Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Double Glazing?

chockswahay

chockswahay

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
I’m just curious, being a humble Coast owner…….

Exactly how many windows in the Ocean are double glazed and is it really true D/G or just a marketing thing?

Do they make the van any warmer and do they eliminate condensation in cold weather?

Thanks team

No condensation in winter to rear side and rear window. Have found the side windows are generally open if only partially when cooking so dont really build much condensation. 14yrs with a diy conversation all the windows were always wet with condensation so id say its a dig improvement over single glazing.
As VW sliding windows seem susceptible to leaking even when the design cost is shared over all transporter kombis be thankful they didnt try make double glazed sliders as they would probably be terrible.

As said only 3 at rear.
You lose the heated rear window as part of the double glazing option.

If applying tint to windows the rear will look slightly different to the door/cooker area ones due to the tint being further in on the double glazed units. Some don't like that but it's a personal thing.

Normal double glazing benefit.
Negative being a smashed window needs a possibly hard to get quickly replacement. Only heard of a very few smashed rear ones.

I've ordered the "Acoustic package with heated windscreen" on my new Cali Ocean. I've seen mention that the cab side windows also get double glazing with this option. Does anyone know if this is correct?

I've ordered the "Acoustic package with heated windscreen" on my new Cali Ocean. I've seen mention that the cab side windows also get double glazing with this option. Does anyone know if this is correct?
Its not double glazed in the normal sense (ie air gap between the two panes) but 2 panes of glass laminated together. Its the same with the windscreen (which has the element sandwiched between them).

Im told this adds thermal performance (im not so sure) and sound insulation.

I think it will be laminated glass in the cab doors, helps reduce noise but not double glazing.

I think its a shame with all of this added spec, that they didnt do anything with the two middle windows (over the kitchen and the sliding door), but just left them as single glazed.

Exactly how many windows in the Ocean are double glazed and is it really true D/G or just a marketing thing?

Do they make the van any warmer and do they eliminate condensation in cold weather?

Thanks team
cooler in summer, warmer in winter , quieter all year.

definitely soundproof if you sleep downstairs

Thanks team
You do have 1 double glazed window even on the Coast. It's the small one in front of the wardrobe. I find it gets only the slightest condensation while the others get noticeably more. But in reality it's probably more on an issue the more people sleep in the Cali. Just crack a window. As for sound, I'm not convinced double glazing helps much as the metal panels are not sound deadened or insulated Sound will pass through the body too. I'm a light sleeper and it's never been an issue in the Coast.

You do have 1 double glazed window even on the Coast. It's the small one in front of the wardrobe. I find it gets only the slightest condensation while the others get noticeably more. But in reality it's probably more on an issue the more people sleep in the Cali. Just crack a window. As for sound, I'm not convinced double glazing helps much as the metal panels are not sound deadened or insulated Sound will pass through the body too. I'm a light sleeper and it's never been an issue in the Coast.
Absolutely agree re sound. I’ve driven all sorts of derivations of Cali/conversions etc.

There’s so many sources of noise (it’s a builder’s van after all), that trying to dial it out is a fool’s errand.

Ditto condensation. As others have mentioned, crack a window. Decent blinds help with the windscreen. Run diesel heater low overnight when sleeping in colder weather.

From conversations with dealers, acoustic package (laminated cab windows), impact on noise is minimal.

Embrace the acoustics and rattle around at leisure!

Absolutely agree re sound. I’ve driven all sorts of derivations of Cali/conversions etc.

There’s so many sources of noise (it’s a builder’s van after all), that trying to dial it out is a fool’s errand.

Ditto condensation. As others have mentioned, crack a window. Decent blinds help with the windscreen. Run diesel heater low overnight when sleeping in colder weather.

From conversations with dealers, acoustic package (laminated cab windows), impact on noise is minimal.

Embrace the acoustics and rattle around at leisure!
The body is also a double wall with air in between, feel the difference if you open a cupboard door in winter, and even there the waste tank insulates most of the body. I love the double glazing and really believe it is an advantage.
Leaving heating on during night to remedy codensation? What about the noise of the heating (blower, fuel pump )? Ever tried to sleep near busy road or in high wind ?
No or less condensation, better noise and heat/cold insulation, I have it, I love it.It appears to become a believers/nonbelievers discussion.
Maybe because many UK cali's are ordered with sliding window in sliding door and don't have double glazing in the sliding door ?
Others mix up rattling noises during driving and noise at campsite and even then I believe passengers can appreciate the double glazing for reducing heat/cold and noise, as they don't use the blinds and want to see the scenery while travelling .
I don't always understand why people, on the one hand, want nothing more than a California, but on the other hand, take every opportunity to say that VW did not build the California properly, that options are unnecessary or made incorrectly. Aren't we a bit over-spoiled children sometimes?
I am not addressing specific individuals here, but our society as a whole.

The body is also a double wall with air in between, feel the difference if you open a cupboard door in winter, and even there the waste tank insulates most of the body. I love the double glazing and really believe it is an advantage.
Leaving heating on during night to remedy codensation? What about the noise of the heating (blower, fuel pump )? Ever tried to sleep near busy road or in high wind ?
No or less condensation, better noise and heat/cold insulation, I have it, I love it.It appears to become a believers/nonbelievers discussion.
Maybe because many UK cali's are ordered with sliding window in sliding door and don't have double glazing in the sliding door ?
Others mix up rattling noises during driving and noise at campsite and even then I believe passengers can appreciate the double glazing for reducing heat/cold and noise, as they don't use the blinds and want to see the scenery while travelling .
I don't always understand why people, on the one hand, want nothing more than a California, but on the other hand, take every opportunity to say that VW did not build the California properly, that options are unnecessary or made incorrectly. Aren't we a bit over-spoiled children sometimes?
I am not addressing specific individuals here, but our society as a whole.
So you never use your poptop?

So you never use your poptop?
On the contrary, we always sleep upstairs except in exceptional situations, but that is at most 1 or 2 nights per year. And we have never slept with the heating on, which makes little sense if you sleep upstairs. But sometimes we sleep with 3 or 4 people in the cali and the bed downstairs is also used of course.

On the contrary, we always sleep upstairs except in exceptional situations, but that is at most 1 or 2 nights per year. And we have never slept with the heating on, which makes little sense if you sleep upstairs. But sometimes we sleep with 3 or 4 people in the cali and the bed downstairs is also used of course.
So I don't really see the point of double glazing as a means of sound deadening. It's one more thing to fail, maybe difficult finding replacement glass in years to come. The real advantage is not having to wipe some condensation off them in the colder seasons. Cracking a window can help with that problem and only requires a small gap.
The sound from outside will transmit through the body panels because there is no sound insulation and the air space is not sealed.

I respect your opinion , I cannot proof mine is better with figures. As I said this ends with believers against nonbelievers . The difference is I ‘m happy about it and you seem unhappy about your purchase. And the discussion about ‘another thing that can fail’ Comes back again and again…
central locking, electric windows, cruis control, gps, electric folding and heated mirrors, rear view camera, dgs, 4 motion, fridge, waterpump, motor management, ,ABS, get rid of it all and what is left ? Less chance for failures ..in a Flinstones vehicle.

As said only 3 at rear..
It is possible to spec a van with only one sliding window. Then a 4th double glazed window becomes an option. Not seen it much on UK vans but have on the continent.

When my sliding door window started leaking I replaced it with a double glazed (non opening) panel instead. Very pleased with that decision. No leaks, no condensation!

The sound from outside will transmit through the body panels because there is no sound insulation and the air space is not sealed.
It makes a big difference - the body panels all have trim panels over them which kills a lot of sound leaving the windows as the most sound vulnerable part.

Cali has no heat / sound insulation within the body panels (unlike most converted vans). So it’s a bit like putting double glazing on a single skinned wall shed. This is why the camping heater is essential.

When the roof is up, you lose any benefit anyway.

Is the glass actually double glazed or just laminated?

Cali has no heat / sound insulation within the body panels (unlike most converted vans). So it’s a bit like putting double glazing on a single skinned wall shed. This is why the camping heater is essential.

When the roof is up, you lose any benefit anyway.

Is the glass actually double glazed or just laminated?
It's double glazed (2 panes with an air gap). Still not convinced its makes a significant enough difference sound wise given all the other weaknesses in the design. As an integrated solution with proper sound deadening, sure.

Plenty of Sound absorption/deadening in the California, unlike the Transporter.

IMG_2303.jpeg

Back