Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How seriously should I take VW dealer's 'urgent' advice after a Healthcheck?

Pinch of salt.....

We had a pool VW UP and had a load of red / urgent following a service / health check so we said fine crack on....its under a full maintenance package..... oddly VW leasing criteria is slightly different so all the reds were changed to okay. We did manage to have the tyres changed but they were reluctant but finally relented

VW asked me to authorise some 'urgent' work that needed doing which I knew full well was a warranty issue. They hadn't realised the van was still under VW Extended Warranty.

They gave me a price and I said 'yes, great go for it'.

When I came to 'pay' they seemed less than happy when I pointed out the van was under warranty.

I don't understand why they can't do these simple checks as it is all on their databases but not my problem...

Also don't ever buy brakes from VW, or for that matter any non-warrantied parts from VW - get the parts yourself and get an independent to fit - it's way cheaper.

When I bought my then 7 year old van with full service history I noticed several changes of brake pads and discs and thought, hm, that's going to be expensive!
In the 8 years since then I think I've had brake pads once and discs never. My van is maintained by the very reliable and trustworthy local workshop I've used for probably 30 years plus.
It's just been MOT'd with no advisories.

I've never used a VW workshop since I took in an ageing Passat for a carb tune-up and they told me I needed a new carburettor. Went back to my then mechanic who said kindly "Of course you do, you need a new car, but that's beside the point! And tweaked the carburettor so it was OK until the next time.

How much are we talking about for the brake fluid change?

I've got through several sets of brake discs & pads on my van already as I don't use it either often enough or hard enough apparently - the discs get surface rust on them & end up scored.

Whilst I expect there's a sweet spot somewhere twixt the two extremes, I've resigned myself to the alternative being them getting worn out and replaced anyway, and as 'brakes are important', it's just the cost of doing business ...
Replaced both front & rear discs & pads and flushed through with fresh brake fluid, cost £453.94 from Euro Car Parts doing it myself, it’s not a difficult job, just need a wind back tool for the rear calliper pistons. You might get a bit grubby doing it!

I got some discs / pads changed at a local KwikFit on my previous T5 conversion ahead of an Italy trip via the Alps

VW subsequently told me they’d twisted one calliper a full rotation - any outlet can mess up (and JCT certainly do too) & we all put a lot of blind faith into what they’re doing

I got some discs / pads changed at a local KwikFit on my previous T5 conversion ahead of an Italy trip via the Alps

VW subsequently told me they’d twisted one calliper a full rotation - any outlet can mess up (and JCT certainly do too) & we all put a lot of blind faith into what they’re doing

Did kwik fit rectify their error?

Last edited:
Back to OP question, if you arent gping to trust the dealers advice why pay dealer prices in the 1st place?

Breeze, my local dealer changed my brake fluid on my T6 Ocean last June in it's two year service and charged me £66 inc fluid and vat. £25 sounds very cheap at today's prices.
Unless they are just replacing the fluid in the reservoir and not bleeding the entire brake system. I can't see a full flush being that cheap.

Did kwik fit rectify their error?
VW had already done it whilst it was up on their ramp for something else - I’m sure KwikFit would’ve done given the chance, but not specific to any particular organisation

Dealers get a lot of stick on here - much of which is deserved - but Independents aren’t all saints either

Wow! Was that all the damage they did?

Must of been a good Kwikfit. :)

I wouldn't let those spanner monkeys anywhere near my car.

Breeze, my local dealer changed my brake fluid on my T6 Ocean last June in it's two year service and charged me £66 inc fluid and vat. £25 sounds very cheap at today's prices.
Indi garage 2 minutes from my house, the guy picks the van up and delivers it back £25 brake fluid change. :cheers

£50 would be top end of reasonable, particularly as a VW machine does the work !

you keep paying for the main dealer if your happy.
Brake fluid should be tested before an arbitrary change, testing costs nothing and could save on using unnecessary resources and cost ?

Back