Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Front left side is leaking (door or roof)

Thank you! I will give it a go after I do several water tests with garage’s sealant fix.

Do you know anything about roof corrosion? What this could be and what issues this could cause.

I’m just trying to trace this leakage. It’s coming from different location now. However, the car is parked on the slope, front left at the lowest point and is difficult to say where the water is coming from.

I’m thinking about removing a headliner to see what’s happening there. Any instructions how to remove it next to the control unit and around the sliding panel above the head?

Thanks, Jev

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sika flex or CT1 would sort that.

Thank you! I will give it a go after I do several water tests with garage’s sealant fix.

Do you know anything about roof corrosion? What this could be and what issues this could cause.

I’m just trying to trace this leakage. It’s coming from different location now. However, the car is parked on the slope, front left at the lowest point and is difficult to say where the water is coming from.

I’m thinking about removing a headliner to see what’s happening there. Any instructions how to remove it next to the control unit and around the sliding panel above the head?

Thanks, Jev

you might be right in that headlining removal is a good call at this point. I wonder whether those rubber grommets are intended to be bonded in place permanantly & yours has now been disturbed.
might they be fitted at factory and then bonded in place internally to guarantee a 100% seal? Once disturbed it might just need bonding back carefully.

I’m just along the coast from you. Happy to drop by and give it a look if you like. I’ll message you.

Last edited:
you might be right in that headlining removal is a good call at this point. I wonder whether those rubber grommets are intended to be bonded in place permanantly & yours has now been disturbed.
might they be fitted at factory and then bonded in place internally to guarantee a 100% seal? Once disturbed it might just need bonding back carefully.

I’m just along the coast from you. Happy to drop by and give it a look if you like. I’ll message you. Edit.. looks like I can’t, email me at
a 372 at hot mail co uk

I’ve just sent you an email

I recently removed a roof rack from my Golf after several years. It was bolted securely with rubber bushes protecting the bodywork. Only that’s not what had happened. Under the rubber the paint was worn through and even the steel seemed worn down. The rubber protection had actually damaged the roof. Perhaps that’s what happened to your roof? The constant flexing over many years maybe worn a hole? Perhaps aluminium is softer than steel. It might not be corrosion.

Thanks, Jev

Hi, Any update on a fix?

Hey! I'm new here.
Just got our van (T5, 2.0 TDI, 2012) recently and when cleaning it with pressure washer I noticed both A pillars and the area around the grab handles inside the van got wet. It hasn't rained heavily since we got the van, but I suspect the problem is related to the angle and pressure of the pressure washer.

After reading this thread I check both front drain holes and the water runs down beautifully over the front tires. Rubber parts seem to be in working condition.

I did notice a gap between the part that is about the windshield and the chassi (?). I borrowed mr_waxdope_noodle's photo to demonstrate. There's a gap (I can push from the top to eliminate it) on both sides, but not in the middle.

I suspect that's where the water came in. I put some tape for now but thinking of sealing it either with Sika or epoxy.

Anyone else had this issue? Any recommendations?

Cheers

520d70bccb8973887f4fdb041faaccda.jpg

Hey! I'm new here.
Just got our van (T5, 2.0 TDI, 2012) recently and when cleaning it with pressure washer I noticed both A pillars and the area around the grab handles inside the van got wet. It hasn't rained heavily since we got the van, but I suspect the problem is related to the angle and pressure of the pressure washer.

After reading this thread I check both front drain holes and the water runs down beautifully over the front tires. Rubber parts seem to be in working condition.

I did notice a gap between the part that is about the windshield and the chassi (?). I borrowed mr_waxdope_noodle's photo to demonstrate. There's a gap (I can push from the top to eliminate it) on both sides, but not in the middle.

I suspect that's where the water came in. I put some tape for now but thinking of sealing it either with Sika or epoxy.

Anyone else had this issue? Any recommendations?

Cheers

View attachment 120880
Has the vehicle had the VW repair for the problem of galvanic corrosion affecting the roof cap above the windscreen? This involved sticking a plastic colour coded cap over the metal, after removing and treating the corrosion. There have been many reports of these caps coming loose and leaking.

Has the vehicle had the VW repair for the problem of galvanic corrosion affecting the roof cap above the windscreen? This involved sticking a plastic colour coded cap over the metal, after removing and treating the corrosion. There have been many reports of these caps coming loose and leaking.

Hey WelshGas, thanks for the reply. I wish I knew about this issue before dropping 35k+ on a T5. Now I'm semi freaking out. I've attached some photos, what's your take on this? At least I don't see any corrosion on neither side of the roof cap. Thanks again

PXL_20240326_061223409.MP.jpg

PXL_20240326_061525380.MP.jpg

PXL_20240326_061605301.MP.jpg

PXL_20240326_061514195.MP.jpg

PXL_20240326_061415169.MP.jpg

PXL_20240326_061238266.MP.jpg

Hey WelshGas, thanks for the reply. I wish I knew about this issue before dropping 35k+ on a T5. Now I'm semi freaking out. I've attached some photos, what's your take on this? At least I don't see any corrosion on neither side of the roof cap. Thanks again

View attachment 120904

View attachment 120905

View attachment 120906

View attachment 120907

View attachment 120908

View attachment 120909
Maybe very carefully clean it with toothbrush and cloths then seal as you suggested. It does look like a plastic cap. It does look in ok condition.

No more pressure washing and you could be fine.

Get it cleaned up properly avoiding water entering the gaps where possible , degrease and re seal.

have a look at Sika products there is a large range of sealant / adhesive specifically for motor home / caravan / outside application.
to allow you to get the best finish possible on the new sealant , you could try this type of tool(s) they work really well in smoothing and pressing sealant into the crevices, they remove excess material as you use them.
there are videos online that will assist in the correct use of the tools.
the image is from screwfix

IMG_0658.jpeg

View attachment 120904

View attachment 120905

View attachment 120906

View attachment 120907

View attachment 120908

View attachment 120909
That is the plastic cap. Underneath is the original structural aluminium alloy roof cap. Galvanic corrosion is cosmetic not structural.
As above detailed by @Perfectos clean and reseal.
If you want confirmation of the warranty repair then any VW commercial dealer should be able to give you a printout of the electronic service record based on the vehicle VIN.

Maybe worth considering cutting off the rubber trims at the end of the awning rail to check you dont have corrosion underneath them, the sealant between those trims and the plastic cap looks like stevie wonder applied it and suggests either they weren't removed before the cap was fitted (stupid move) or someone is looking to hide something. Clean all old sealant off, knife or toffee wheel, ipa wipe down and reseal. UV stable sika, maybe with adhesion promoter. Wipe down with tool/finger wet with meths gets a good finish but not too much else you compromise the adhesion.

Would this be a good option?

View attachment 120926
That should be fine just make sure you read the product data sheet for application and cleaning off as Sikaflex can be a pain to use, worth masking up surrounding areas and getting a set of silicone spreaders for a neat job.

When I was searching for my roof leak I managed to drop the roof liner in one corner (above the sun visor and door) and get a borescope into the cavity under the cap. Might be worth having a look to confirm that the seal is the culprit.

That should be fine just make sure you read the product data sheet for application and cleaning off as Sikaflex can be a pain to use, worth masking up surrounding areas and getting a set of silicone spreaders for a neat job.

You need silkaflex remover, only works before the silkaflex has cured. Mask area well, re-stick trim with silkaflex, remove masking tape whilst it’s still wet & wipe any excess off with the silkaflex remover / kitchen roll, then you can right up to the edge.

Once it’s dry, it’s too late..!

Back