Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Do you use your inverter socket at all?

The OP has a T5. Different socket to the T6.1.
Aaaah right - I'm not so clued up on the T5.
Out of curiosity, what prompted VW to change to the 3 pin UK socket on subsequent variants?

T6 never use. I think it would be useful for those need to keep laptops going eg those who use the van as an offline home office. No need to worry about the 'impure' sinewave output as chargers supplied with laptops will have electronic filters to deal with less than perfect inputs. Cheap electronic equipment not so. Also converting 12v dc to 220v ac is very inefficient so use the inverter sparingly if off grid.

We use it for charging bike batteries and rechargeable hair straighteners. Not seen any negative effect in two years of use. Interestingly as someone else said it doesn't work with mains power insect repellents.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I use the inverter socket for my Coffee grinder. All my other equipments are charge via either the usb or 12v sockets, as I find the 230V outlet a bit out of reach.

Only used it to charge the battery for my Gardena medium pressure washer (great for cleaning the bikes). For my laptop I have a Satechi USB-C 72 watt charger, works fine for my Macbook Pro and/or tablets and phones.

Use it all the time when off grid (T5.1). I've got a 2 pin to 3 pin plug cable which I plug a 4 plug power extension lead in to.

Charging phones, using Macbook, lamp, tv, radio, tv amplifier. Never noticed a problem yet in 12 years of use.

Love hearing about all the different uses, gives a great insight into the sort of comfort levels you have. Coffee grinder my favourite so far.

I've used a 2 pin continental plug (as my T6 doesn't have Schuko socket with an earth connection ). This is on a trailing lead with an in-line 3 pin UK rubber socket on it. As the output rating is only 150W, I've put a 1 amp fuse in it (lowest rating I could find) and only use it for devices that do not require an earth connection (Class II or double insulated electrical appliance) and only draw less than 630 milliamps of power. This works fine and I've used my MacBook Pro without any problems with impure sine wave.

The socket is integral with the inverter.
No, not really.
You have the inverter, and then the power lead to the socket in the B-pillar.
inverter.jpg
If you would have a decent pure sine wave inverter, you could solder the leads of the VW-socket to the new inverter, and have a decent power output. Only watch out you don't overpower the new inverter, as the original wires will only be up to 150W. If you buy a 300W or more, the original wires might melt, and the fuse will blow.

Azteccamper - yes, the "conveniently placed" socket that requires crawling on the floor with a torch to access (at least for me).

Used ours (on T5.1 SE) on every trip for past 4 years to charge iPhones, iPads, Amazon Fires and sometimes to power a USB fan. We use a Euro extension cable feeding into an IKEA Koppla Euro-USB which provides 3 USB ports.

We’ve never and any issues with any of the devices.

Consider it a fantastic resource.

I’ve got my adaptor now, c type to 3 pin with 3xusb and c-usb, so can take advantage of the mains power. Glad to see it worked just now too

I am using it with a cpap (apnea) machine I unfortunately have to use. Works fine in my T6.1
Drains the battery but enough for one night without hookup

I think the T6.1 inverter supports up to 300W. My previous T5.1 was only 150W. My wife can now use her hair straightners without the need for electric hook-up. A game-changer as far as I'm concerned!
Yep - The wife uses it for the GHDs

I’m currently topping up the leisure batteries whilst on EHU on the driveway and I’m using Welshgases method of using a charger in the kitchen socket to charge the motor battery, via the cigarette lighter.

Just pondering, would the inverter do this?? Could the cali charge its own motor battery via the inverter?

T6.1. I don't use the inverter socket because it's rubbish. The UK plugs fall out. It's useless. £70k of vehicle and they can't get that right. :headbang

On EHU I have a 3-way adapter.

Off EHU I use my EcoFlow battery thingy.

I’m currently topping up the leisure batteries whilst on EHU on the driveway and I’m using Welshgases method of using a charger in the kitchen socket to charge the motor battery, via the cigarette lighter.

Just pondering, would the inverter do this?? Could the cali charge its own motor battery via the inverter?
If I put my California on EHU, the motor battery gets topped up as well.
IMG_20200324_111745.jpg

No need for me to put an extra charger on the motor battery.

Very inefficient. BUT you can connect a leisure battery powered 12v socket to the dashboard starter battery powered 12v socket.

Back