Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Charge Leisure battery to 100% while driving?

simon parker

simon parker

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
So I'm off for a break early Sept, and will be off grid for 4 days (3 nights) and worried will run out of power for the fridge. It will be warm. Don't suppose will use lighting much, if at all, and charging phones etc will be done via a portable power bank, so hopefully ok. But, still little concerned especially if its super hot and fridge stops working when run out of power. So researching I gather as my Cali is blue motion just running the engine only charges the leisure battery to 80%, so how can I get it to 100% for the trip? I know I can charge it at home to 100% but that will drop to 80% soon as I drive it. I also know you can buy a DC DC adapter thingy that allows 100% charge but is there any other way around this issue? Someone I see posted running the lights or heated seats overrides the 80% limit

any advice?

1657895606491.png

So I'm off for a break early Sept, and will be off grid for 4 days (3 nights) and worried will run out of power for the fridge. It will be warm. Don't suppose will use lighting much, if at all, and charging phones etc will be done via a portable power bank, so hopefully ok. But, still little concerned especially if its super hot and fridge stops working when run out of power. So researching I gather as my Cali is blue motion just running the engine only charges the leisure battery to 80%, so how can I get it to 100% for the trip? I know I can charge it at home to 100% but that will drop to 80% soon as I drive it. I also know you can buy a DC DC adapter thingy that allows 100% charge but is there any other way around this issue? Someone I see posted running the lights or heated seats overrides the 80% limit

any advice?

View attachment 96227
Hi,
I tested this with our 2015 SE, and one seat heater set to the lowest setting (one light out of 3 lit) my wife couldn't feel the heat so wasn't uncomfortable. That was enough to set it to full charge, you can tell in the display if you have voltage showing if it goes up above 14V all the time then it's on full power once you have done that. If it's on low 13Vs 13.3 13.4 ish then it's not doing full charge.

Hi,
I tested this with our 2015 SE, and one seat heater set to the lowest setting (one light out of 3 lit) my wife couldn't feel the heat so wasn't uncomfortable. That was enough to set it to full charge, you can tell in the display if you have voltage showing if it goes up above 14V all the time then it's on full power once you have done that. If it's on low 13Vs 13.3 13.4 ish then it's not doing full charge.
Likewise for my 2019 T6 150.

Hi,
Note if your battery is very very flat it might not make it up to 14V still but should be close.

I don't know what model you have so you might need to check it does the same thing.

Does yours have a 'max charge' function on the overhead screen?

Does yours have a 'max charge' function on the overhead screen?
That function was introduced with the new camping unit display in the 6.1. The seat heater is our poor man’s ‘max charge’

Having a tow bar bike rack plugged in also seems to force maximum charging, most of the time at least.

Maybe freeze a plastic bottle of milk and put that in the fridge to reduce it’s power consumption for a day or two. Take it out to defrost a while before you need it.

Thanks for the advice. I’ll try the heated seat trick and note the battery charge while it’s on. My cali is a 2018 t6 with blue motion so no doesn’t have the max charge option I think that’s only on the t6.1.

That function was introduced with the new camping unit display in the 6.1. The seat heater is our poor man’s ‘max charge’

Having a tow bar bike rack plugged in also seems to force maximum charging, most of the time at least.
Ref: towbar electrics. Also seems to switch off Stop/Start. At least it does on mine.

Back