Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cooking Equipment

Thank you all for your contributions and ideas, RM seem to be the standout is that due to their build quality or simply the look of them?

Thank you also to @yossarian I'm very tempted by that too. The only thing that concerns me about heavily discounted cookware on eBay is a proportion of it is counterfeit and I certainly wouldn't want to be eating from counterfeit cookware as some of the coatings used can be carcinogenic.....
As regards the RM, I’ld say it’s both its versatility and its quality in the simple yet solid way it’s put together. We’ve been using ours for several years now, everything from croissants or toasties to eggs and bacon.I will add though that in general terms we are careful with and maintain our equipment. I’m sure others will provide a wide range of uses.
Oh and we too use Le Creuset pots and pans, but at home.

Thank you all for your contributions and ideas, RM seem to be the standout is that due to their build quality or simply the look of them?

Thank you also to @yossarian I'm very tempted by that too. The only thing that concerns me about heavily discounted cookware on eBay is a proportion of it is counterfeit and I certainly wouldn't want to be eating from counterfeit cookware as some of the coatings used can be carcinogenic.....
Ridge Monkey pans are popular in campervans because, due to magnets in the handles, they keep everything inside - minimal splashes and cooking fug. They also cook efficiently, because they’re usually closed when cooking. Our deep RM acts like a pressure cooker.

We have a Ridge Monkey which is great and the Outwell collapsible kettle also great. For pans we bought this Italian set which has been really very good.

BALLARINI Pot Set, 3-Piece, incl. 3 glass lids, non-stick coating, aluminum / plastic handles, Click & Cook, Black https://amzn.eu/d/aPHw8XR

I can't be bothered with detachable handles.
They're not that cheap but that wasn't in the specification requested!

We have a very nice set of induction Ingenio pans that I kept for camping. However, they have gradually all found their way into the kitchen. I’ve recently replaced them with a Soto Navigator set, which is more of a backpacking cookset and pretty lightweight. Not actually used them yet, but hopefully they should be ok for two people.

@Barry Chuckle - depends what, how and where you cook. It’s a very personal thing, and difficult to get right first time. We’re still curating our kitchen stuff 20 months into ownership. We started out with too many conventional saucepans (plus frying pan and Ridge Monkey toastie maker and a deep pan. We were thinking more about how we cook at home, which isn’t the same. When touring, 80% of the time we cook outdoors, using a single burner plus maybe charcoal bbq, and salads. We don’t need lots of pans. Overview of our journey:

Thrown out : Outwell frying pan - warps; collapsible small stainless saucepan, collapsible colander, neoprene splash guard, collapsible kettle for hob (Too slow and too small).

Kept and occasionally use - Outwell lux kettle, RM Toastie maker, pizza stone for outdoor cooker.

Kept and use constantly - RM deep large pan with griddle lid, small non stick saucepan and lid, small electric kettle, and new as of 2 months ago, a Cadac Paella pan with lid - excellent for sautéing, frying, and baking (fish). Campingaz Party Grill 400, a small and cheap bbq from a French supermarket (on about its 10th season). Plus a couple of small but very sharp French kitchen knives, and a cafetière of course.
hi, i really like the ridge monkey deep large pan with griddle lid - versatile so easy to cook on gas with it and easy to clean. But I still haven’t found the perfect way to store it in the cupboard. We even managed to break our door handles from the inside as it got stuck with the handle attachment piece. How and where are you storing yours?

It's interesting a few of the posters on here (and myself) mention that they use Le Crusset at home due to their quality on longevity but no one has mentioned they use them in their Cali.

Le Crusset make hob kettles and also smaller pans, so I'm wondering why people don't use them more? I appreciate they have fixed handles but I can't see any other reason why not?

@Barry Chuckle - depends what, how and where you cook. It’s a very personal thing, and difficult to get right first time. We’re still curating our kitchen stuff 20 months into ownership. We started out with too many conventional saucepans (plus frying pan and Ridge Monkey toastie maker and a deep pan. We were thinking more about how we cook at home, which isn’t the same. When touring, 80% of the time we cook outdoors, using a single burner plus maybe charcoal bbq, and salads. We don’t need lots of pans. Overview of our journey:

Thrown out : Outwell frying pan - warps; collapsible small stainless saucepan, collapsible colander, neoprene splash guard, collapsible kettle for hob (Too slow and too small).

Kept and occasionally use - Outwell lux kettle, RM Toastie maker, pizza stone for outdoor cooker.

Kept and use constantly - RM deep large pan with griddle lid, small non stick saucepan and lid, small electric kettle, and new as of 2 months ago, a Cadac Paella pan with lid - excellent for sautéing, frying, and baking (fish). Campingaz Party Grill 400, a small and cheap bbq from a French supermarket (on about its 10th season). Plus a couple of small but very sharp French kitchen knives, and a cafetière of course.
Love the idea of the Paella pan - But Where do you store it??

We use these

Purchased about 30 years ago and still going strong. Can cook anything, from a roast to toast. There a little expensive but I can't recommend highly enough.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

It looks like rich monkey is very, very popular on the Isles (I am Dutch). Not liking any PFAS (Teflon) pans we are rather enthousiastic about our MSR ceramic pans.

We use these

Purchased about 30 years ago and still going strong. Can cook anything, from a roast to toast. There a little expensive but I can't recommend highly enough.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Interestingly, the original company sold up a few years ago and these are a newer version. We had an original set which we used in our previous van….. in our case they did not fare well and I think are a little too big for the Cali hob.

One cooking catergory that I have chucked out of the van is the glass/steel pan lids.
Replaced by silicone lids - we use them at home too. Ikea ones are great.

It's interesting a few of the posters on here (and myself) mention that they use Le Crusset at home due to their quality on longevity but no one has mentioned they use them in their Cali.

Le Crusset make hob kettles and also smaller pans, so I'm wondering why people don't use them more? I appreciate they have fixed handles but I can't see any other reason why not?
Hi

We use Le Creuset pans in the van. Had them for years. Not the cast iron ones but the non stick. Have a frying pan and a milk pan. Also have the Ballarini set of pans mentioned above. Had those for 10 years and still look like new. The large one is in the daughters camping gear!

We used a Wacky Practicals collapsible kettle for 9 years just swapped it this year for a Petromax stainless steel one which is great. Use electric kettle on hook up.

We also have a Ridge Monkey which I do use but I prefer my frying pan and lid.

hi, i really like the ridge monkey deep large pan with griddle lid - versatile so easy to cook on gas with it and easy to clean. But I still haven’t found the perfect way to store it in the cupboard. We even managed to break our door handles from the inside as it got stuck with the handle attachment piece. How and where are you storing yours?
We store all our pans in the pull out drawer. The RM toastie maker and RM deep pan stack on top of one another in the drawer. Plus kettle, other pans, chopping board, electric heater, bowls, and window blinds. Also about 3 bottles of red !

We store all our pans in the pull out drawer. The RM toastie maker and RM deep pan stack on top of one another in the drawer. Plus kettle, other pans, chopping board, electric heater, bowls, and window blinds. Also about 3 bottles of red !
Only 3? You lightweight! :D

As an alternative to the Ridge Monkey, I have a Soto sandwich maker. Made in Japan!! It folds up neatly and comes with a storage bag. Also makes square fried eggs that fit nicely on a slice of toast :)

IMG_3126.jpeg

IMG_4287.jpeg

IMG_4288.jpeg

I swapped some thin hiking pans for Tefal Ingenio which are such a pleasure to use, thick bottomed and great quality. Big revelation for me recently was buying a stovetop pressure cooker - Kuhn Rikon do one without a long handle called the Duromatic Inox. I keep it in the tailgate. Means I can cook up a casserole, curry or soup in no time on the Cadac Safari. I have an old titanium kettle from hiking days which is lightweight and easy to stow away.

Hi,

I've my new Cali Ocean on order and am already counting down the months....

I've searched this forum as to not repeat old threads, however I cannot seem to find a specific one on this. My first purchase will be a gas hob kettle and cooking equipment. Can anyone come up with any suggestions, when it comes to buying cookware for the home, I've always found that cheap is expensive so tend to buy the best as it's longevity works out much less than buying cheaper equipment which peels, warps, corrodes etc...

Can anyone suggest any sets or makes I should be looking at, the cost is of secondary importance, I'd rather buy the best and have it last for years. eg I've bought Le Crusset at home and it has really stood the test of time?

Thanks again
Lots of advice on cooking and I agree a RM and collapsable kettle are my dessert Island items. My best bit of advice is good quality cutlery and tableware. I started with melamine plates and Ikea cutlery but when financially able got Corelle crockery and decent cutlery from John Lewis including a Robert Welsh steak knife for meat eating guests; and obviously china cups and coffee glasses! Makes mealtimes worthy of the van.

Lots of advice on cooking and I agree a RM and collapsable kettle are my dessert Island items. My best bit of advice is good quality cutlery and tableware. I started with melamine plates and Ikea cutlery but when financially able got Corelle crockery and decent cutlery from John Lewis including a Robert Welsh steak knife for meat eating guests; and obviously china cups and coffee glasses! Makes mealtimes worthy of the van.
I agree about using quality tableware, but our Robert Welch cutlery only comes out at Christmas :)
As a big fan of Japanese camping gear I use the Snow Peak stainless steels mugs. Their plate/bowl sets are a pleasure to use as well.
It’s not what I would call cheap, but often the best prices can be had by purchasing direct from Amazon Japan!

IMG_4290.jpeg

IMG_4291.jpeg

Hi,

I've my new Cali Ocean on order and am already counting down the months....

I've searched this forum as to not repeat old threads, however I cannot seem to find a specific one on this. My first purchase will be a gas hob kettle and cooking equipment. Can anyone come up with any suggestions, when it comes to buying cookware for the home, I've always found that cheap is expensive so tend to buy the best as it's longevity works out much less than buying cheaper equipment which peels, warps, corrodes etc...

Can anyone suggest any sets or makes I should be looking at, the cost is of secondary importance, I'd rather buy the best and have it last for years. eg I've bought Le Crusset at home and it has really stood the test of time?

Thanks again
Get the 'Bright Spark Toaster camping' from the Highlander store on Amazon. £7. Works really well & takes up almost no space.

Get the 'Bright Spark Toaster camping' from the Highlander store on Amazon. £7. Works really well & takes up almost no space.
Looks pretty good, but you can get this one that looks the same for £5.78!!!
“ibili 810400 "Clasica" Foldable Tin Plate Bread Toaster, Silver, 20 x 20 cm”.

I have the Primus one that folds flat but only cooks one slice at a time.

IMG_4299.jpeg

Last edited:
Ordered. Looks like a great kettle.
£26.95 on Amazon today with 10% discount…
We love it! Every time we use it, it brings a smile to our face…. only small word of caution use a tea towel or similar to hold the handle when pouring incase the lid comes away (trivial stuff really)

We love it! Every time we use it, it brings a smile to our face…. only small word of caution use a tea towel or similar to hold the handle when pouring incase the lid comes away (trivial stuff really)
After seeing your photo, I've purchased it too, I took advantage of the 10% offer on Amazon but I bought the pan that can go with it and that the kettle fits into for storage......

Just a quick question @chockswahay, to doesn't have a whistle that I can see so how do you know when it's boiled or do you just have to watch it like a hawk....?

Back