Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Does a California Ocean Have Insulation?

Bumble The Van

Bumble The Van

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Mine is just about to arrive and i suddenly realised i dont know if an ocean has any body panel insulation as standard ? Would be a help if anyone knew please?

No it doesn't but it does have double glazing instead (except for kitchen window and in the "cockpit").
All the tanks are internal though.

No it doesn't but it does have double glazing instead (except for kitchen window and in the "cockpit").
All the tanks are internal though.
Cheers Calimilli i wonder if you can have this done as an aftermarket service?

Cheers Calimilli i wonder if you can have this done as an aftermarket service?
Everything can be done but the cost and the complexity not worth it. And , as true for every van based camper, because of its metal structure , it will always have cold bridges.
What exactly is your concern?
The VW solution is in the oversized diesel heather. it's 3kw for a tiny van. It will keep you warm even if the van is poorly insulated. You will feel some cold drafts, but overall the system works.

Everything can be done but the cost and the complexity not worth it. And , as true for every van based camper, because of its metal structure , it will always have cold bridges.
What exactly is your concern?
The VW solution is in the oversized diesel heather. it's 3kw for a tiny van. It will keep you warm even if the van is poorly insulated. You will feel some cold drafts, but overall the system works.
no real concern but i just didnt know if someone could improve on the standard for a few hundred quid and it be better than the original, but no real concern , and your right if the diesel heater solves that then great , but have the solved the ticking noise yet , in my t5 it was truly annoying , but not sure if technology has changed and its quieter ;)

It is much quieter on the T6.1, you still get the fan noise but the ticking has gone

Ticking noise very low at the start only, but almost negligible.
I did invest in a quite thick cover for the front and side cockpit windows which are not thermically insulated, just acustically. Also a good carpet for the living area. Those points need addressing first, together with a Isotop or External cover , before looking at further insulation, in my opinion.

I wouldn't do any after-market insulating, its good as it is.
Insulating could cause moisture problems, convertors might
do it as a selling point but there is a reason Vw didn't do it.

Even without heating I doubt that a piece of 50mm glasswool
will keep you warmer, even the oko stuff.

It's got a big canvas roof, that alone will delete any gains you get from putting some insulation on a couple of metal panels.

If you insulate, condensation will form on the internal surface of the cold metal skin, leading eventually to corrosion, and soggy insulation. VW have this right.

Van converters use the foil faced self-adhesive type then put a 'carpet' on top. California has inner panels.

I have debated doing just the area behind the fridge as a summer heat ingress rather than a winter insulator.
The possibility of a moisture trap behind it causing corrosion has put me off doing it to date.

Our old T4 Bilbo conversion had to rockwall style insulation between all body panels. No rust issue despite being 20years old. It did not have a heater but was fine overnight for most UK winters.

I wouldn’t have a newer Cali without the camping heater, soon gets very cold in the winter without one.

If you insulate, condensation will form on the internal surface of the cold metal skin, leading eventually to corrosion, and soggy insulation. VW have this right.
Although I agree with VW in not insulating the limited panel coverage, your statement is untrue.

Modern insulation won't get damp as it's mainly plastic based thus doesn't absorb moisture. Any excess moisture on inner panels is designed to drain to the bottom and out if the designated drain holes. If it didn't ALL vans would rot from the inside out....and they don't.

Although I agree with VW in not insulating the limited panel coverage, your statement is untrue.

Modern insulation won't get damp as it's mainly plastic based thus doesn't absorb moisture. Any excess moisture on inner panels is designed to drain to the bottom and out if the designated drain holes. If it didn't ALL vans would rot from the inside out....and they don't.
Modern insulation can be hydrophobic, but by definition the exterior surface is still cold, and condensation occurs. Interstitially in ‘wools’. Rigid insulations squeak. Doors have drain holes, but not usually internal panels. And drain holes, and Fiats, well…

Back