Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

DIY RNS510 DAB fitting

extentdweller

extentdweller

5.2 shirley?
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
HI, so got myself a RNS510 DAB from a mate who has replaced his with something better (according to him).
I have had a look online and can't find a definitive answer.
So my question is, where are the DAB and GPS antennas? I am leaning towards the wing mirrors, that being the case how much of a mare are they to install?

Cheers,

ETD.

What stereo did you remove.

I have installed an RNS510 and I have just stuck the gps antenna under the tray on the dashboard (there is loads of room that you will see when you install the stereo)

If you old stereo was dab then you are sorted.

If not you need a dab aerial, the oem one is in the mirror casing, the alternative is to use a stick on windscreen one as supplied with the kenwood unit.

Getting the wires to the mirrors shouldnt be toobad, but I have heard of trauma removing the mirror trim without breaking it.

T

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk

It's the standard unit that I am removing so no NAV, in my wisdom :headbang :censor at ordering I decided I didn't need an upgrade as nowadays we have Google maps on phones/tablets etc, well now I have decided I do miss it!
Stick on windscreen type could work but I would prefer to do it properly, I have experience in removing the mirror shrouds from last weeks trip away as twice on narrow highland roads there were mirror collisions and both times the plastic bits on the road were left remarkably unscathed, was also surprised at how easily they go back together.

Cheers,

ETD.

Factory DAB aerial is in the wing mirror.

I've retrofitted Sat Nav to another car and just used the Antenna that come with it (not factory)

extentdweller said:
It's the standard unit that I am removing so no NAV, in my wisdom :headbang :censor ETD.

SatNav is not an issue, like I say a £5 aerial from ebay, installed just under the dash tray will work fine.

But DAB is a bit more sensitive so will need a windscreen or OEM install.

T

I agree with T. Stick the GPS puck antenna under the dash centrally and so it has a 'line of sight' upwards through the windscreen. They are often self adhesive on the back, don't be tempted to stick this on the underside of the dash as you'll end up with the antenna pointing to the ground. :laugh2

All in the mirrors from factory and as has already been said some aftermarket aerials will work. You could get all the bits for a factory retrofit and take it all apart or use an aerial similar to the Kenwood system that sticks in the corner of the screen.

cheers

Thanks for the replies chaps.

Alex how tricky is it to get the antennas and associated cabling to the mirrors, something that can be done at home for someone with mechanical and electrical know how?

Cheers,

ETD.

I upgrade to the RCD510 and used the sticky antenna on the wind screen. The reception is not very reliable. I would be interested to know how easy it is to fit the genuine one in the wing mirror.

extentdweller said:
Thanks for the replies chaps.

Alex how tricky is it to get the antennas and associated cabling to the mirrors, something that can be done at home for someone with mechanical and electrical know how?

Cheers,

ETD.

You would have to dismantle the door cards, mirrors, possibly replace the mirror caps if they break and connect it all to the radio as well. A reasonably involved job I would say.

cheers

Back