Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Engine Management System warning light!

superrach73

superrach73

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Just set off on our hols and the engine management system light is flashing. Manual says to stop and get it checked - aargh! Just got it back from Shorade after roof fix but they say they don't touch anything to do with engine management. Anyone know how serious this is? We are driving to the South of France over the next few days. Not a great start. Haven't even reached the Dover queues yet ;-)

Short answer is no, suggest you check engine oil, coolant , drive belts, any unusual sounds, rattles, smells, overheating, leaks .. you really need a scan of the engine management fault codes, so can your breakdown service provider scan the VW engine fault codes for you roadside, and advise what the code means and diagnose if you can expect to complete your holiday in your vehicle or does the fault code indicate its not drivable and need an urgent fix. ... Nearest VW van centre to your current locatuion ? On a positive note many engine fault codes are not critical to continuing your journey. Good luck.

Rob H.

Thanks Rob. Decided to play safe and stopped off at VW Van centre in Walsall. Wasn't a critical fault but as they could fix it quickly we decided to get it done. The lads at the van centre looked after us very well and we're off on the road again!

Thanks Rob. Decided to play safe and stopped off at VW Van centre in Walsall. Wasn't a critical fault but as they could fix it quickly we decided to get it done. The lads at the van centre looked after us very well and we're off on the road again!
What was it then ????

Hi Super..

Was it the brake pedal switch ?
Sometimes this plays up and sets off the engine management light and is a pretty easy fix.

For reference though. This is a great forum site for anything California and there are some really knowledgeable, kind and helpful people on here with knowledge about T5's in general but if its more T5 related than California related and you need a quick response you will find a bigger pool of knowledge for this sort of thing ( T5 specific mechanical / electrical problems etc ) on these sites http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/ or http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/

Enjoy your holiday. Hopefully it will be totally problem free but at least you have a couple of other forums you can access for general T5 advice if you have any further problems. We are heading to S France on Saturday Newhaven - Dieppe.........wahay !. Few days stops off on way through France as the impulse takes us and then onwards to edge of Spanish Border near Perpignan.

Hi, my engine light comes on and I lose power, garage told me it was the turbo but i got that fixed and it is still doing it. Could my problem also be break pedal switch?

Did the mechanic tell you what the problem was. Could be useful information for other Forum members..:thumb

Hi, my engine light comes on and I lose power, garage told me it was the turbo but i got that fixed and it is still doing it. Could my problem also be break pedal switch?

If they charged you for a turbo and it turns out to be the brake pedal switch I'd be very upset as well as being a few hundred quid out of pocket!

Back