature I’ve seen is a type of “shrinkflation”. In our recently renewed policy with Comfort (underwritten by Aviva) the amount of excesses has been increased slightly, so you get less value from a claim for a slightly more expensive policy. Just like reducing the size of chocolate bars and gravy granules! The amount of claim excess increased significantly if the mileage covered in the year goes above + 1000 miles over your pre-estimate. I noticed last year that our policy with unlimited mileage increased significantly - except we changed from unlimited to 8,000 miles p.a., and the premium came in 40% cheaper than the year before, and 60% cheaper than the quoted unlimited premium for 2023. The renewal last week was 7% more than the previous year, still at 8,000 miles. BTW you can increase your annual mileage on the policy (avoiding potential excesses) at any time, paying the difference in premium plus a change fee of about £30.

The take homes for me are; it’s definitely worthwhile assessing your annual mileage as you might be paying a higher than necessary premium, and if your premium still goes up massively, shop around as not all insurers are approaching their risk portfolios in the same way.

Just had my insurance quote for this year from LV. 2019 T6 Cali Ocean 150PS. It’s gone up from £250 to £350, but this still seems to be quite competitive so I’m planning on staying with them.

Just had my insurance quote for this year from LV. 2019 T6 Cali Ocean 150PS. It’s gone up from £250 to £350, but this still seems to be quite competitive so I’m planning on staying with them.
Hi @Magic Bus - it’s still worthwhile giving them a call, stating your premium has risen by 40%, and asking the question ‘what’s your best price?’ I know it sounds a silly question, surely they’ve already given you that? But I had a similar level of increase on our car cover summer last year with LV - it had gone up 30% to £452. The call reduced it by £50 so the increased was reduced to 15%. I didn’t even need to get a comparison quote to beat them down. At the end of the call, I asked the chap, ‘why didn’t you offer me this in my renewal?’ The scripted response was understandably vague!

Aways worth a go!

We’re with Comfort, 3 years now and ours has gone up by 21%. Also Aviva, the underwriters, have increased several of the excesses… windscreen, voluntary excess etc.
Still it’s not as high an increase as the car with LV that was 35% and that’s with 9 + years NCD.
I think car insurance is being hammered to cover ‘other insurance’ issues like house floods /storm damage … there’s no way it’s merely parts / labour costs.
Those of us with Pet insurance are experiencing the same, if not even more inflated price hikes !

We’re with Comfort, 3 years now and ours has gone up by 21%. Also Aviva, the underwriters, have increased several of the excesses… windscreen, voluntary excess etc.
Still it’s not as high an increase as the car with LV that was 35% and that’s with 9 + years NCD.
I think car insurance is being hammered to cover ‘other insurance’ issues like house floods /storm damage … there’s no way it’s merely parts / labour costs.
Those of us with Pet insurance are experiencing the same, if not even more inflated price hikes !
Car Insurance is losing money and has been for two years. It’s not cross subsiding other classes. And it’s not just parts/labour costs. It’s increased new and second hand car prices, increased occurrences of accidents/thefts, more complex vehicles which results in more expensive repairs for minor accidents, supply chain issues, increased litigation costs and settlements, damage due to potholes etc etc.

Last edited:
Think I'd rather have dental surgery than sort out cover but needs must.

Admiral- wouldn't cover it due to the value, quote failed online, answer came from the live chat. The cover a mates on multi car apparently ?
Lifesure- £830 only with a tracker, with my wife on the cover it went down £170
LV- wouldn't let me add a bike rack, tried calling, not enough hours this avo to deal with that.
Caravan Guard £590 with a tracker
Comfort, quote last month was £502 with a tracker

I'll check a few more....

Think I'd rather have dental surgery than sort out cover but needs must.

Admiral- wouldn't cover it due to the value, quote failed online, answer came from the live chat. The cover a mates on multi car apparently ?
Lifesure- £830 only with a tracker, with my wife on the cover it went down £170
LV- wouldn't let me add a bike rack, tried calling, not enough hours this avo to deal with that.
Caravan Guard £590 with a tracker
Comfort, quote last month was £502 with a tracker

I'll check a few more....
We’ve been with Comfort for 3years and no request for a tracker. We keep on the driveway with steering wheel lock and wheel clamp., don’t know if that makes a difference.

We’ve been with Comfort for 3years and no request for a tracker. We keep on the driveway with steering wheel lock and wheel clamp., don’t know if that makes a difference.
I think Comfort require trackers on vehicles over £75k in replacement value. When we bought our van, the full value (without discount) was just under this, so they didn’t require a tracker. As it happens, we’d already planned this, and so they gave a 5% reduction in premium. I also believe this requirement is from the underwriters, Aviva, as we had a similar reaction from other brokers offering the Aviva cover.

I’m still waiting for delivery of my cali (it’s at the port) but do check the policies are like for like as not all are. The best price for the best cover for me is Comfort but probably have to get a new quote so that may change. Had quotes ranging from £600 to £1200.

I've had the docs sent to me for a few so I can check the details. So far the only one which will take the risk, without a tracker, at a value of just over £75k are Safeguard. That's with Highway via LV, new for old 2 years or 15K miles

Safeguard renewal through with roughly 20% increase on last year.

Modified 204 4M; £500 incl fees & tax

i had done a basic C&MC online quote which was nearly that without European breakdown/recovery which Safeguard has.

Going through this again with the usual suspects for the new van in March. My car is with LV but they still don’t seem to know their Cali‘s. It’s on their list, but when asked, the habitation side is not covered, despite going through their motorhome channel. Comfort is a good policy, (relatively) good price but needs tracker. Safeguard expensive. NFU top of the pile for consideration so far.

Going through this again with the usual suspects for the new van in March. My car is with LV but they still don’t seem to know their Cali‘s. It’s on their list, but when asked, the habitation side is not covered, despite going through their motorhome channel. Comfort is a good policy, (relatively) good price but needs tracker. Safeguard expensive. NFU top of the pile for consideration so far.
Yep, I had a similar conversation with LV recently. Basically everything factory fitted was covered. Fires arising from motoring such as an engine fire are covered, but tough luck if you burn your toast and set fire to the van.

Yep, I had a similar conversation with LV recently. Basically everything factory fitted was covered. Fires arising from motoring such as an engine fire are covered, but tough luck if you burn your toast and set fire to the van.
Is VW's own Insurance ( underwritten by UK Insurance / Direct Line) an option for anyone, some of us who bought Californias over the Summer got 'free' insurance from VWCS (subject to a tracker) & you would hope that would fully cover the all van

It’s crazy to buy a hugely expensive campervan, to risk losing it if you burn your toast for not having a proper insurance policy!

There does seem to be contradictory information on the cover provided by LV.

We have a multicar policy with LV and I asked the question this evening about switching one of the vehicles for a campervan in March.
Below is a copy of the transcript. Given the answers, am I missing something?

• I will be changing one of the cars on our multicar policy for a campervan on the 8th March 2024.

• Do you cover campervans on the multi car policy?
    19:20

• We do indeed.
    Chat Agent

19:20

• And is the cover campervan specific, including accidental damage or loss to the interior in the event of any major claim? For example if the standard fit gas hob was to cause a fire, would the campervan be covered?
    19:21

• That is correct. You will have cover for accessories and other items fitted to the vehicle such as:* Fitted Awnings* Cookers* Fridges* Beds* CupboardsThere is also a cover limit Personal Belongings is increased to £1,000 on Motorcaravans. This will cover for any personal belongings such as:* Bed Linen* Cooking Utensils* Crockery* Cutlery etc.* Clothes
    Chat Agent

19:25
  • OK thanks.
    19:26

• In another scenario, if an external gas BBQ for example was to set the van on fire would the van be covered for loss?
    19:27

• We do cover you for fire damage yes.
    Chat Agent

19:29

• OK thanks again. I should have the registration number for the new campervan in a couple of weeks time. What is the best way to get a quote from you to change the existing policy?
    19:29
  • You can either come back to chat or free phone 0330 678 5222, and one of my colleagues will be happy to help.

• If you register your account on our website you can also change the vehicle there also.
    Chat Agent

• Perfect. Thanks for your help

Complete opposite to my experience. When enquiring on a previous Cali, I had confirmation from the head of underwriting that the habitation elements were not covered. I’d read comments that they may have changed so gave them a shot. The inconsistency and confusion alone is enough to make me go elsewhere.

I’ve been trawling through the insurance companies (mind numbing at times) for a quote on my soon to arrive Ocean. To cut a very long story short NFU cami in with the best offer of just over £500.

I’ve been trawling through the insurance companies (mind numbing at times) for a quote on my soon to arrive Ocean. To cut a very long story short NFU cami in with the best offer of just over £500.
I tried NFU but would not cover me for commuting to one place of work as I occasionally need would need to take the van now and then. First time ever encountered this.

Just going through the insurance roller coaster now on my new one picking up in a week, my free VW policy can't be moved over(even for a fee), so need to start again, it doesn't include any contents and they want a tracker. LV is the cheapest so far no tracker, Comfort more expensive than LV but needs a tracker, grr....

The T&Cs for the LV policy don't seem to include any specific Campervan policy elements that i can see

Oddly Aviva via Confused.com don't seem to need a tracker, i thought the Comfort policy was underwritten by Aviva

Last edited:
Give these brokers a call - just about to fix our Club Joker with them thru Aviva. Up to £5k camping gear covered.. All done over the phone:

IMG_0001.jpegIMG_0002.jpeg