Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cooking assistance in Beach

177dc0b63d75121220c7f9160369d029.jpg

This photo should give a good idea of how high compared to a t5 rear light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I was a slow convert to the Slidepod. I was certain I wanted a small pod inside. I used a pod a couple of times at Campermart and I was converted.

We don't like to cook inside because of smells so it works and it can removed to return my van to a simple van.

We will be using it in anger soon and I will be at the Brean Sands meet if you want a look.

As you gain experience with it Matt, I'd be interested in how the 'standing outside' in poor British summer weather 'trades' against the benefits you've mentioned. I know you are sheltered under the tailgate, but your other occupants are exposed to the cold / wind too.

Actually, I'd like to hear a full review of the pros and cons from someone who has owned both inside and tailgate kitchens. My initial reaction is that it wouldn't suit me at all, but would like to hear from owners experience. My mind's drifting to not being able to escape the Scottish midges in summer.....

Completely agree and trains of thought that I had too before I purchased. It won't suit everyone, it probably depends on how and where you holiday.

Warm summer months or European holidays it's perfectly suited. Likewise if you use an awning then it's going to work, as you can just unhitch it and put it in the awning. If its cold then you will probably not want to be out there.

I think my own conversion moment was at Camperjam, making a coffee under the tailgate on Jonny's van, it was raining and realising I was neither cold or wet. I love cooking outdoors too.

I intend to do a full video review of the pod, but only after some good use in real situations. I don't have an internal pod to review sadly unless Jonny comes up with one and fancies some field tests. ;)

177dc0b63d75121220c7f9160369d029.jpg

This photo should give a good idea of how high compared to a t5 rear light.

Thanks Matt
I will get the mrs outside to see the height

Thanks Matt
I will get the mrs outside to see the height
Hi Matt
Could you take a measurement from the ground to the top of your pod please ?
It seems rather high in comparison to the t6 rear lights.
Thanks for your help

My setup is:
  • JetBoil Sumo for making hot drinks
  • Cadac Safari HP for cooking (shares the same gas canisters as the JetBoil)
  • MSR Pocket Rocket stove as a backup (also uses the same gas canisters and is tiny)
The JetBoil and MSR are permanently in the van, while the Cadac just comes along for camping or BBQ days.

Stuart, can I ask a couple of questions about your Sumo? Is there space (vertically) to use it on the tabletop while the roof is down? And how much of it gets hot to the touch? I would have a couple of toddlers in the van and am looking for something that I could set aside immediately after using it without worrying about little fingers grabbing it and getting burned. (Maybe this is a dumb question, I haven't seen a Sumo in person so I'm not sure how it works.). Thanks!

Stuart, can I ask a couple of questions about your Sumo? Is there space (vertically) to use it on the tabletop while the roof is down? And how much of it gets hot to the touch? I would have a couple of toddlers in the van and am looking for something that I could set aside immediately after using it without worrying about little fingers grabbing it and getting burned. (Maybe this is a dumb question, I haven't seen a Sumo in person so I'm not sure how it works.). Thanks!

Yes plenty vertical space, unless perhaps if you use a really big gas canister as that would make it taller. We use a 230g canister and it's fine.

I haven't tried touching much of it just after use, but I would expect all the metal bits to be quite hot! After 5 mins it's all cooled down.

And remember to get a CO detector!

Completely agree and trains of thought that I had too before I purchased. It won't suit everyone, it probably depends on how and where you holiday.

Warm summer months or European holidays it's perfectly suited. Likewise if you use an awning then it's going to work, as you can just unhitch it and put it in the awning. If its cold then you will probably not want to be out there.

I think my own conversion moment was at Camperjam, making a coffee under the tailgate on Jonny's van, it was raining and realising I was neither cold or wet. I love cooking outdoors too.

I intend to do a full video review of the pod, but only after some good use in real situations. I don't have an internal pod to review sadly unless Jonny comes up with one and fancies some field tests. ;)
Please do share a link when you create that video review - I'd love to see it!

I have never cooked inside- I did get a small electric kettle for when on hook up but never used that either. We have 2 x Campingaz Bistro cooker that take CP250 gas cartridges. This gives flexibility on the 2 or 1 burner issue. These cookers are flat and stable so you can use decent sized pans if you need to. We put the cooker/s on a low camping table under the wind out awning. We also have a mini windbreak to go round the cooker if its windy (small aluminium panels with hinges go on table top). Works well for us.
Having had my Kampa two ring stove melt on me last year, I decided to just supplement my old Camping Gaz Bistro with another new one which cost about £10. I spent ages looking around for another two ring one but wasn't that impressed with what was on offer, so now just use the two separate stoves. I think the boil time is much quicker with those than it was with the old two ring stove, and means I don't have to carry the big gas bottle too. We don't go frequently enough for the cost of the cartridges to be an issue really. And then I use my Weber Q1200 BBQ for cooking bacon, fish, burgers etc

I bought the Alpkit Jackal. I have barely used it since I got it.
I got a mail about a replacement because it could leak gas in the connection to the cylinder. I got the replacement yesterday and tried it today. After 2 minutes the plastic of the lowest part melted. I dont know if I can trust this kit anymore. Our 20£ casettentype burner have been flawless for over a year. Anyone with experience of the Alpkit Jakall? Maybe the Jetboil is a better bet?

Another vote for the cartridge /aerosol units. Cheap, stable, cartridges available much more widely that the bottles and Fast! Gas in cartridges is fairly cheap if bought well. (£1 each). They do double burner versions, but they are a bonkers idea. Just buy two singles.

Can't agree more. Have had the portable folding double burner/ grill type, the large 907 and an expensive built in SMEV 9222 glass topped sink and double burner. In the end the cheap and cheerful portable disposable type has been by far the easiest to use/store ext especially in terms of inside and outside use.

Sorry if already posted (just joined thread) but I am thinking of one of these for inside tea making as its flat and compact looks safe to use maybe even with roof down... (Usefuil case to keep it in too)

stove.jpg

Sorry if already posted (just joined thread) but I am thinking of one of these for inside tea making as its flat and compact looks safe to use maybe even with roof down... (Usefuil case to keep it in too)

View attachment 29300

I had always been dismissive of these stoves, gear snobbery getting the better of me etc. For a 2 week trip to the Mosel last summer i found myself taking out my pod with a split worktop hob and sink in favour of a £7.50 version of a cartridge stove branded 'Halfords" (almost heracy that I even bought 'camping' stuff from them) as it was in stock and local. It freed up loads of space in my lwb conversion for the 3 bikes we transported inside the van for the outward and return journeys.

We found the size of the base gave a stable platform, almost impossible to knock over or for a pan to slide off. Built in safety latch means you can't put the pan rest way without disconnecting the gas canister. Full marks for the price and simplicity.

Not used the camping gaz one in your later post but it looks like style (and cost) over substance. Are pans stable on the burner?

Sorry for the reference to the H shop earlier.... It did come in black though which also helped.

I have bought the campingaz one it is better quality and am going to include it in my NANO pod unit. Gas canisters are bigger also but fit neatly/safely into the unit.

I think it stable but I might use Velcro pads to attach/detach from top of Nano Unit and store in base of Nano unit.

View attachment 29300
If your Beach has the 3-seat bench this cooker (without the case) fits exactly in the space of one of the drawers. There's even room for a spare cylinder.

I have bought the camping gaz one for safety there are reports of the cheaper ones going up in flames although probably being used by idiots...

I have this one: 32.5 x 22 x 12 cm

campinggaz.jpg

I have bought the camping gaz one for safety there are reports of the cheaper ones going up in flames although probably being used by idiots...

I have this one: 32.5 x 22 x 12 cm

View attachment 29309

I have been (and still am) using one of those in my pod. Still going strong after 4.5 years. Fitted a plate to the bottom so that it can attached to the pod. Singe thumbscrew to remove to use outside or change the cartridge.
Only negative is that as the gas runs out you do lose pressure and boiling a kettle takes longer.

^ Excellent thanks. I am going to try to attach to the Nano Pod in a similar way. That way I have a Hob, running water into a sink, waste tank and room to store cutlery & cups etc as well as swinging table! It's not an Ocean but it might be a Beach Pool.:bananadance2

Last edited:
Back