Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Carpets rear boot

M

myvanrodney

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Sorry site search is broken, so created new thread —

I have the wood effect floor. Looks lovely but now questioning practicality for boot space and carrying odd shape cargo . I’m guessing it won’t be long before it gets awfully scratched from sharp edged stuff sliding around in the boot like on an ice rink.

Tips and recommendations please for rear carpet or ways to secure items in the vast boot area.

Thank you all

You can go expensive with brands like Brandrup or go to somewhere like the Range and get some 50cm x 100cm mats (the size might be a bit different) 2 fit in the boot. I have the same mats on the main floor as well and one cut into the seat draw. The bit i cut off fits between the front seats. Most people seem to stack it full of Really Useful Boxes, so things don't tend to move around. What have you bought for your california is a good thread to read, but it's long.

Last edited:

I have the wood effect floor. Looks lovely but now questioning practicality for boot space and carrying odd shape cargo . I’m guessing it won’t be long before it gets awfully scratched from sharp edged stuff sliding around in the boot like on an ice rink.

Tips and recommendations please for rear carpet or ways to secure items in the vast boot area.

Thank you all
An alternative and better site search is google, enter this in your browser’s address bar.
site:vwcaliforniaclub.com
leave a space after .com before entering your search term

Thank you all
We have a wooden floor too and have placed a large door mat in the boot. If you google ‘washable doormat’ there are a lot of different makes available, in a variety of sizes.

We have a wooden floor too and have placed a large door mat in the boot. If you google ‘washable doormat’ there are a lot of different makes available, in a variety of sizes.
Spacemate drawer = overkill?

I have one of these...... it fits perfectly and is way more durable than it looks/feels. The lip around the edges keeps all manner of dirt n stuff self contained..... easy to just pull out and shake out :thumb

It all depends what you store in the boot. How you pack tends to change a lot in the first year, so personally I’d hold off buying one.
Sound advise. Thanks.

Thank you all
I have the Brandrup ones floor and sides and although expensive it is tailored to fit like a glove. Stops stuff sliding around and protects the sides from scratches etc. after camping over last few months it definitely takes the worry out of chucking stuff in the boot. They also seem to grip well so when you have just a few items in they seem to not slide much.

I went to a local carpet fitting company and asked if they had any free samples, they keep example swatches for sale (low price) and giveaway (older samples)…I got two, one fits the boot of our beach camper very well and the other nicer looking one we keep in the living area. Worth asking.

Oh, the other thing we do is use the plastic fold and stow boxes that are sometimes on sale in stores “with the middle aisle” items…height was perfect and you can have two or three side by side depending what’s already in the boot space…great for carrying multiple items in and out the boot space too.

I have the Brandrup ones floor and sides and although expensive it is tailored to fit like a glove. Stops stuff sliding around and protects the sides from scratches etc. after camping over last few months it definitely takes the worry out of chucking stuff in the boot. They also seem to grip well so when you have just a few items in they seem to not slide muc

Thanks. I couldn’t work out how far forward the brandrup boot mat reaches? Does it cover the floor if the rear seat is moved forward at all, or do you need the living space mats too if you want this coverage?

Also, they look like they cover the rails - does this leave 2 lumps in the carpet?

I had a look at the rugs for bugs mats which seem to have more shape to them (cover the small area by the shower point), but again don’t look totally identical to the ‘23 ocean footprint. Did you consider these or others?

(Sorry verbal diarrhea)

Oh, the other thing we do is use the plastic fold and stow boxes that are sometimes on sale in stores “with the middle aisle” items…height was perfect and you can have two or three side by side depending what’s already in the boot space…great for carrying multiple items in and out the boot space too.
Good idea.. does the constant sliding scratch the wood effect floor over time?

Thanks. I couldn’t work out how far forward the brandrup boot mat reaches? Does it cover the floor if the rear seat is moved forward at all, or do you need the living space mats too if you want this coverage?

Also, they look like they cover the rails - does this leave 2 lumps in the carpet?

I had a look at the rugs for bugs mats which seem to have more shape to them (cover the small area by the shower point), but again don’t look totally identical to the ‘23 ocean footprint. Did you consider these or others?

(Sorry verbal diarrhea)
They go to the back of the seats in their normal position, you would need front carpets in addition. We have carpets that are split in 2 so you can slide the seat forward. Personally I cannot imagine not having carpets in the main living area. We have ones that covers the rails to keep them clean and try to minimise scratches.

They go to the back of the seats in their normal position, you would need front carpets in addition. We have carpets that are split in 2 so you can slide the seat forward. Personally I cannot imagine not having carpets in the main living area. We have ones that covers the rails to keep them clean and try to minimise scratches.
I feel this, but can’t forget the obscene money I spent on the wood effect floor, to then cover it up. lol !!

I feel this, but can’t forget the obscene money I spent on the wood effect floor, to then cover it up. lol !!
Understand, I didn’t as always thought I would want the carpets anyway.

Yes it's the same as buying upgraded leather seats and then buying covers for them.
Agree with that, don’t cover our seats TBH my view is once they look knackered I will buy seat covers!

I have one of these...... it fits perfectly and is way more durable than it looks/feels. The lip around the edges keeps all manner of dirt n stuff self contained..... easy to just pull out and shake out :thumb

Me too

You can go expensive with brands like Brandrup or go to somewhere like the Range and get some 50cm x 100cm mats (the size might be a bit different) 2 fit in the boot. I have the same mats on the main floor as well and one cut into the seat draw. The bit i cut off fits between the front seats. Most people seem to stack it full of Really Useful Boxes, so things don't tend to move around. What have you bought for your california is a good thread to read, but it's long.
I have the Brandup fitted carpet in the boot and whilst I rate their products it was an unnecessary product and sometimes snags on the seat when to move it back.

I made a template and bought a piece of carpet that cost next to nothing, I cut it out and put it in the California, it's great, it's warmer for my feet, it's well insulated

I use a 3mm rubberised mat, cut to fit, to protect the wood effect floor in the boot. Pulling heavy boxes in and out and a Brompton would destroy the surface in short-order. Also helps prevent the items shifting and rubbing against the cabinetry and internal surfaces.

I use a 3mm rubberised mat, cut to fit, to protect the wood effect floor in the boot. Pulling heavy boxes in and out and a Brompton would destroy the surface in short-order. Also helps prevent the items shifting and rubbing against the cabinetry and internal surfaces.
Nice.. would love to see a photo?

Back