Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Filling the fresh water tank .. how do you ?

2x 5 litre hydramate bags (fold flat) and the little device that slots into the filler cap - mentioned many times on the forum. For short trips we don’t normally bother and take a bottle of water instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've tried a few different ways including lengthy hose etc but not wanting to take up valuable space I tried a clear 10L collapsible water carrier which has a handle and a small funnel with a short tail pipe. I got these from TEMU.com. The carrier cost £2.47 and the funnel £1.27 and take up next to no space at all! Well worth a try. The TEMU site is superb, you could spend hours looking at the vast assortment of very inexpensive gadgets!
Stop that, please. Temu has ben proven to harvest illegal data and it's Chinese owner has had malware on it's app. More below:

To keep it clean, we add a full tube of steradent tablets. (The ones you would use to clean your false teeth). Drop 'm in the tank and add water untill its 3/4th full. Keep 'm there for 24h and drive around a bit. Drain the tank after that. Water tastes like mint for a short while. This is not something I conjured up myself. It was tested by NL's biggest camper club and proven to work well.
Better not. The tablets don't always dissolve completely, and residu may clog up and ruin your water pump. Has happened to many, including us... :stop

And don't 'top up' a not fully empty tank... Bacteria may build up when you do that. Better drain your tank, and then fill it up again, after flushing your system with the first 2-3 liters.

And then there's a big difference where you are. In countries like NL or DE tap water is usually of high quality. In countries like FR, ES, Morocco etc. not always, there you may want to refresh (incl. draining/flushing completely) more often.

I've tried a few different ways including lengthy hose etc but not wanting to take up valuable space I tried a clear 10L collapsible water carrier which has a handle and a small funnel with a short tail pipe. I got these from TEMU.com. The carrier cost £2.47 and the funnel £1.27 and take up next to no space at all! Well worth a try. The TEMU site is superb, you could spend hours looking at the vast assortment of very inexpensive gadgets!
Yeah I’m a sucker for overbuying and over complicating stuff. Buying gadgets is just too much fun ! :happy

Search on this subject and there are 8 pages of identical threads.
Could be a record on “repeat threads”?
I recon there is space in there servers to fit all 8 so it will all be ok

How do you put air in the tyres? Another 10 page answer or just use a compressor?

Hi,

Im just thinking about the best way to fill the water tank. How do you do it?

... blue hose straight in from a site tap (is 10m long enough - dont want to carry loads of awkward pipe around!),
..pour manually from a container (25 litres might take a while),
... do you use one of those custom caps with the quick release fitting?
..how about an inline filter of some sort (is it really necessary!)
.. any other tips and tricks to make life a little easier while travelling

Thanks all !

Hi,

Im just thinking about the best way to fill the water tank. How do you do it?

... blue hose straight in from a site tap (is 10m long enough - dont want to carry loads of awkward pipe around!),
..pour manually from a container (25 litres might take a while),
... do you use one of those custom caps with the quick release fitting?
..how about an inline filter of some sort (is it really necessary!)
.. any other tips and tricks to make life a little easier while travelling

Thanks all !
Hi. I don't use the water tank. Plastic supermarket bottles/containers, can refill from a tap. Fresh water, no worries about sterilusing tank, pipes etc. Adequate for normal consumption.

Depends on where you fill it up. Be careful with filling up at sites. People might (mistakenly) use the provided hose to rinse their portapotti's / chemical toilets.

We fill the tank at home, using the garden hose. There's a filler cap you can use to connect the hose to the tank's opening. At sites we usually fill it with a 1.5L plastic bottle. Which works surprisingly well. A few bottles and we're fine for quite a while. But we use the water mainly for brushing our teeth, washing hands, making tea. etc.

To keep it clean, we add a full tube of steradent tablets. (The ones you would use to clean your false teeth). Drop 'm in the tank and add water untill its 3/4th full. Keep 'm there for 24h and drive around a bit. Drain the tank after that. Water tastes like mint for a short while. This is not something I conjured up myself. It was tested by NL's biggest camper club and proven to work well.

There's also solutions where you hang a big bag of water from the van and fill the tank that way, but it always seemed like a hassle to me.
I bought a Brandrup water fill-in set from a member of the forum for £25. Excellent device and flexible enough to use at home, on site and pretty much anywhere. Fills a tank in three visits to the water source. Stores in one of the shelves accessible from the tailgate. Would recommend.

When I fill the tank I use a collapsible hose that iI use only for that purpose and add some purification chemicals. I also keep a small silver net inside the fresh water tank (on a string for easier removal) to help keep germs at bay.
https://wm-aquatec.de/en/shop/silvernet/

Use whatever is available and never worry about it. Works every time !

Stop that, please. Temu has ben proven to harvest illegal data and it's Chinese owner has had malware on it's app. More below:

I came across Temu and was very very impressed by the range and low prices on offer. An Aladdins cave! There are so many massive supply companies out there and I bet most (if not all) grossly exploit suppliers and manufacturers alike.
I looked into your "links" and sure enough there is a lot that would concern the innocent shopper. I will give Temu a wide berth from now on but this may only lead me to another questionable mammoth organisation!

Search on this subject and there are 8 pages of identical threads.
Could be a record on “repeat threads”?
And there are thousands of 'answers' like this, which are no answers to the question at all, actually, across all of the forums... Help, and give a link to info, or just don't say anything!

I just use a normal garden hose.
Empty the tank in the winter. UK drinking water is some of the best in the world I believe.
Clean the tank every two years.

I just use a normal garden hose.
Empty the tank in the winter. UK drinking water is some of the best in the world I believe.
Clean the tank every two years.
Much as I’m loathe to add to a thread that has gone on about 20 answers more than needed the first time I filled was with a garden hose.

Water tasted like gack and had to drain and clean the tank.

After then reading up on garden hoses and chatting on here it seems their chemical make up is less than ideal for drinking, especially if there is stagnant water in it.

Have since bought a cheap food safe blue hose and fill with that now, without any further issues.

Much as I’m loathe to add to a thread that has gone on about 20 answers more than needed the first time I filled was with a garden hose.

After then reading up on garden hoses and chatting on here it seems their chemical make up is less than ideal for drinking, especially if there is stagnant water in it.

Have since bought a cheap food safe blue hose and fill with that now, without any further issues.
I use hozelock garden hose because the top spec ones are indestructible. The food grade ones are a bit of a marketing myth but are lined the same way as expensive garden hoses to stop leaching of chemicals from the compounds. If you are going to drink the water then buy a quality hose i.e stay away from the cheap soft PVC ones as they do leach into the water in hot conditions and give the water a bad taste when new, this goes over time. The food grade ones and good quality ones have dual extrusion and have a nylon or polythene inner and PVC outer. Extruded PVC used to have a lot of lead in it a long time ago, lead is now banned from virtually all plastics now so this is not an issue but the phthalates content of cheap hoses does exceed recommended levels but then how much are you going to drink?

As a comparison you will get far more lead from a brass tap fitting in the water than from your hose. The levels concerned are very small.

You just couldnt resist :D

... like everyone else who has, we just like chatting with each other about our hobby.

Nothing wrong with that :happy:happy

Back