Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Insurance

In Jan this year Caravan and Motorhome Club covered my 2018 LWB 150 DSG Highline Hightop conversion for £443. Lower than last year.

1714164989092.png
Balls off Sheila!

Care to share who has been “caught out in the past” ?
There have been a few cases of cheap quotes from LV and it materialised that the policy was for a car/van not a Campervan/Motorhome . Yes, New for Old if you were involved in a vehicle accident but not for “ Camping “ accidents.
LV do have a Campervan/Motorhome Policy but would seem that sometimes the call handler gets it wrong.

Just had another long chat with Admiral about insurance for the new Ocean we're picking up this week. After a LOT of toing and froing about whether it's a van or a car or just what the hell it is I managed to get them to swap my outgoing car for the Cali, and add back the outgoing car temporarily while I shift it, and actually ended up with a small refund on the policy which runs to January (the agent had to get manager/underwriter approval due to the value, so I was expecting quite a large number!).

I have very little faith in what is actually covered however, particularly after reading the above, so I'll be checking the details carefully and will most likely get a specific camper/motorhome policy come renewal, if not before, once I've managed to get a tracker fitted (which they all seem to want except for Admiral). For the time being I at least have what is legally required to drive the vehicle.

It seems the California is in a very odd insurance segment, because it comes up on all their systems as a car, and all the specific camper places are expecting a conversion which of course it isn't. The likes of Adrian Flux wanted in excess of £2k! I can see why there are a lot of questions about insurance, it's a minefield.

Just had another long chat with Admiral about insurance for the new Ocean we're picking up this week. After a LOT of toing and froing about whether it's a van or a car or just what the hell it is I managed to get them to swap my outgoing car for the Cali, and add back the outgoing car temporarily while I shift it, and actually ended up with a small refund on the policy which runs to January (the agent had to get manager/underwriter approval due to the value, so I was expecting quite a large number!).

I have very little faith in what is actually covered however, particularly after reading the above, so I'll be checking the details carefully and will most likely get a specific camper/motorhome policy come renewal, if not before, once I've managed to get a tracker fitted (which they all seem to want except for Admiral). For the time being I at least have what is legally required to drive the vehicle.

It seems the California is in a very odd insurance segment, because it comes up on all their systems as a car, and all the specific camper places are expecting a conversion which of course it isn't. The likes of Adrian Flux wanted in excess of £2k! I can see why there are a lot of questions about insurance, it's a minefield.
Hi ,I use comfort insurance. Been great. Approx £500 per year. Worth a try.

A sample of my quotes, and all with the same info provided:
- Comfort £1,100
- Sheila’s wheels £1,460
- C&MC £1,240
- Admiral £770

There have been a few cases of cheap quotes from LV and it materialised that the policy was for a car/van not a Campervan/Motorhome . Yes, New for Old if you were involved in a vehicle accident but not for “ Camping “ accidents.
LV do have a Campervan/Motorhome Policy but would seem that sometimes the call handler gets it wrong.
I saved the chat discussion with LV regarding insuring my Ocean with them on our LV multicar policy :

• I will be changing one of the cars on our multicar policy for a campervan on the 8th March 2024.
Do you cover campervans on the multi car policy?

19:20

We do indeed.

Chat Agent

19:20

• And is the cover campervan specific, including accidental damage or loss to the interior in the event of any major claim? For example if the standard fit gas hob was to cause a fire, would the campervan be covered?
19:21
  • That is correct. You will have cover for accessories and other items fitted to the vehicle such as:* Fitted Awnings* Cookers* Fridges* Beds* CupboardsThere is also a cover limit Personal Belongings is increased to £1,000 on Motorcaravans. This will cover for any personal belongings such as:* Bed Linen* Cooking Utensils* Crockery* Cutlery etc.* Clothes

Chat Agent

19:25

• OK thanks.
19:26

• In another scenario, if an external gas BBQ for example was to set the van on fire would the van be covered for loss?

19:27

• We do cover you for fire damage yes.

When the policy documents came through, they refer to the Cali as a VW Motorcaravan and show £1000 cover for personal belongings.

It does seem like a bit of a lottery though with LV.