Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Facebook group

Hi

There is a loose connection with thevwcalifornia site in that Facebook were going to delete the discussions section at short notice. Several users got together and decided to create this forum to keep the discussions going so we would not lose all the info and tips gained from each other.

Thanks for that. As there is a link to it from thevwcalifornia.com page people may get confused between the two. I did and have put my name down for one of their "meets" which appear independent from the "meets" being arranged here. Given the small demographic maybe there should be a tighter connection.

FB does allow for greater user profiling should people wish to be "friends"!

I tried the fb page. Had to wait far to long for a reply. I also found it difficult to find anything
I'm glad this forum is here. It feels more club like to me. Keep up the good work. Looking forward to meeting some members on here.

Thanks Nick for your kind comments.

When the club was first formed last year the feedback we received from our members was that they did not want to be a member of facebook just to access the FB forum facility, with our club you can either be an anonymous member with very few details about yourself or you can have a full profile, either way we respect our members wishes, we have even designed things this way so as minimal details are required to join in.

The forum is also much more user friendly compared to Facebook to find an answer to a problem, we also have a full search facility which was never available on FB.

As regards to making friends, since the club started we know of several members who have made some very good friends on here via meets so it is possible, also we are encouraging members to arrange their own meets, if you wish to do this please let us know and we can help you get things started as we are looking for some regional meets co-ordinator's.

Finally, the staff that run the club are very enthusiastic and you will normally always see at least one of them online keeping an eye on things, behind the scenes we have many things planned for the coming year and we would love to see you involved.

Forum team

I would just like to add, we would really like to hear your thoughts on the club, what would you like to see on here? Anything we are doing wrong? Anything you like ?

We really like to get members feedback so as we can improve the club for everyone.

Personally I feel this is the right place to be. The vwcalifornia.com site give the option of both FB or here. Perhaps the very prominent FB link should come off there and be through here.

BTW... I posted a link to here on the FB page. This forum has already been commented on positively on FB.

Yep - LEB spotted me on there!

I guess the more members the better on here. At the moment I feel I'm probably posting a little too much but with more internet saddos like me, it could be a little livelier.

Had some great advice on here already. I tend to completely immerse myself in cars I buy (not literally!) and within about a year, I know far too much about them. Am now a pretty nerdy resource for LR Defenders, 3 series BMWs, etc. Will probably be similar with Calis soon!

Always been a bit of a car freak - I grew up with a complete petrol head dad who ran all sorts of evil kit but also always had VW campers. He still has a tidy T25 with a zillion mods added.

Our little three year old is taking the mantle too - he has been able to ID any car badge (bar a few obscure ones) since he was 2ish. Same with tractors!

So while I'm asking loads of questions now, I hope to be able to "give back" soon! In the meantime I can help with any Cornwall campsite enquires!

I found the Facebook forum in the Autumn, but I couldn't join / post as I am not a regular FBer. I choose to only have a basic profile to keep in touch with immediately family when abroad.

There was lots of useful information when I was researching - however the nature of this forum is that it seems much quicker to grow and get replies.

If this club / forum keeps growing it will be a formidable repository of knowledge as well as a place to be sociable.

Thanks very much for your kind comments Skywalker, they are really appreciated and make it all worthwhile ..

In fact this thread, together with some of the proposals from FaceBook, prompted me to go and delete my account.
I now just need to wait the 14 day 'cooling off' period without accessing the site at all and then it will be gone for good.
Woo hoo

Skywalker said:
If this club / forum keeps growing it will be a formidable repository of knowledge as well as a place to be sociable.

Indeed! I cause a bit of a sh*t storm by suggesting people on FB have a look here. I found out a bit of history and have tried to see both sides and the benefits therein. This site however is so much quicker in replying. Long may it continue and develop. 10/10 to all those behind the scenes.

Thanks for your kind comments guys
We are trying our best to please our members
By the way it's you members who answer other peoples questions that keep it at the top.

Well, it is their right to do as they please........my experience was that they were all good friendly people on there, remember this forum only started because of silly FB changing their rules and we ' oldies ' wanting to ensure continuity..........

Thought the idea of this forum was to compliment the other, not get rid of it! or am I missing something

BerndRos said:
Well, it is their right to do as they please........my experience was that they were all good friendly people on there, remember this forum only started because of silly FB changing their rules and we ' oldies ' wanting to ensure continuity..........

Indeed but I do think a trick is being missed. FB doesn't allow for the ease that exists in this style of forum. It is great for networking and spreading the word but thats about it IMHO. I agree that many of the FB members are good friendly people but one or two flew off on a rather hostile tack when I pointed out this group. Admitedly I didn't fully understand the provenance but I didn't think it warrented the response that it got. Hey ho!

I'm quite sad that they have chosen this route. As Kevin says, it could have been much more complimentary.

We are surprised as everyone else is regarding this, recently we agreed to happily run alongside each other and this has come out of the blue.

How very odd.

Do you know something (and this is a complete guess) but I'm wondering if they might be a bit anti T5.1 shaped Cali on there?!

I think that is a shame. I found this forum and the Facebook page from that site. The Internet is a great pool of knowledge. In fact how did we find out about things before?