Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

I want to replace my Varta AGM 7PO 915 105 battery with the identical battery. If identical, do I need to go through recoding procedure?

Jubilado Tim

Jubilado Tim

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I want to replace my Varta AGM 7PO 915 195 starter battery with the identical Varta battery and ref no. The AA advise that there's no need to recode if the replacement is identical. What views do members have on that?

I want to replace my Varta AGM 7PO 915 195 starter battery with the identical Varta battery and ref no. The AA advise that there's no need to recode if the replacement is identical. What views do members have on that?
I didn’t recode my new battery - but I did take it for 20 min spin to get rid of the mini beeps, whirring, etc. All fine then.

Firstly, do you have Stop/Start and Bluemotion regenerative Braking? If No, then no need to code in new battery.
If you do have that system then If you want the most efficient charging system initially then code in new battery.
If you don't then the system takes time and miles to reset to the new battery.
Does it matter?
You won't notice any difference . There might be a small reduction in battery life etc: and less efficient mpg/emissions for a few weeks, but I doubt if you would notice.
I believe some of the OBD readers, Carista or OBDeleven can recode new batteries.

I switched mine for the same Varta model last year, no Blue Motion no recoding required and all is good.

Hi, just picked up a new battery for my 2016 start/stop bluemotion beach, I’ve just read the above comments regarding coding ?
Is that something I can do or does it need to be done with some sort of reader or programmer ?
Cheers

Hi, just picked up a new battery for my 2016 start/stop bluemotion beach, I’ve just read the above comments regarding coding ?
Is that something I can do or does it need to be done with some sort of reader or programmer ?
Cheers
Carista, OBDeleven or VCDS software will do it, OR just drive it.
As said above, if a new engine battery is not coded then it just takes longer for the battery specific charging profile to settle down for that battery.
NB: Leisure Batteries do not require this coding and there is no provision for this in the vehicles software.

Thanks for the information,
Can we not go back to simpler times when coding and the likes were not required :)

Thanks for the information,
Can we not go back to simpler times when coding and the likes were not required :)
You’ll have to convince the Environmental lobby I’m afraid.

Back