Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Has VW forgotten something?

Docmark

Docmark

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
My '17 Beach has daylight running lights - at the front!...... but is very dark behind - with nothing glowing/showing in the lighting clusters at the back (unless I brake or turn on the lights for night-time.
My volvo has lights on each corner when I drive along - day or night. Most other vehicles with day-time-running lights show both front and rear lights........so why has VW forgotten to connect my tail-lights? I feel deprived!
Is this a fault, or alternatively can they be programmed back on? I feel somewhat invisible from behind.

My '17 Beach has daylight running lights - at the front!...... but is very dark behind - with nothing glowing/showing in the lighting clusters at the back (unless I brake or turn on the lights for night-time.
My volvo has lights on each corner when I drive along - day or night. Most other vehicles with day-time-running lights show both front and rear lights........so why has VW forgotten to connect my tail-lights? I feel deprived!
Is this a fault, or alternatively can they be programmed back on? I feel somewhat invisible from behind.
That is correct. Day Light Running lights are Front Only. Switched on when Ignition On.
Sidelights/Parking Lights are Front and Rear.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daytime_running_lamp

Thank you - I understand I am not alone now - however whilst it may be normal - it is illogical! (IMHO)
In all seriousness you don’t need rear DRLs unless you drive around in reverse as they are just there to warn oncoming or overtakers and those pulling out.
There is some vcds programming options to turn on the rears though.

Thank you - I understand I am not alone now - however whilst it may be normal - it is illogical! (IMHO)
Not really. Having a red Light at the rear, during daylight can be misinterpreted.

My 2015 Beach has Auto-head lights and front and rear lights are on constantly when switct is set to Auto.

My 2015 Beach has Auto-head lights and front and rear lights are on constantly when switct is set to Auto.
Interesting. I would say that is a fault rather than a feature.

What i meant to say was when the light switch is set to Auto i have DRLs on at the front and rear lights illuminated and head lights off unless the light levels drop.

In all seriousness you don’t need rear DRLs unless you drive around in reverse as they are just there to warn oncoming or overtakers and those pulling out.
....and including pedestrians to help them see your cali more clearly. No rears on/needed as pedestrians don't really need to know the whereabouts of you when you are going away from them.

What i meant to say was when the light switch is set to Auto i have DRLs on at the front and rear lights illuminated and head lights off unless the light levels drop.
Interesting. Not seen that before.

I agree. If there were rear DRLs you wouldn't have to switch your lights on when you're approaching a tunnel in daylight.

Now I’d agree but don’t forget most road users are retarded.

It never fails to amaze how people think they need their high intensity rear lights on.
They (presumably) can see the car 500 meters in the distance quite clearly yet they believe I, at 30m behind them,can’t see the rear of their car!!!

Yep, had that this morning. It is actualy an offence to have fog light in anything but low visability, 300 m I believe.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I’ve got auto lights in addition to the standard daytime lights and they are useful in gloomy or wet conditions. However in “bright” fog, if that makes sense, I have to remember to turn my headlights on manually, otherwise I’m just driving on front daytime lights. I’m not talking about thick fog where the actual fog lights are needed. It’s amazing how many cars on the motorway drive in rain/fog using only daytime lights- I’m sure that many of them think that their rear lights are on as well.

I’ve got auto lights in addition to the standard daytime lights and they are useful in gloomy or wet conditions. However in “bright” fog, if that makes sense, I have to remember to turn my headlights on manually, otherwise I’m just driving on front daytime lights. I’m not talking about thick fog where the actual fog lights are needed. It’s amazing how many cars on the motorway drive in rain/fog using only daytime lights- I’m sure that many of them think that their rear lights are on as well.
So with your Auto Lights selected, do you have the Red sidelights on at the back as well as the front DRLs as @california kid does in Post 9?

So with your Auto Lights selected, do you have the Red sidelights on at the back as well as the front DRLs as @california kid does in Post 9?
No. The auto lights, including the rear lights, only function when visibility drops below a certain level. I leave the auto light switch on permanently and, in normal conditions, that means I’m driving on daytime lights.

No. The auto lights, including the rear lights, only function when visibility drops below a certain level. I leave the auto light switch on permanently and, in normal conditions, that means I’m driving on daytime lights.
Thank you. That's what I thought happened.

Yep, had that this morning. It is actualy an offence to have fog light in anything but low visability, 300 m I believe.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Good afternoon,

I believe in Germany it is shorter distance, but the funny part is that if you turn on your fog lights there is a speed limit (I believe 50 km/h) even on the motor way. :)

So, I see drivers with full set of fog lights on driving over 120 km/h, which doesn't make sense.

Talking about fog lights. Even with heavy fog I never saw the advantage of the front fog lights. Maybe the back ones, but then it must be really bad. On modern cards the tail lights are so good, that one can see them even in bad weather conditions.

Regards,
Eberhard

Even with heavy fog I never saw the advantage of the front fog lights.
The intention is to put them on with only side lights, in the worst conditions, so that you can see the road, centerline and edges when low beam will just reflect off the fog directly back at you.
I have only ever experienced fog this bad once, and had to drive at no more than 15mph to get along the road.

Now I’d agree but don’t forget most road users are retarded.

It never fails to amaze how people think they need their high intensity rear lights on.
They (presumably) can see the car 500 meters in the distance quite clearly yet they believe I, at 30m behind them,can’t see the rear of their car!!!
I used to reckon that some drivers switch the fogs on during the first autumn fog and switch them off sometime during the next spring/summer.

The intention is to put them on with only side lights, in the worst conditions, so that you can see the road, centerline and edges when low beam will just reflect off the fog directly back at you.
I have only ever experienced fog this bad once, and had to drive at no more than 15mph to get along the road.
Recall many years ago doing just that on the A1 in freezing fog, following the verge as that's all I could see, next thing a set of Petrol pumps went by about a foot away. Definitely a white knuckle drive and urgent need for clothing change.

Back