Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fridge door not locking

CornishPasty

CornishPasty

VIP Member
Anyone else had this problem. The fridge door came down and rested on the box, we then give it an extra push and it used to lock securely. It recently stopped catching. The door no longer locks shut. I took it to my local VW dealer, they ordered a new door which came and they fitted it. This door also does not lock shut.
Any ideas please ?o_O Is it just a slight adjustment ? Thanks

This is another known fault that I think VW should be finding a fix for, how did they leave it with you? or did they say you just have to live with it?

They have ordered another fridge door and will try this one next week. I just find it amazing that so many things on such an icon for VW, which we pay a high price to purchase , seem to be of a poor quality, are manufacturing faults which VW are reluctant to acknowledge and put right, need replacing after very little use! I think our Cali is great but I really struggle with VW.

ive had exactly this with my new cali!! went to dealer 3 times and in the end they had to replace the WHOLE kitchen unit and wardrobe section, apparent as the cupboards were leaning on the fridge and creating pressure where it wont shut, was in 2 days in sheffield and they were great, really efficient and richard the service chap there was very very good - but if it hadnt have been in warranty eeek would have been about 15000 quid i thing in labour alone as they had to remove the total innards!

We had the same problem when we picked up our van in March, it was on our 'snag list' but we used it for a week or so, making sure it was firmly closed every time and it eventually sorted itself out, now works fine

Thank you for your posts. We had no real problems until the last few weeks, having had our Cali for just coming up to two years ! The supporting arm of the door did break within weeks of picking our Cali up, but this was replaced. It will be interesting to see what the dealership do. They tried the replacement new door on another Cali at the garage and apparently it locked no problem. Makes me wonder why it didn't on ours ? and what another new door will do differently? Will update when I know.

I have same problem . 2015 Cali dsg 4 motion 6 weeks old going in for snagging next week . Fridge lid catch didn't work from new . Thought it just needed small adjustment !

You need to round the plastic closing latch on the glas lid a bit with some sandpaper , remove the sharp edge scraping sandpaper and it will close much better...
Sorry for the bad Englisch don't know a better way of translating it.

I returned to my dealer today as stated before. The fridge door was fixed within the hour ! A little tweaking apparently. The door now does as it did when we first bought our Cali. Bring the door down on to the top of the fridge, then give an extra push. The button then pushes outwards and the door becomes locked. Thankfully no replacement of the WHOLE kitchen unit and wardrobe as per Jims experience ! Thank you for your comments.

I used quite a bit of force on the fridge lid today having taken the basket out . It seems to be working now .

I would take it to your local dealers, just to get it checked out. It is designed for the basket to be inside the fridge and not to need quite a bit of force to close it. It may just need a little bit of tweaking !:thumb

I used quite a bit of force on the fridge lid today having taken the basket out . It seems to be working now .
Have you got the basket in the fridge the right way round?

Our fridge needed a very firm push to close every time for 2 years.

I just spent a couple of minutes on the catch with a thin file (like a nail file) and it now closes "normally".
Just a variation on what Hotel California said above...

uIKog7.jpg

Last edited:
Have you got the basket in the fridge the right way round?
Well, I was sceptical to be frank. Ok the sides of the basket look different so I turned it around. As suggested now the lid shuts and with a little push locks! Just off out with a nail file to free it a bit more.

Thanks everyone! :thumb

Thank you so much for the info 2CV67 and Hotel California. I have found this very helpful and hopefully it has been a help to others. That's what makes this forum what it is. :happy

Back