Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Can food bought in France be taken to other EU countries?

Maidment_Ocean

Maidment_Ocean

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi All,

We have a trip booked where we will be using the Eurotunnel into France then on into Belgium, Netherlands and Germany.

If we follow the food restrictions about what you can take to France and then stock up on food at a French supermarket when we arrive, can we then travel on to the other EU countries with no restrictions?

Cannot find a specific answer in my searching.
Thanks.

We've never had our fridge or cupboards checked at the Chunnel, just the gas. We take everything we need.

Hi All,

We have a trip booked where we will be using the Eurotunnel into France then on into Belgium, Netherlands and Germany.

If we follow the food restrictions about what you can take to France and then stock up on food at a French supermarket when we arrive, can we then travel on to the other EU countries with no restrictions?

Thanks.
Yes.

We've never had our fridge or cupboards checked at the Chunnel, just the gas. We take everything we need.
Same here, only they never checked our gas either. Just asked if it is turned off And if we carried knives. Err yes we do it’s a camper. no problem then.

Hi All,

Thanks.
There are no border controls to check anything that we’ve ever experienced after crossing into France.

There is free movement of people, goods & services within the EU.
There should be no issues at internal border crossings.
The only thing we've been asked by the Douarniers when entering at Dunkerque from Dover is whether we have sufficient funds to return home to the UK. Then only once.
We've been waved through every other time (If there was someone on duty).

If you buy food in Germany, it will be cheaper for you, food,... is the cheapest there, I thought

Yes for other EU, but could be an issue if you venture in to Switzerland. We got pulled over at a roadside check in Switzerland and were questioned on how much meat we were bringing in from the EU...

Yes for other EU, but could be an issue if you venture in to Switzerland. We got pulled over at a roadside check in Switzerland and were questioned on how much meat we were bringing in from the EU...
Yes, correct. The Swiss customs authorities check on the amount of meat you bring in regularly. The maximum allowed quantity is 1 kilogram meat or meat products per person (children included).

On our first trip abroad in the Cali, after we'd had it a week (years ago), we were asked to open the bonnet. The customs people had such a good laugh that we couldn't find the lever that they didn't ask us anything else!

Back