Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hook up amp ratings

Freeley

Freeley

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Will the cali work off an 8 amp hook up?
One of the sites in france i'm looking at has 8 amp(1760 watts) as standard and 13 amp(2860 watts) for an extra euro.
Don't mind paying the extra euro but is it needed?

Depends on whether you will be using an electric kettle or hair dryer or microwave oven. And what their power rating is. We have taken 5amp supply in France and accept that occasionally we will trip the supply.

The Cali will work fine you just have to make sure you don't exceed the watts. Look on your appliances and it will tell you how many watts you have. I have a small travel kettle that is only 750 watts so that's fine luckily you only have one socket some normal kettles can be 3kw which
Will trip the site mains. Hope this helps :thumb

We only ever choose 5A in France and and have never had it trip, that's using an electric kettle with the fridge on etc... if for some reason it does trip you can just upgrade there and then and they will then come and change the circuit breaker for you and you pay the extra.

Ah ok thanks for that. :thanks
We'll only be using a travel kettle and possibly a small hairdryer (not me!)
Will check the wattages.

I have SO many questions about going abroad next week - having never done it before it seems a bit daunting.
Maybe i should start a thread for them all, i suspect everybody may get tired of the endless questions though :doh

Just think of taking the Cali abroad like this.......less rules and regs, not so many people telling what you can and cannot do......oh and less parking regs and charges.......bliss......

You're right. Euro camping is simples and a very pleasant experience. And we're moving back into low season now, so cheaper sites with the ACSI card.

Back