Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First overnight stay on our new cali

18ME

18ME

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
We booked on to Lucksall campsite near Hereford last night to try out our new Cali. Most things went to plan but definitely still need to sort the cupboards despite buying loads of stuff and boxes from ikea last week.

Couple of questions, is there a knack to closing the shutter to the pop top once the top goes down? It seems so difficult to tuck the fabric out the way in order to close the shutter. Also on the subject of the pop top, it rained through the night and had to close it down wet, so do you put it up once you get home to dry it out?

It was also the first time using a Cadac Safari Chef, which is the high pressure version with the C500 canisters. Reading the instructions it says it should work straight away after screwing the canister on. Ours didn’t, so I unscrewed and tried again but still nothing then tightened it up a bit more and nothing so tried again unscrewing then screwing backup and it did work and gas came out. Just fried off some garlic bread then turned it off by turning it right back down. I left the canister on last night but come this morning and the full canister was completely empty. There‘s no other shut off, just the knob that you turn up or down so should you remove the canister after everytime you use it?

B513B02F-4127-4608-AECB-32AFFB6E280C.jpeg

Shutter over your head. I like to fold it like army style in nice folds with the zips out the way.
Then you’ll have a nice flap left to hold up with one hand, while you close the shutter with other hand.
Practise makes perfect :thumb

Shut the roof when wet.
Then pop up when you can and leave to dry.
I’ve left 3 days down wet and no issues.
Day 4, at the weekend and popped up and dried out after 4 hours.

Shutter over your head. I like to fold it like army style in nice folds with the zips out the way.
Then you’ll have a nice flap left to hold up with one hand, while you close the shutter with other hand.
Practise makes perfect :thumb

Shut the roof when wet.
Then pop up when you can and leave to dry.
I’ve left 3 days down wet and no issues.
Day 4, at the weekend and popped up and dried out after 4 hours.
I don’t recall the one we rented last year being as difficult to close the shutter so maybe it’ll get more pliable over time, but yes more practice may help.

Rented would have been like a wizards sleeve. :D

We booked on to Lucksall campsite near Hereford last night to try out our new Cali. Most things went to plan but definitely still need to sort the cupboards despite buying loads of stuff and boxes from ikea last week.

Couple of questions, is there a knack to closing the shutter to the pop top once the top goes down? It seems so difficult to tuck the fabric out the way in order to close the shutter. Also on the subject of the pop top, it rained through the night and had to close it down wet, so do you put it up once you get home to dry it out?

It was also the first time using a Cadac Safari Chef, which is the high pressure version with the C500 canisters. Reading the instructions it says it should work straight away after screwing the canister on. Ours didn’t, so I unscrewed and tried again but still nothing then tightened it up a bit more and nothing so tried again unscrewing then screwing backup and it did work and gas came out. Just fried off some garlic bread then turned it off by turning it right back down. I left the canister on last night but come this morning and the full canister was completely empty. There‘s no other shut off, just the knob that you turn up or down so should you remove the canister after everytime you use it?

View attachment 120896
Ref the shutter. Close the roof almost, but not completely. Fold the bellows neatly into place, as already described and hold in place. Pull the shutter closed. Then finally close the roof. No shoving of bellows into place with potential damage.

Ref the shutter. Close the roof almost, but not completely. Fold the bellows neatly into place, as already described and hold in place. Pull the shutter closed. Then finally close the roof. No shoving of bellows into place with potential damage
Cheers, I’ll try this before completely closing the roof next time.

View attachment 120896
Try tightening the ring burner part as well it might be loose and causing a leak or crossed threads? I find the gas has to be tightly screwed on.

Back