Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How to stop pipe coming off the pump

couplands

couplands

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
On my MY 22 Ocean, I’ve had the pipe come away from the pump in the fresh water tank. It’s an easy fix to push it back on, but requires the faff of taking the lid off the tank etc.

It’s happened a couple of times and recently I’ve put a cable tie around the pipe to try and hold it more securely onto the pump.

I just wondered if any of you have a better solution for positively fixing the pipe to the pump…?

On my MY 22 Ocean, I’ve had the pipe come away from the pump in the fresh water tank. It’s an easy fix to push it back on, but requires the faff of taking the lid off the tank etc.

It’s happened a couple of times and recently I’ve put a cable tie around the pipe to try and hold it more securely onto the pump.

I just wondered if any of you have a better solution for positively fixing the pipe to the pump…?
I would use a stainless steel jubilee clip rather than a cable tie. I don’t think you’ll get the cable tie to grip that well.

Cut the end of the pipe off then re fit it

Cut the end of the pipe off then re fit it
I might end up with a very short pipe as it seems to fall off every few months..!

There isn’t any flare/barb on the pump connector so the pipe is free to just slip off, I could try roughing up the connector to see if it grips the pipe any better.

As FB said, chop the last 30mm of the pipe. It’s stretched/hardened.
Place the new end in a mug of hot water for a few minutes then push it on to the pump. Done.

I would use a stainless steel jubilee clip rather than a cable tie. I don’t think you’ll get the cable tie to grip that well.

Tie raps have enough strength to secure the pipe. Important is to use food grade tie raps, that do not leak chemicals in your drinking water.

See: cabletiesunlimited.com/learn/food-grade-cable-ties/

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

Tie raps have enough strength to secure the pipe. Important is to use food grade tie raps, that do not leak chemicals in your drinking water.

See: cabletiesunlimited.com/learn/food-grade-cable-ties/

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.
That’s a great point, I’ll check that out.

I did the emergency fix while away in the van, I’m back home now so will check what tie wrap is best.

Is your pump just laying loose in the tank with the pipe attached? If so the extra movement could be causing the pipe to come off. There is a fitting (I can’t remember what!) to attach your pump to the inside of the tank I think to stop this.

Is your pump just laying loose in the tank with the pipe attached? If so the extra movement could be causing the pipe to come off. There is a fitting (I can’t remember what!) to attach your pump to the inside of the tank I think to stop this.
The pump should locate between (if I remember correctly) small protrusions on the bottom of the tank, which keep it in position and upright so you could be right. Especially if the tubing has hardened.

Back