Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Flexible light

John

John

VIP Member
Original post raynormer

The flexible arm on the interior light has broken at the mounting plate, has anyone else had this problem or am I just unlucky. Is it a part I can order off VW and fit myself. Any advice would be appreciated.

Original post Calikev

Hi I have had no experience of the light breaking but I'm sure
I read somewhere of a replacement hopefully someone will be on here soon to help you

Original post raynormor

Thanks for your help, I am waiting to hear from VW at SMG, in the meantime I will follow the leads you have posted, not the only leads I'll be following when I dismantle it tomorrow. sorry for the pun.

Original post johntowers46

Company is Conrad electronis uk.
part number is 852797-89

john towers

Original post raynormor

Thanks John, sorry for the delay in answering but I've had a minor op and been otherwise preoccupied. I have now bought one off conrad, it cost £20 inc post and looks easy to fit. a quick look at the one I've removed and it may be repairable if i can release the adhesive and unscrew the spiral wound sleeve, so thanks again for your help. Ray

Original post brother10

I replaced mine on previous van (replacement sent under warranty). Despite great care, taping off the two wires, managed to short it and other lights out when fitting the new one. The blown fuse was red 5amp situated in the wost possible position under the passenger seat. The use of some extremely strong old English seemed to help when replacing. Just take care.

Bob

Original post raymormor

Thanks for that Bob. an isolator would have been useful. I wondered if I would find a connector when I remove the mounting plate - sound unlikely if you fused the light. They sent connector clips with the replacement so at least I won't have to strip the wires.
Cheers Ray

It has a 12v 5w bulb in it, my bulb blown and can only get a 12v 6w bulb, will this be ok to put in light and not overload the wiring ?

Doing the maths at 6W= 500mA and 5W=417mA

So a 83mA increase in current should not be a problem just keep a eye on the extra heat created by the new bulb :oops:

RGS John

Thanks John, at VW Athens right now for 2 new tyres and coolant check and anti freeze after lasts weeks breakdown. They won't do it under warranty despite my protestations, really not happy re that.

Bernd,

I always found the light a little inefficient and that it gets quite hot anyway.

I've changed mine out for a 4 LED G4 back mount. (All fits inside the original housing and still uses the twist switch) Just soldering of two wires.

Now cold and bright and very little current drain.

Rgds

Mark

Here's the difference in the light output... well worth doing. (Shown pulled down near the drivers seat for convenience)

2010 Camper Mods1-1.jpg

John said:
Original post raynormer

The flexible arm on the interior light has broken at the mounting plate

+1

VW Lancs Van Centre + Preston told me that the only previous failure was when the owner forgot to store the light when closing the roof! Definitely not the case with us - Paul was using one hand to gently adjust the light while lying in bed.

Good news is it will be replaced under guarantee.

Where did you get the bulb and what model was it? I quite fancy doing this especially as the plastic lens on my light dropped off and I can't find it anywhere.

I've also managed to knock on the light when I put it away and it heated up the bed quite nicely for an hour or so. Luckily we were raising the roof again shortly after no no harm was done.