Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

I'm all questions...

Caroline9

Caroline9

Vehicle
T5 SE 140 4Motion
Hi guys, I'm looking for a little advice. You know the brake light that is high up on the back door, well it must have popped out and we rolled over it while reversing. Not the whole thing, just the red plastic part. I rang the local VW dealer and they had one in stock, so I went in to pick it up, thinking it was only the red plastic part I'd have to buy, but no, it comes as a whole unit, but what makes it expensive is that I have to book in the van to have it fixed.
So I'm just wondering if there is a way around this, as in, taking the red plastic part off the new unit and trying to refix it to the existing one? Or is it a sealed unit and not possible to do this. Has anyone else had this issue?
I can't figure out how it popped out in the first place, would it be heat from the sun or something? We hadn't hit or banged anything, it was just parked outside. The van is still under warranty, does the warranty cover this kind of thing? I should ring the dealer with that question I suppose, but my experience with them is that I talk to their receptionist who promises that some guy will return the call, but never does.
The other thing I was wondering about is, the floor area between the two from seats seems to dip when you stand on it, not as solid as the rest. Is this normal?
Oh yeah, one more thing, sorry about this, but as I'm at it... There are tons of exposed wires under the passenger seat, is this OK?

Thanks guys, I'm not a bit mechanical, but if I can every be of help to anyone regarding the Cork/Kerry area, don't hesitate to ask.

Best, Caroline.

Hi Caroline,

High level brake light lens is a know issue. There is a thread about it somewhere. As your van is still in warranty VW should fix this at no cost to you.

The space between the seats is a channel that is covered just by the carpet and a thick underlay, so does give way when you stand on it. Same for us all.

All of the wires under the passenger seat should have insulation on them and are bound together in three runs with fabric tape to keep them tidy. They are part of the air bag, heated seat and use sensor system and run up to the underside of the seat. The rest are part of the leisure wiring for the leisure batteries, lights, heater and so on. Unless you are seeing bare metal, all should be OK.

Alan

Hi Caroline
If the Cali is still under warranty then the Dealer should replace the light unit under warranty.
Yes, the floor between the seats is "squidgy "
Yes, there are a lot of wires visible under the passengers seat.
Yes,the Dealers are useless at returning calls, don't take it personally.

We had ours done under warranty - no qubbles from Northampton VW (Commercial).

Definitely a WARRANTY repair. VW know about this. Mine is somewhere on the M4. Was there in London and gone in Cardiff. Repaired under warranty no problem. DO NOT PAY.

If Dealer says no then phone/email VW Customer Services with Reg Number so that they can check warranty date and they will sort it.

my brake light gets replaced under warranty....

normally around once a quarter !!:shocked

Initially we glued our rear light lens after it came loose, but decided to have it replaced under warranty. Heritage Bristol did it in a few minutes while we waited. They thought it was a modified part.

Thanks guys for all the replies, ye are a well of information. I got it replaced today and the dealer is looking into the warranty issue, fingers crossed this one will stay in place. All the best, Caroline.

Initially we glued our rear light lens after it came loose, but decided to have it replaced under warranty. Heritage Bristol did it in a few minutes while we waited. They thought it was a modified part.

This is a big job involving stripping the back door, if they did it while you waited I think they may have just glued the lens. The full replacement is a new light unit from the inside.

I said a few minutes, probably more like 45 (had a good book so didn't seem too long!). From the waiting area we could see them remove the rear door panels. They've done quite a few so seem to be well practiced.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Same happened to me 2 weeks ago - repaired under warranty no questions VW Indian Queens Cornwall

Back