teeboy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Help - I have found two possible Vans, both around the same Price:

180 DSG - 4 Months Old Ex Demo - 3000 Miles

v's

140 Manual - Brand New

Both very similar spec (each has their own pro's and con's).

Originally we were looking for a 140, but now we know we can get a 180....

So what is better 180DSG or Brand New????

Tony :help

P.S. On the plus side I would be happy in either!!!

The 180 definately, but check it over thoroughly first & get them to sort out anything you are not happy with. Either way download the handover checklist for reference when you collect the van.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2

Looks like everyone values the 180 DSG over the new car thing then....

Drifting towards the Ex-Demo - last problem is that it is out on demo so I can't look at it, I can place a deposit which is refundable if I am not totally happy, but by then the other one might have gone.....

This is worse than buying a house.

Thanks for the feedback

Tony

teeboy said:
Looks like everyone values the 180 DSG over the new car thing then....

Drifting towards the Ex-Demo - last problem is that it is out on demo so I can't look at it, I can place a deposit which is refundable if I am not totally happy, but by then the other one might have gone.....

This is worse than buying a house.

Thanks for the feedback

Tony
Sounds like the dealers got you on the hook! Keep calm and make sure the price is fair. As long as the deposit is truly refundable under all circumstances (not just transferable) go for it. At least you'll be able to sleep then!

Another vote for the 180 dsg here!
We bought our cali as an ex demo and got a great deal so play hard ball with the dealer.
Good luck!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Cheers - pretty happy with the deal so far - I am just negotiating on diesel and a free first service :)

I have a 140 Beach, it's only got a few hundred miles on her. However so far a little disappointed with the performance of this engine.
Really hoping it will loosen up with mileage and become more lively. If not its getting part ex d in 3 years.

It's great round town, but find its lacking on the motorway. Just dosent seem to have the oomph of my old 2.5tdi 130bhp van :headbang

Just a couple of things to perhaps bring some cold light on the discussion.

There are benefits to buying new.

1. The obvious - You'll be the first owner.
2. Depending how old the ex demo will need taxing at the end of the first year.
3. Insurance - Many insurers offer new for old if a Total Loss in the first 1or 2 years if you are the first registered keeper.
4. Finance - Depends on your situation if finance is required but you'll get a better rate on a new van.
5. As the new/first keeper you would have the option to buy a VW extended warranty. (Wish I had done!!)
6. Not sure if it's still the case but I bought my van on Solutions to qualify for a free service plan and then settled the account with the first payment.
7. It's not new!!

Be very, very careful on price. As eluded to above the dealer will smell your enthusiasm a mile off and keep the price buoyant.

Speak to some other dealers - Perhaps SMG - as there may well be a new 180 DSG available from stock.

Without wishing to sound rude I'm not sure how savvy you are with current new car buying (or selling tactics) but be very wary of the dealers offering additional insurance such as GAP, Lifeshine/Supagard, Tyre, Alloy Wheel etc. It's a massive revenue generator and there are other options that will save you big.

I posted some info in the VIP section here

Hi Stu

Don't panic I won't be getting Gap insurance or lifeshine .

And on the other bits, looking at New and nearly new prices the first owner premiums is around 2 grand.

I am funding this on a mortgage so only 2.99%

In the past I have done fixed price servicing, but that is simply spreading the same

Thanks

Tony

I've got a 140 and I'm happy with the performance of the engine. I take the points about the DSG being easier to drive and potential resale value. Both valid.

I do wonder however whether you are being offered the 140 at full dealer price or at a discount? If you are being offered the 180 at a discount and the 140 at full price then I suspect you could get a better price on the 140 elsewhere, although you are looking to buy at the wrong time of year in a sense. We bought a 140 from VW Parkway around this time last year (pre-registered) and got a substantial discount on new price.

If they're both discounted but the price cut on the 180 is bigger than that might be the way to go.

Yeah the discount (from list) on the 180 is bigger than the 140, but the difference is the 180 is "used". The 140 price is slightly less than I have been quoted by DrivetheDeal so I think that is fair also.

I will share the full numbers when I am done :)

Tony

Just to compare UK and France : how much of a discount is considered "fair" if you buy a new Cali from a VW dealer ?

Due to the massive amount of options, the best thing to do is to look at a website like DrivetheDeal, and specify up a California that you would like with all the options you like and they will give you a good price (you have to enter an email address and phone number - but I have not been spammed!)

Then most VW dealers will um and arr and then match that price, so for a ÂŁ47.5k van for around ÂŁ43k

Then you are in the territory of Servicing, Diesel and other bits and pieces.

That is how I am finding the market at the moment - I have lost out on a couple of good pre-registered deals recently so I suggest that now is not the best time to be buying!!!

If you can wait it might be better to wait until Autumn or Winter....

If you do want a brand new van with your exact spec then the wait is about 12-14 weeks at the moment

T

What's interesting is we have another thread that basically asks, what's better, 140 or 180? By and large most people offer a balanced view and don't commit.

You've said, well I have a chance to own a 140 or 180 with little price difference and people have said, take the 180! I guess everything is in the wording.

I think Stu's advice re new vehicle is good. Barring any probs it would be the 180 dsg for me.

James

I think I might have reserved the 180 DSG 62 plate :bananadance

Great news I will look out for you :thumb

Cheers Kev - I will try to pop down before I collect it so you can give me some collection tips. Now I am a nearly owner I will join the VIP section so I can use the funcy collection guide.

T

Back