Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hob burner pan stands chrome bubbling

Califan61

Califan61

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Hi all, a quick question.

I expect the chrome pan stands around the burners to tarnish in the heat but is it normal on first use for the chrome to bubble up? Had plenty of other camping stoves and never seen this before but can't remember if they were chrome.

So before I attempt to clean them or get VW to replace is this normal?

20240323_135756.jpg

20240323_135716.jpg

20240323_135622.jpg

20240323_135709.jpg

that doesn't look normal. My van is nearly 9 years old and although there is blueing/discolouration there is no bubbling like in your pic.
Thanks, doesn’t look normal to me either, I wonder if it is down to cost savings in newer models! Be good to have input from other 6.1 owners to confirm.

This is ours admittedly only used 3 times on a Sept 23 van

PXL_20240323_171908485.jpg

PXL_20240323_171835046.MP.jpg

i think the part is the same across all the vans from T5 to T6.1. Would be interesting to see if other 6.1 owners have this issue.

Not normal. Get it replaced by your dealer under warranty.

You can prize the pot stands out. Ease them up gently and evenly. Try cleaning one spoke with wire wool. Doesn't look normal to me either though. Mines 8 yr old and never done that. Wonder if its some sort of coating ? What does the bottom of the pan look like?

Also, what kind of pans are you using?

I'm sure these are stainless steel so can't blister, looks more like the pan has melted onto the pot stands, are your pans aluminium?

I'm sure these are stainless steel so can't blister, looks more like the pan has melted onto the pot stands, are your pans aluminium?
kinda where I was going with it hence the question

I expect the chrome pan stands around the burners to tarnish in the heat but is it normal on first use for the chrome to bubble up? Had plenty of other camping stoves and never seen this before but can't remember if they were chrome.

View attachment 120752

View attachment 120755

View attachment 120757

View attachment 120758
They are not Chromed but Stainless steel.

Ours have bubbled too on a MY24 Ocean. I can’t believe this isn’t effecting all more recent models. It’s nothing at all to do with the cookware. I was surprised by how hot the frames become on full heat, glowing red hot. I’m sure a metalurgist would instantly recognise the issue. Although tbh as it doesn’t effect the function at all I’m not too worried about it.

Ours have bubbled too on a MY24 Ocean. I can’t believe this isn’t effecting all more recent models. It’s nothing at all to do with the cookware. I was surprised by how hot the frames become on full heat, glowing red hot. I’m sure a metalurgist would instantly recognise the issue. Although tbh as it doesn’t effect the function at all I’m not too worried about it.
Its common for supports on all gas stoves to become glowing red hot under use and shouldn't adverseley effect the function. I've certainly never seen bubbling of this type, even on a 15 quid backpacking stove.

Its common for supports on all gas stoves to become glowing red hot under use and shouldn't adverseley effect the function. I've certainly never seen bubbling of this type, even on a 15 quid backpacking stove.
I agree, I have used many different camping products and never seen this.

Just to add a photo of our pan support. I took a read of the Dometic instructions that accompanied the hob - no mention of any measures to avoid the ‘damage’ that is evident. It very much looks to me as though there is some form of coating as rubbed one ‘bubble’ with my thumbnail which just revealed a dull grey surface underneath.

IMG_7290.jpeg

View attachment 120752

View attachment 120755

View attachment 120757

View attachment 120758

Ours never done that. Get some Oven Pride, which is Caustic Soda.
Pull out the stands and follow the instructions.
Basically you soak them overnight in a thick plastic bag which comes with the pack.
They will come up gleaming, but just be careful, caustic is nasty stuff.

Maybe in the past that was correct, but stainless would not bubble like this. It doesn’t detract from the functionality but is pretty poor for a brand new vehicle.
Somehow I do not think the hob manufacturer would go to the added expense of chromium plating the pan supports.

They are definitely stainless steel. We’ve been using Oven Pride on our oven shelves for as long as I can remember, works a treat.
But on stainless motorbike exhausts, which are 304 stainless and go brown, Harpic Powerplus 10x works great. It’s weak hydrochloric acid.
Or just a polish up with Solvol will probably work. Or grab that one before it’s gone.

A651E2D6-4154-4CFF-9582-70648023CC70.png

Last edited:
I’m as certain as I can be that the bubbling is a coating (or surface effect) that is blistering due to the high temperature. There’s no way that a polish up will restore the finish, if you look at the photo closely the evidence is quite easy to see that the surface is no longer smooth but pot-marked by raised bubbles of whatever the material is. While I hadn’t been too fussed, I think I’ll drop VW a line and see what they say as I’m sure this issue must be detracting from the appearance of all recent Cali hobs - at least those regularly used.

I’m as certain as I can be that the bubbling is a coating (or surface effect) that is blistering due to the high temperature. There’s no way that a polish up will restore the finish, if you look at the photo closely the evidence is quite easy to see that the surface is no longer smooth but pot-marked by raised bubbles of whatever the material is. While I hadn’t been too fussed, I think I’ll drop VW a line and see what they say as I’m sure this issue must be detracting from the appearance of all recent Cali hobs - at least those regularly used.

Hmm, certainly strange that two of you have the same complaint on new vans. Here’s ours after 2.5 years. We’re on third bottle of gas so it’s had a decent amount of use.

F4138CAC-B298-44F9-A721-911FCA41EBFE.jpeg

I used to own a boat thats hob did the same and whilst it might seem trivial, after time the bubbling bits fall off and we had a constant black dust falling onto the surface below. Really annoying and unsightly so I'd definitely take issue.

This is after a 5 minute polish with Solvol Autosol, which is a bit disappointing to be honest , lot better than it was though. The next time the oven shelves need doing, I’ll put them in the bag as well just out of interest.

75ABD059-CD4D-4EAD-9C57-DD3D22A77EED.jpeg