Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Innovative ways to secure your California?

I use a shed alarm made by Olarm. Motion sensor in the van, alarm module in the house/room/apartment, wherever. Range is over 200 metres line of sight and at least 10 through walls. Both units are usb powered. Used it in the small villa we rented in Portugal this winter, van parked about 15 metres away through two fairly solid walls and no problem with the signal. Great hassle free peace of mind for about forty quid.

An advantage on the T5/5.1/6 You cannot swivel the Drivers seat without opening the door. So, if Deadlocks/ Safelock engaged and seat turned, as safe as you can be.

Not sure if the same applies to the T6.1
I am also lucky enough to have a T5. Know exactly what you mean about the driver seat swivelling, even with the door open it is a challenge to the unintiated. A question arising from your post. How do you know you have got the deadlocks engaged, or not before leaving your vehicle unattended?

A large RV (20ft plus) was stolen off a front driveway in the early ours this week. They even succeeded in backing it out of the drive. We are on the same road and my wife is now paranoid about our Cali getting nicked next. Unfortunately, she wants me to throw money at the problem. Already bought an £80 steering lock but she is not happy and wants me to buy a wheel locks as well. Best part of £250 will be parted with there. Wish I could get her to listen to the less anxious voices on here.

I am also lucky enough to have a T5. Know exactly what you mean about the driver seat swivelling, even with the door open it is a challenge to the unintiated. A question arising from your post. How do you know you have got the deadlocks engaged, or not before leaving your vehicle unattended?
On mine when you remove ignition key you get a Dashboard message Safelock see handbook. That means the Deadlock will be engaged on locking.
Check yourself. Remove ignition key from ignition. Lock vehicle via remote whilst in vehicle. Wait 30 secs. Can you unlock door using handle?

That must have hurt ... :(
Yes, particularly as I'd just put a new engine, twin carbs etc in it, had a brand new set of interior panels still in the packets inside and it was off the road and not insured at the time as I wasn't driving it. Lesson learned the hard way.

Whenever possible, we park on our drive nose in. This makes it harder to tow away. If not using the van and leaving it parked, we also swivel the drivers seat.

Had an email from Comfort insurance with anti theft tips a couple of weeks ago. They reckon there’s been an increase in campervan and motorhome thefts. They suggest having signage to say you’ve got a tracker / immobiliser installed. Not sure about this though?

Whenever possible, we park on our drive nose in. This makes it harder to tow away. If not using the van and leaving it parked, we also swivel the drivers seat.

Had an email from Comfort insurance with anti theft tips a couple of weeks ago. They reckon there’s been an increase in campervan and motorhome thefts. They suggest having signage to say you’ve got a tracker / immobiliser installed. Not sure about this though?
I had that email too, I agree it's questionable a sticker would make any difference. Those low life scrotes who steal them will know that high value campers are likely to need a tracker for insurance purposes.

I don't think the issue is that campers have become more desirable amongst thieves, it's just that thieves know that they can act with relative impunity as the police are unlikely to do much about it. But that's another story in itself.....

Back