Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

fridge

M

MrsDarcy

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi
Are you able to keep the fridge on whilst driving? And is it ok to leave the gas on whilst driving? (Not actually lit on the cooler obviously)
Sorry if these are silly questions.

MrsD x

Strap in for at least 500 answers on yes for gas on and 500 for gas off. :pinkbanana

Oh and yes, fridge on whilst driving is fine.

I will get I first with “no” for gas!
Fridge on!
;)

Haha here we go then, I do love this forum

Fridge on, of course; that's what it was made for.

As for the gas, you'll find lengthy discussions about whether or not it's a true hazard in case of an accident, for you or first responders. (Or while sleeping in the van). Although I hope and think most people agree that its important to turn it off at the tank before driving off. We also turn it off at the tank when we go to bed. We sleep better that way, but we forget sometimes and sleep just as nice ;-)

RTFM.

I believe it is stated in the FM that the gas has to be off while driving.
Fridge doesn't matter as it's a compressor fridge on electricity.
Same for air heater, no problem driving around with it on.

Fridge on definatly, Gas on all the time while camping, after all you don’t turn your gas off at the metre at home while asleep or out for the day,It’s good practice to turn the bottle off while driving but if I forget I wouldn’t stop deliberately to turn it off, I would wait until I stopped for a brew, then I would need it on again,

Looks like the “you’ll die a horrible death in a huge fireball if you even start the van with the gas on” brigade are winning so far.

Sorry sorry if I’ve opened a can of worms, newbie here x

Hi
Are you able to keep the fridge on whilst driving? And is it ok to leave the gas on whilst driving? (Not actually lit on the cooler obviously)
Sorry if these are silly questions.

MrsD x
Not sure if you realise, the fridge operates on 12v power only unlike most motorhomes. The gas is only used for the hob.
There is sufficient battery to keep the fridge going for 3 or 4 days when parked, the engine tops those batteries up when driving and when on 240v hook up so can be used indefinitely in that situation.

Both on are fine. I never turn either off when driving. I also don't have a fire extinguisher. No carbon monoxide alarm. No spare gas bottle locker. 12 days into touring about now and gas and fridge have been on all that time. If you remember you could turn off under hob 1. If you were mr serious you could fit a crash sensor In the gas line that shuts off supply in a crash.some regulators have these built in. In my opinion don't worry about it.

Back