Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Contemplating switching from T6 Ocean to a T6 Beach

JunglieD

JunglieD

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
We’ve absolutely loved our 2017 T6 Ocean since buying late-2020. However, it pains me to say that approaching this summer I’m increasingly thinking about how we use the van now our family composition has changed (growing kids) and we’ve established into certain patterns of usage.

Looking ‘across the fence’ I can see some elements of the Beach I find attractive but have some worries that I’m hoping experienced owners might be able to help me better solution:

- Fridge: the Ocean setup is pretty damn good in terms of ‘litres capacity’ and worry free leisure battery consumption and tracking. Is there anything close in Beach-land?
- Leisure Batteries: Obviously the Ocean benefits from 2 which makes the 3+ nights off grid stay a ‘breeze’. What would a T6 Beach allow me to do assuming normal fridge interior lighting and daily device charging for 2-3 phones
- Storage: I think I can find workable solutions here with boxes and possibly those window bags
- Interior table: does the T6 Beach with 3 rear seats benefit from the interior table which slides along the rail?
- Heater: I’ll admit it, we’re soft fair-weather campers. Probably only use the Ocean heating ~3 times per year. However, I bet we’d miss it if we didn’t find the right spec Beach…. To help me weigh options - is the insulation the same across Ocean and Beach range (glazing etc) to make a non-heater version usable 365.
- Anything else I need to factor would you think?

Picture for attention. To clarify I’m considering something like a part ex ‘swap’ with as little money exchanging hands as possible. Therefore not expecting to be able to get into the T6.1 Beach ranges (despite the attractive single gas burner option etc)

IMG_9325.jpeg

Hi
We are a family of 4 with T6 Beach. I can answer some of your questions from our experience.

Fridge & batteries - we use alpicool TA35. This runs of leisure battery for a couple of days without needing to charge leisure battery. We have so far only done 2 nights like this with fridge, phones and lighting.
- storage - we find storage great we have window boxes, and use boxes in the rear and love that we can pack up for the 4 of us with kayak and paddleboard as well. We are always tweaking storage but you'll find some great ideas on here from people about Beach storage.
- table - yes it does have the table, and we have also made a smaller table that goes into the rail as well which stays up all the time now.
Heater and insulation - I don't know we don't have a heater but we go on hook up in winter and use a little heater. We have considered adding a parking heater but we haven't found we need it so far as we just book ehu in winter.
I've not had an ocean or camper like that before so I am not sure on the comparison but we love our beach for the flexibility it offers.
Hope you find your answer.
Good luck with the research.

Hi
We are a family of 4 with T6 Beach. I can answer some of your questions from our experience.

Fridge & batteries - we use alpicool TA35. This runs of leisure battery for a couple of days without needing to charge leisure battery. We have so far only done 2 nights like this with fridge, phones and lighting.
- storage - we find storage great we have window boxes, and use boxes in the rear and love that we can pack up for the 4 of us with kayak and paddleboard as well. We are always tweaking storage but you'll find some great ideas on here from people about Beach storage.
- table - yes it does have the table, and we have also made a smaller table that goes into the rail as well which stays up all the time now.
Heater and insulation - I don't know we don't have a heater but we go on hook up in winter and use a little heater. We have considered adding a parking heater but we haven't found we need it so far as we just book ehu in winter.
I've not had an ocean or camper like that before so I am not sure on the comparison but we love our beach for the flexibility it offers.
Hope you find your answer.
Good luck with the research.
Thank you - these are all fantastic insights. I hadn’t thought of using a portable (low watt) heater while on EHU. That might just open up a few more options in the used Beach market…. The fridge advice is helpful too. That’s the main sticking point for me now - because we have become accustomed to the 40Litre capacity of the Ocean integrated one. However, on a separate thread I’ve learned there are several after market options at that capacity - not many of them cheap, but something I’d factor in because I don’t see us slimming our usage here.

Thanks again!

Thank you - these are all fantastic insights. I hadn’t thought of using a portable (low watt) heater while on EHU. That might just open up a few more options in the used Beach market…. The fridge advice is helpful too. That’s the main sticking point for me now - because we have become accustomed to the 40Litre capacity of the Ocean integrated one. However, on a separate thread I’ve learned there are several after market options at that capacity - not many of them cheap, but something I’d factor in because I don’t see us slimming our usage here.

Thanks again!
If you want to keep a fridge in the boot, the multiflex is much higher with the 3 seat bench. With the 2-seat bench the clearance is only about 36cm. There is plenty of space in front of the side storage box though inside the van. Another option is a smaller fridge that fits between the front seats, eg Indel B TB18. It’s only 18L though.

Were you thinking of the Beach with 2 or 3 seat bench?
With the 3-seat bench the bed is higher than you are used to in the Ocean. You also really need the comfort mattress that smooths over the contours of the seats to make it flat. Downside is it stacks higher than the same mattress for the 2-seat bench.

You don’t have the double glazed rear windows with the Beach and a high spec model is hard to find. Even seemingly basic things like CarPlay were options, as were steering wheel controls. The T6 headlights are H4 and worse than the Ocean ones, but can be improved with brighter bulbs.

The Beach only has a single leisure battery, but if you get an EcoFlow Delta 2 or similar that would keep a fridge going for 3-4 days without hookup depending on the power consumption. Of course if only using hookup you won’t need that.
Window bags are very useful. Check out VanEssa, Thais SL, Busboxx or California-Camping.

In terms of options, a T6.1 will have a higher base spec. Things to look out for on a T6 are CarPlay as I mentioned above, auto headlights and wipers, fog lights, steering wheel controls, higher spec media unit, heated seats, auto folding mirrors, climate control, 17 inch alloys, tinted rear windows. The awning was an option as well. Some of these would have been standard on your Ocean but none are on the T6 Beach.

Fridge thread

The T6 Beach could be Factory specced with pretty much everything an Ocean has , obvs roof, kitchen , second LB etc aside.
Standard H4 headlights are appalling, but can be swapped for Original H7 or after market lamps To improve.
T6 Beach can have LED headlights as Factory an option as with most everything else , both Diesel heaters, MFSW, cruise, Heated seats , comfort dash, lights and vision, Discover media , car play, heated front / rear screen etc etc. etc. Not all Beach are poverty spec , but they are Rare & command a premium.

storage , window bags & packing cubes, really useful boxes etc, storage under Bench seat , side panel opposite slider.

Beach can be a proper 7 seat MPV And still be useable for camping (I’ve done it)

sliding door table can be set up inside the van for cooking, eating , games etc

The T6 Beach could be Factory specced with pretty much everything an Ocean has , obvs roof, kitchen , second LB etc aside.
Standard H4 headlights are appalling, but can be swapped for Original H7 or after market lamps To improve.
T6 Beach can have LED headlights as Factory an option as with most everything else , both Diesel heaters, MFSW, cruise, Heated seats , comfort dash, lights and vision, Discover media , car play, heated front / rear screen etc etc. etc. Not all Beach are poverty spec , but they are Rare & command a premium.

storage , window bags & packing cubes, really useful boxes etc, storage under Bench seat , side panel opposite slider.

Beach can be a proper 7 seat MPV And still be useable for camping (I’ve done it)

sliding door table can be set up inside the van for cooking, eating , games etc
Edit: if you want to see a very high spec Beach drop me a PM

The T6 headlights are H4 and worse than the Ocean ones, but can be improved with brighter bulbs.
Not all Beaches are H4. They they could be "upgraded" to H7 from the factory with the exterior pack (black wing mirrors, upgraded headlights and cornering fog lights).... still fairly rubbish, but better than H4. I went for this option and have still added Phillips Racing Vison bulbs since. The black wing mirrors were a total con tho since I assumed these would be glossy black as per many cars back in 2016, however they were just matte black plastic as per builder van spec, so paying extra for a downgrade!! :mad:

Thanks again!

Kampa mini.jpg

We’re now on our second Beach and in my opinion it is a far better option than an Ocean for a family of 4 (and a dog). The extra room makes a big difference, storage options are more flexible and the Beach doubles up as a large, family car which is a huge benefit. Also, do you really need a kitchen in the van when camping. A big part of the joy of camping for me is cooking in the fresh air. We paid several k extra for a heater in our first Beach and used it twice. This winter we camped in -4c with no heating. With jumpers, socks, wooly hats and hot water bottles it was fine! We bought the Beach cool box which is fine with hook up but only runs to about 12 hours on leisure battery. There are other fridges that run for longer I believe. However, we’ve got one of these which will keep everything cold for 3 or 4 days when camping without hook up. It also doubles up as an extra seat! https://amzn.eu/d/gv41UQA

Back