Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Farmer’s Protests

I support them 100%
Agreed.

I thought it was worth posting in case any members were on there way there - but I also was interested in any reactions.

From what I have read on the alternative media (MSM being mainly silent) these Europe wide, and farther afield too, farmer’s protests are largely supported by ordinary folk who have picked up (perhaps faster than with Covid 1984) what governments are all about these days.

I thought it was worth posting in case any members were on there way there - but I also was interested in any reactions.
Good to know, thanks for posting. I thought these farmer‘s protests were just an EU thing. I’m heading over on the ferry to Newcastle on Monday.

Agreed.

From what I have read on the alternative media (MSM being mainly silent) these Europe wide, and farther afield too, farmer’s protests are largely supported by ordinary folk who have picked up (perhaps faster than with Covid 1984) what governments are all about these days.
Financed by the agro industry the protests are

Evidence?
Where I live ForFarmers, a agricultural company, amongst others like Trioliet, paid a 5 figure sum to Agractie (farmers in action)
If you like I have an article in which this is stated and conformed by the named companies (although it’s in Dutch)

Where I live ForFarmers, a agricultural company, amongst others like Trioliet, paid a 5 figure sum to Agractie (farmers in action)
If you like I have an article in which this is stated and conformed by the named companies (although it’s in Dutch)
i believe you. I know nothing of those companies. Are you suggesting that they have nefarious reasons to fund gullible farmers to protest - or that those agricultural companies are giving benign support to their customers in these challenging times for smaller traditional family farms?

Last edited:
i believe you. I know nothing of those companies. Are you suggesting that they have nefarious reasons to fund gullible farmers to protest - or that those agricultural companies are giving benign support to their customers in these challenging times for smaller traditional family farms?
I suggest you read up on the Agri Business sector. They supply goods and services that farmers, small or large depend on, from the seeds they plant, fertiliser, weed killers farm machinery, contract harvesting produce collection, storage , packaging, transport etc: including the fencing posts and farm gates.
Thanks to the enviromental and other lobby groups making life difficult for farmers No Farming - No Agricultural Businesses.
Agricultural Businesses account for more jobs than there are Farmers , so Yes they should be part of the process.

Regardless of what your opinions are on the protests (farmers interests) vs. the environmental issues, in the beginning of this thread both the UK and the Dutch situations are thrown in together. That will not make for a very useful discussion on the subject. Or at least a very complex one as there are a lot of very huge differences between the UK and the Netherlands when it comes to this subject.

Regardless of what your opinions are on the protests (farmers interests) vs. the environmental issues, in the beginning of this thread both the UK and the Dutch situations are thrown in together. That will not make for a very useful discussion on the subject. Or at least a very complex one as there are a lot of very huge differences between the UK and the Netherlands when it comes to this subject.
I think there are farmers protests in more countries that those two - for example I have heard (and seen footage) in alternative media of Germany, Italy & Poland. India also has protests I believe and Sri Lanka.

All probably have varying reasons and agenda's but there will doubtless be a common theme of protecting family farms from Industrial farming and land grab - whatever environmental 'gloss' and CO2/Nitrogen excuses are added.

I made the original post for two reasons, as a warning for those unaware taking the Dover crossing (so they might check things in advance of travel) and to get a feel of others' opinions, if they have them, which interests me.

The below book is quite old, but nothing has changed much. Gives you a good idea of the relationship between farmers & big industrial companies…but might put you off buying bagged salad in the supermarket!:

The below book is quite old, but nothing has changed much. Gives you a good idea of the relationship between farmers & big industrial companies…but might put you off buying bagged salad in the supermarket!:

Did you need a reason NOT to buy bagged salad?

I’m still trying to understand why we now have a glut of wheat? 18 months ago the world wheat supply was under threat due to the Ukrainian thing. What changed?

Just spotted this on another site "500 tractors and 100 buses that will paralyze Madrid on February 21st, which will start from five different autonomous regions"

I think there are farmers protests in more countries that those two - for example I have heard (and seen footage) in alternative media of Germany, Italy & Poland. India also has protests I believe and Sri Lanka.

All probably have varying reasons and agenda's but there will doubtless be a common theme of protecting family farms from Industrial farming and land grab - whatever environmental 'gloss' and CO2/Nitrogen excuses are added.

I made the original post for two reasons, as a warning for those unaware taking the Dover crossing (so they might check things in advance of travel) and to get a feel of others' opinions, if they have them, which interests me.
Yes, there are severaI countries where Farmers are protesting. Simply because the environmental situation is global and thus many countries are introducing new rules and things are changing. And I understand your interest in peoples opinions. I share this interest.

I'm just trying to point out that when people give their opinions, they should be seen in the context (at least) of the situation they are referring too. And that's going to be difficult in a thread like this. One could (just as an example) agree with the farmer's protest in the UK and at the same time not agree with the farmers protests in the Netherlands (or the other way around). Because the income of farmers, the value of agricultural land, the % of agricultural land compared to the total amount of land in the country, the % of produce for export, the size of farming businesses and their impact on the environment, jobs, etc is completely different.

So if a Dutch person, a UK person and a French person talk about farmers protest's (or farming) they all might have a completely different context in their heads in which the discussion takes place.

I’m still trying to understand why we now have a glut of wheat? 18 months ago the world wheat supply was under threat due to the Ukrainian thing. What changed?
Probably the World producers planted more but over compensated or World markets turned to alternative cereals, thus a glut. There will be a few years of variation to come until a new status quo is established.

Yes, there are severaI countries where Farmers are protesting. Simply because the environmental situation is global and thus many countries are introducing new rules and things are changing. And I understand your interest in peoples opinions. I share this interest.

I'm just trying to point out that when people give their opinions, they should be seen in the context (at least) of the situation they are referring too. And that's going to be difficult in a thread like this. One could (just as an example) agree with the farmer's protest in the UK and at the same time not agree with the farmers protests in the Netherlands (or the other way around). Because the income of farmers, the value of agricultural land, the % of agricultural land compared to the total amount of land in the country, the % of produce for export, the size of farming businesses and their impact on the environment, jobs, etc is completely different.

So if a Dutch person, a UK person and a French person talk about farmers protest's (or farming) they all might have a completely different context in their heads in which the discussion takes place.
Thank you, @ThomasHJ, for your thoughtful explanation. I am certainly taking a global (in the non-specific sense) view of all these protests, and indeed other things governments around the world are doing apparently in concert at the calling of supranational organisations. The WHO (World Health Authority) comes to mind, and the ESG (Environmental, Social and Corporate Governance) requirements being imposed worldwide on business. Perhaps simplistic, but none of this sits comfortably with me, because it is beyond my vote.

This article posted today is in the same territory.

Last edited:
The French farmers ran an imaginative protest. Yes they blockaded roads but ….. they decided to turn the street signs upside down.

Just place names, no direction or warning signs. Every time you drove past one your eye was immediately drawn, you were reminded that the farmers are unhappy.

A very good harm free campaign

My first thoughts were this is not a topic for this group... but as many people have a narrow interest around disrupted travel plans... maybe it is.

Well to add an extra and possibly inflammatory perspective... the 'B' word doesn't seem to have been raised in contributions. Whilst the context in the EU is certainly different than in the UK, the major threat faced by farmers here are not the red diesel cost or reduced nitrogen levels but the significant changes in the structure and level of subsidy paid to farmers post Brexit.

In my part of the world a significant number of local farmers supported Brexit : the post Brexit subsidy regime offered the promise of addressing the worst elements of the Common Agriculture Policy but like many other policies, has been massively mishandled by the current administration.
Only this week there were reports of the predicted outcomes the new subsidy regime for upland farmers being disastrous, yet this being held back from wider consideration due to the upcoming election.
How many farmers now must now regret being led by the right populist cheer leaders?

What do we learn from this?

Turkeys will vote for Christmas.

Financed by the agro industry the protests are

My first thoughts were this is not a topic for this group... but as many people have a narrow interest around disrupted travel plans... maybe it is.

Well to add an extra and possibly inflammatory perspective... the 'B' word doesn't seem to have been raised in contributions. Whilst the context in the EU is certainly different than in the UK, the major threat faced by farmers here are not the red diesel cost or reduced nitrogen levels but the significant changes in the structure and level of subsidy paid to farmers post Brexit.

In my part of the world a significant number of local farmers supported Brexit : the post Brexit subsidy regime offered the promise of addressing the worst elements of the Common Agriculture Policy but like many other policies, has been massively mishandled by the current administration.
Only this week there were reports of the predicted outcomes the new subsidy regime for upland farmers being disastrous, yet this being held back from wider consideration due to the upcoming election.
How many farmers now must now regret being led by the right populist cheer leaders?

What do we learn from this?

Turkeys will vote for Christmas.
whoops. Accidentally pressed the like button. Nothing wrong with brexit apart from the fact it has been completely mismanaged. Many golden oppertunities missed. Its brought the fundemental rot in westminster & whitehall to the surface. And in case you havent noticed, most europeans have got the same idea & appear to be going the same way.