Front springs 'shifting'

flying banana

flying banana

T6 Ocean 204ps manual
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Done alot of driving some harsh roads last couple of weeks in the lakes. Over hardknott 4 times etc. Every now and then getting a solid bang rhs wheel. Been under and all looks good. One time it went with distinct twang pointing to me the spring is moving. Then drove 30 or so miles on 'normal 'roads and silence. Rhs still quiet on hard knott today then bang,twang,lhs doing the same thing. And now silent again. Anyone else had this? Apart from 2 new front springs I can't think of anything else it could be. All tie rods track arms and anti roll bar seem solid. Got 41 k on it. Already changed rear springs. After fighting with my bmw suspension for a fortnight and injuring myself I can't face changing them myself this time.

Shocks rather than springs?
I just don't know mate. Sounded like springs to me with the twang noise at the end. Could have been bottoming out a bit at times. Just sounds like the springs are moving on their rubber mounts?

Strut top mount went on mine , used to knock on rough road surface. Apparently older (T5.1) mounts were prone to fail, so possibly early T6 had same part.

Just did my front drivers side spring - actually had snapped (on way to MOT so it failed). When I say just did it, I mean local garage. Wouldn’t want to be near a spring when compressed!

Just did my front drivers side spring - actually had snapped (on way to MOT so it failed). When I say just did it, I mean local garage. Wouldn’t want to be near a spring when compressed!
I've been there done that mate. They are a nightmare. With a proper hydro jig,easy. That top mount may be a good call, but still the spring will be unleashed changing that. Yes early 2016 t6

Strut top mount went on mine , used to knock on rough road surface. Apparently older (T5.1) mounts were prone to fail, so possibly early T6 had same part.
Quite a loud knock at times, and can feel it under the floor.

Great description. Mine feels and sounds more like a rock hitting the wheel arch
I know you said the drop link roll bar etc are ok , but give them another proper check, failed / moving drop link / anti roll bar, bushes etc can sound like the wheel is hitting something very solid and comming through the floor, if there is any movement in the anti roll bar etc the suspension will be moving as well !

edit, Hardknott pass, not for the faint hearted :oops:

I know you said the drop link roll bar etc are ok , but give them another proper check, failed / moving drop link / anti roll bar, bushes etc can sound like the wheel is hitting something very solid and comming through the floor, if there is any movement in the anti roll bar etc the suspension will be moving as well !

edit, Hardknott pass, not for the faint hearted :oops:
Thanks for that. I'm going to have a good look at home. Get the crow bar in there. Been driving hard knott and wrynose now many many times, it's quicker to get over to langdale from eskdale. I still think it's the sodding springs

Top mounts, mine used to knock but could initially only be heard on uneven ground when moving with lots of steering lock, like youd get on steep hairpin bends. The strut basically shifts in the sloppy top mount and the knock noise has a twang as it ends.

Similar knocking on mine turned out to be the drop link rubbers had failed. As it got worse I could provoke the knock by sawing at the steering.

Top mounts, mine used to knock but could initially only be heard on uneven ground when moving with lots of steering lock, like youd get on steep hairpin bends. The strut basically shifts in the sloppy top mount and the knock noise has a twang as it ends.
Thats the one.bang twaaang, Its all quiet again now.

Drivers side spring on mine sounded and felt exactly like that when it broke.
I'll investigate more at home. Cheers. Initial inspection it looks ok

Agreed, sounds like a top mount bearing to me. When they go they don't allow the suspension to twist freely, so it sometimes will "twang" into place

Agreed, sounds like a top mount bearing to me. When they go they don't allow the suspension to twist freely, so it sometimes will "twang" into place
Sounds like I need 2 new ones. I'll probably do the springs too. Is it worth doing the dampers aswell? I won't be doing it.had a right palaver doing my own car

I had that ’twang‘ from front near side a few times at about 20,000 mls. Everything looked fine so I lived with it and it went after a few months. I have changed the shocks since to Koni Active. I also have a BMW (3 series ‘04) and changing the shocks on the VW was very similar except everything was a bit heavier. I too thought the springs would be harder to compress, but they were actually no different.

Sounds like I need 2 new ones. I'll probably do the springs too. Is it worth doing the dampers aswell? I won't be doing it.had a right palaver doing my own car
Sorry I missed your reply! If it's the top mount, the springs might be fine (I suppose in theory they could be damaged by the torsion of a failed top mount). The top mount is just a bearing at the top of the suspension system to allow everything to turn as the steering works. If the springs are knackered, it's worth changing the shocks at the same time generally as unless there was premature failure (e.g. 5k miles) then it's likely whatever conditions have traumatised the springs will probably have had a similar effect on the shocks.

Sorry I missed your reply! If it's the top mount, the springs might be fine (I suppose in theory they could be damaged by the torsion of a failed top mount). The top mount is just a bearing at the top of the suspension system to allow everything to turn as the steering works. If the springs are knackered, it's worth changing the shocks at the same time generally as unless there was premature failure (e.g. 5k miles) then it's likely whatever conditions have traumatised the springs will probably have had a similar effect on the shocks.
My thoughts too..although it's all quiet again now but back on 'normal ' roads

My thoughts too..although it's all quiet again now but back on 'normal ' roads
Top mount issues are most noticeable at slow speeds when turning the steering fairly quickly, e.g. parking, tight roundabouts/junctions etc.. - have a look in the wheelarch and check the spring isn't broken though.

Back