Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Habitation check

MollieCalifornia

MollieCalifornia

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
After buying our California Ocean in March from VW dealer we wanted to have a habitation check done as unfortunately this is not something the dealership did. Delighted to find that Jerba campervans in North Berwick who generally offer a conversion service actually provide specific services for VW California's as well. While it was a bit of a trek across from the west coast, we tied it in with a night stop at Tantallon Caravan park which is about 2 miles from Jerba. After dropping the van off we cycled in to North Berwick which is a lovely spot with lots to do (beach, cafes, sea bird centre, Berwick Law etc). Collected the van at lunchtime and drove home. A fantastic friendly and professional service provided by Alan and his colleagues. I have to say that it is very reassuring to know that there is such a good resource in Scotland who are approachable and knowledgeable about VW California issues. I couldn't recommend highly enough.

Of note is that VW do not recommend that California’s have a ‘habitation’ check. Although there will of course be companies willing to offer such a service, at a significant cost of course…

Of note is that VW do not recommend that California’s have a ‘habitation’ check. Although there will of course be companies willing to offer such a service, at a significant cost of course…
Would would be their reasoning?

Would would be their reasoning?
For the same reason you don’t have one on a car or van. Motorhomes/Caravans are a different beast with regards their physical construction compared to a California.
A gas safety check if you are not comfortable in checking for gas leaks is something you could consider.

There used to be a silver sticker on the rear hatch that showed a date when a gas check was due (I believe this was applicable to Europe). Also the flexible gas hose that connects the gas cylinder should have a ”use by date” label .
I’d say the gas check was the only aspect of a habitation check that was needed and for peace of mind. I‘d be interested to know what other checks are included in a habitation check. I guess the checking for water ingress is the bulk of the work?

The habitation check on a normal motor home covers things like checking the structure for damp & rot in the timber frame, servicing the gas powered fridge & the gas heating system. None of which apply to a california.

It’s carbon monoxide from the gas fridge and gas heating in the motorhome that will kill you.

The only thing that applies on a Cali is checking the gas for the hob. You should be able to smell the gas yourself if it’s leaking, you can look at the flame produced to check it is blue rather than orange. The date check on the gas hose is a case of reading it.

Last edited:
I was talking to a dealer about a habitation survey, they told me there was a gas drop out vent under the hob, a NCC requirement which they said the California conformed to. If that is true it might explain the draft from the cupboard many describe.

I was talking to a dealer about a habitation survey, they told me there was a gas drop out vent under the hob, a NCC requirement which they said the California conformed to. If that is true it might explain the draft from the cupboard many describe.
That is complete rubbish!
The only gas dropout is in the gas bottle storage in the rear cupboard

There used to be a silver sticker on the rear hatch that showed a date when a gas check was due (I believe this was applicable to Europe). Also the flexible gas hose that connects the gas cylinder should have a ”use by date” label .
I’d say the gas check was the only aspect of a habitation check that was needed and for peace of mind. I‘d be interested to know what other checks are included in a habitation check. I guess the checking for water ingress is the bulk of the work?
This is what Jerba look at:

Ask the dealer to show you the vent ……. If he can’t then you get a free habitation check!
Did he mean the shut off tap?

That is complete rubbish!
The only gas dropout is in the gas bottle storage in the rear cupboard
Thats was my understanding from reading the forum, not seen a stripped shell to confirm that or drawings. I looked for check list of items and found one from an approved workshop which just said all gas vents clear. So i guess its down to the german relations the California conforms to.

Ask the dealer to show you the vent ……. If he can’t then you get a free habitation check!
Did he mean the shut off tap?
Definitely a drop out vent, it was in connections with another enquiry.
Do we know whats the german std requirement is?

Definitely a drop out vent, it was in connections with another enquiry.
Do we know whats the german std requirement is?
Only the NCC insist on gas drop vents, they are a good idea to allow leaking lpg a free exit at floor level to atmosphere. Don't believe any European brands put them in and not required in regulations apart from the gas locker?

Only the NCC insist on gas drop vents, they are a good idea to allow leaking lpg a free exit at floor level to atmosphere. Don't believe any European brands put them in and not required in regulations apart from the gas locker?
I agree it seems a good idea, all a balance of risk, noted there's a gas shut off for the hob which I draw from that the hob is a larger leak risk and it allows isolation in the event of a fault. I always turn off the gas in cupboard at night when on site.