Differences between a California & a Marco Polo

It can’t be classed as a work van because
  1. There isn’t a copy of The Sun on the dashboard
  2. There aren’t any empty crisp packets on the floor
  3. It’s not fast enough
  4. There’s no 2 litre bottle of Coke in the door
  5. There’s no diesel spill stains from the filler

;)

Err if you swap a copy of the sun for a european atlas my van fits the bill.

FFS, if you think it is so bloody expensive, go and buy a ford focus and stop over in travel lodges. My vehicle ownership costs will be a lot less than your's and my quality of life will be on another planet compared to yours.:D

Last edited:
Err if you swap a copy of the sun for a european atlas my van fits the bill.
It still won’t be fast enough, also won’t be able to squeeze through narrow gaps like the work van! ;)

Bottom line chaps and chapesses for between £60 & £70,000 of your hard earned cash your holidaying in a small work size van.
Medium sized, please.

I think his wife won, enjoy the DB9.

£2200 to retrofit a Towbar and electrics to a Marco Polo. Includes upgrading Gear Box Oil Cooler and Cooling Fans, and I thought VW were expensive.

Well in a 911 or DB9 you can't cook, refrigerate food, sit around a table, stand up, make any beds let alone 2 doubles, etc but in a Cali you still reach legal speed limits (and far enough beyond :eek: ).
Granted you can do all the cali stuff in style with a combo of holiday accommodation/planes but only for a few years.

Thanks for the link, I'll watch it later. I have looked into the MP, but for the moment we will stick with the Cali (and order a new one soon). Pricewise there wasn't a lot in it between the spec's that we were looking at - we looked at a MP Activity Horizon vs a Cali beach (we are 6 people and need the space).

I just found that as a camping vehicle, the MP is not quite as refined as the Cali. Small things :

• You can't fold the lower bed out with the middle row seats in.
  • There's no camping table stashed in the door
  • There's no chairs stashed in the tail.
  • The upper stairs "bed" section is not on hydraulic pistons, but needs to be lifted up and hooked onto little straps if you want extra headroom.
  • To pull the whole roof down, there's just one strap in the middle - not a bar across the roof like in the Cali...this made it tricky to pull the roof down both sides at the same time.
  • Not as many places in the side mouldings for the kids to stash stuff...
I think that was all o_O

We'll certainly be keeping an eye on developments, in principle all these things could be easily remidied in future versions. The base vehicle is lovely.

Now to watch the video...

The people who made that video are on this forum in case you didn’t know.
All their videos are well worth a watch in my opinion.
Their videos are one of the main reason ive ordered a Cali, they should get commission! They made having an adventure in van of this size look easy, fun and exciting and most importantly, they still do!!!!

Just bin in France for 3weeks ,ferry ,fuel ,food ,tolls and campsites £700 and with my wife map reading .Where else could you sit ,in a campsite in the middle of know where (meaning wrong campsite), eating beans on toast for that much.Sat and thought best thing I have ever bought , still on the Cali journey after 6years , done all that cattle holidays not for me now.

Merc , Ford , vw conversions all they try to do is copy the one and only California.

Clearly not cool enough for James Bond though!

Last edited:
Oh dear, it's all gone hideously wrong. Please ignore previous posts. Finger trouble I'm afraid!

Bottom line chaps and chapesses for between £60 & £70,000 of your hard earned cash your holidaying in a small work size van.
Depends how you look at it. Half empty or half full kindda of person?! You might be holidaying in a small work van and see it that way, but from these forums, people are holidaying throughout the Uk and Europe thanks to the Cali as the Cali gives them this freedom! The versatility of these 'small work size vans' is like no other!

Rather spend the cash on a campervan than a Range Rover or other single use vehicle. We are fortunate to have seen the light and gained freedom.

Saw some of these 88k range rovers towing 33k wobble boxes all the way down south of France yes might not have the space of a wobble box but get some where half the time and pitch up in 10 mins in the cali

And what gives me the hump when a tenter or wobble box owner says nice conversion I just gaze at them and think do one mate dreamer

My wife says the guy was only trying to make conversation with you ok happy camping mate

I like to say who has your Land Rover the most you or your dealer that sends them away

I like to say who has your Land Rover the most you or your dealer that sends them away
oouuffff!!!!! :Nailbiting
That's a comment that could easily come swinging back our way...you only have to read the forum to see that.

Hmm, if your after look alikes, what about one of these :) :thumb :confused:o_O:talktothehand

Screenshot_20180718-185552_Chrome.jpg

Back