Grand California - video of errors

Mr T

Mr T

Chris
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 600
Just stumbled across this you tube video designed to inform hirers of the GC600.
Apparently the the round circular thing on the near side is an external gas point.
How many other errors or poor advice can you spot?!

Remind me never to buy this GC when it’s days being hired out are over.

Just stumbled across this you tube video designed to inform hirers of the GC600.
Apparently the the round circular thing on the near side is an external gas point.
How many other errors or poor advice can you spot?!

Remind me never to buy this GC when it’s days being hired out are over.

Awning isn’t going to last long if it’s extended fully without the legs! Guess they take a big deposit for damage.

It makes my toes curl.

In the last two years we have acquired a new member into the extended family. He's a gentleman farmer, and through lockdown acquired three Elddis auto quests and now into the motorhome rental business.

Bloody great 6.4m long things powered by a 140ps engine on summer tyres and "they", him and my niece, are picking my brains about the NC500 which they are heading off to end of the month.

Every question I ask, from "water tank and waste tank capacity, number of leisure batteries, tyres, wheels, where are you going to camp etc..." have been met with "dunno". Good luck on Bealach na ba.

Love the fully extended awning, hopefully no stress crazing in the fibreglass roof.

More substantial awnings that are fixed a lot higher on motorhomes and the Grand Cali for example don't need the legs dropping down within 0.5m of opening like the Cali one. Who could reach that high?
The lady in the video is doing exactly what VW say to do.

More substantial awnings that are fixed a lot higher on motorhomes and the Grand Cali for example don't need the legs dropping down within 0.5m of opening like the Cali one. Who could reach that high?
I stand corrected! But I would still be concerned about the leverage on the roof. It would be interesting to see how the awning is fixed and braced onto the roof.

Gave up watching after 43 seconds after being introduced to a “VW California….Grand” and then being told all about how to use a handbrake :rolleyes:

Gave up watching after 43 seconds after being introduced to a “VW California….Grand” and then being told all about how to use a handbrake :rolleyes:
Maybe you missed the point that the handbrake can be lowered down out of the way (whilst still on) to make spinning the seats easier. Can’t do that in an Ocean for example, you have to release the handbrake to spin the drivers seat.

Here’s Thule’s take on it

Maybe you missed the point that the handbrake can be lowered down out of the way (whilst still on) to make spinning the seats easier. Can’t do that in an Ocean for example, you have to release the handbrake to spin the drivers seat.
I did miss that, sorry! I went into it pessimistically after reading your first post about errors and poor advice. I’ll watch it all again now then….

Apart from the "external Gas point" I couldn't see a lot wrong with that.
Not sure the rear cupboard is the right place to keep the fire extinguisher & blanket though.

Apart from the "external Gas point" I couldn't see a lot wrong with that.
Not sure the rear cupboard is the right place to keep the fire extinguisher & blanket though.
Andy, bet you don't roll your awning out full length without the support legs in place first.

If I had a GC I would have to, I cant reach that far up to undo them much earlier. As others have said its what's in the VW instructions. Also the bigger awnings (having had them on other coachbuilts) are far more robustly built than the California ones so I don't see a problem with it.

The Thule video looks to be more one of the lightweight awnings.

If I had a GC I would have to, I cant reach that far up to undo them much earlier. As others have said its what's in the VW instructions. Also the bigger awnings (having had them on other coachbuilts) are far more robustly built than the California ones so I don't see a problem with it.

The Thule video looks to be more one of the lightweight awnings.
Hi Andy, I’m 5.7” and I’m sure if you saw it and it was your own van you would do as I do, stand on a hop up stall to let the legs down. After all it’s only a fibreglass roof.

I've had a 5m long awning on a coach built where the whole van was just fibreglass with a few timber studs, that had a bit of 48x48 timber as a spreader behind the upper lockers to hold the awning. I would hope VW have put some reinforcement in there.

If Vw say I don't need to do it , I wouldn't be bothered.

Back